what does it mean by writing a song?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by gdhimu, Apr 18, 2017.

1. gdhimu

gdhimu Public Figure

Currency:
    I don't really know much about music. if I like a song I like it if I don't I don't

and I have a serious question
    what does writing a song mean?
    id it about writing lyrics? or composing a song[tune]? or arranging it? or determining they style of music they want?

what do these groups like bigbang/bts/SVT/akmu/ikon/winner do?
    do they just write lyrics or compose and arrange everything?
    as for composing and arranging it require a wide range of music knowledge if I am not wrong. it is done by an actual music producer as far as I know
    so do all these idols writing their own songs does it really mean they are completely producing their own songs?

as fan of bigbang I know GD writes lyrics ,teddy and kush etc arrange the song. [TOP and taeyang help sometimes]
    if it is the same case with every group that writes their own songs whats the big deal then? writing their own lyrics doesnt create a style.[lyrics just create the subject/content of the song] the style is created by the one that actually composes the song right.

why do people actually look down on groups that don't write their own songs even though the songs have very good quality. I mean you dint prefer a sloppy self composed song to a well produced song even though its not written by the group that is singing right

what are your thoughts and opinions about this?

p.s. even I used to look down on groups that dont write their own songs. but I have changed my opinion after knowing the actual process of being an idols and how much hard work it takes to be where they are now

#1 gdhimu, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    chiblet28, EXOiztheBEST and Eithra like this.
  2. seokyu_lee

seokyu_lee Trainee

Currency:
    Student
    If a person says they write a song then they mean they write the lyrics. But if they say they compose or produce a song then they've usually wrote the lyrics and arranged the song.

The big deal is most groups don't even write their own lyrics and its only become a trend in newer groups because of how competitive the industry has gotten recently (thousands of trainees dont even get to debut and another few hundred flop after a year). Plus song writing isn't as easy as it sounds and arranging a song is even harder. You ever tried to write a song that doesn't sound shitty? It's hard.

I don't think its so much that people look down on those that dont write their own lyrics but instead look up to those that do because its inspiring and shows how hardworking/determined these idols are to succeed. If they can write their own lyrics and arrange a song, choreograph their dances and do well at variety they're more likely to do well as they don't have to wait for someone else to write a song AND they cost their company less so more money on production as the company doesn't have to hire extra song writers, choreographers and producers when the idols can do it.

All idols work hard but because of how competitive the industry has become, idols are now working even harder. Song writing is a skill that is handy for any artist but it also has the cons of creating less jobs for song writers.

I personally don't care as long as the music is good but I can see why people praise those that self write, compose, choreograph as it shows extra talent and creativity.

3. kamypop

kamypop Trendsetter

Currency:
    I don't really know to be honest, a lot of people write their song. I would think that writing means only taking part in writing the lyrics, composing and producing is actually working on the arrangement and the melody ? But what you are wondering is a good thing... We talk about this all the time but do we know what exactly they do in the process ? Not really ...
    Sorry I did not help :whatr:
    I mean writing the song is still an important part of the process so I would say we should not minimize their role but yes, they are definitely not doing it on their own ! I would think they most of the time come with a melody so they might influence the arranging a bit but it is definitely someone else job :) !
    Honestly, I rather have a good song not produce or wrote by a singer, than an horrible song wrote or produce by them ! I don't see why they are judge tbh :fingerk:

gdhimu and Eithra like this.
  4. Darkyoda

Darkyoda Brightest Golden Star

Currency:
    Buddy Gang
    Writing a song means exactly what it says, writing the lyrics to a song.
    Composing and arranging a song is usually done by professionals. However, a lot of artist who write the lyrics to their songs usually do get involved in the process of composing and arranging because they want to determine the direction the sound of the song is going take.
    I'll take Jessica's Wonderland as an example.
    She wrote the lyrics and composed the song. This means that the sound of the song was determined by her. However, she didn't arrange the song so stuff like the modulations and transitions in the song are done by somebody else.

Now for the next part of your OP. People look down on groups who don't sing their own work because, most of the time, they don't know what the hell they're singing about. It's not personal. It's manufactured.
    But I do agree. I would much rather have a well produced song than a sloppy one. However, I also think that music written or composed by the artist itself is special (even if it's sloppy) because it's like their baby. They created it. It's personal and special to them.

#4 Darkyoda, Apr 18, 2017
  5. Haeryn

Haeryn Idol

Currency:
    Fans use these terms very loosely. The huge majority of idols that "write songs" actually only partake in the lyrics writing (which is already good in itself if they're good at it). To see what's their real contribution, you just need to look at the credit of the songs. There's always three categories : lyrics (or writer), producing, arrangement. Traditionally, people are listed in the order of importance they took in each category (there are almost always several people for lyrics, etc... it's not one person does the lyrics, another does the composition).

And idols writing songs has become a trend and an excuse to shit on other groups by some of the fans of groups that produce. I personally don't really care whether idols produce themselves or not. I prefer a well produced song rather a bad one done by the idols themselves. But some idols are good at it and if they are, they should keep doing it but a self-produced song doesn't automatically means that it will be a good song and not everyone seems to understand that.

gdhimu and Cutie888 like this.
  6. Cutie888

Cutie888 Married to :@ilovetzuyoda

Currency:
    maybe one person does one thing and another person does something else, but there are song writers that does everything into creating a song on their own. I'm not really sure. I don't look down on artists who don't write their own songs, but I admire people who do write their own songs, especially if it's good because song writing and making good music isn't something everyone can do.

gdhimu likes this.
  7. gdhimu

gdhimu Public Figure

Currency:
    agreed. most probably its true for many idols who write

kamypop likes this.
  8. gdhimu

gdhimu Public Figure

Currency:
    agree on these points

9. gdhimu

gdhimu Public Figure

Currency:
    I agree on that point. mostly those who write may also know what kind of songs they want so probably influence the song/genre.
    also agree we can see artist's color in self written/composed song

Darkyoda likes this.
  10. ImDaOne

ImDaOne Married to: @Elizabeth_Xin

Currency:
    people in general use the term very loosely
    how do we know for certain they compose and/or arrange? well because they have been seen using a DAW ("digital audio workstation")
    people say iKON and Winner "write their music" but we've seen ever since WIN/Mix&Match and other shows that they compose it and arrange it to a certain extent
    (also something to note is that a lot of the time by arrangement this means mixing and mastering which has to be made by a team of professional sound engineers so they obviously do not participate in that process)
    same goes for Bigbang, in Infinity Challenge we could see how GD made the song from scratch, he made the instrumental and the lyrics
    Zico too, we've seen him in SMTM and Infinity Challenge composing songs
    Suga too, on twitter, and i think i saw him in a bangtan bomb
    i pay a lot of attention to these details bc i'm a composer too lol
    (Everyone uses FL Studio btw lol)

and we know a lot of idols nowadays participate in lyric writing and then again there's a back-entry (if we could call it that, not a native speaker lol): not everyone makes 100% of the vocal track, the notes put into it/its "Melody" could be done by someone else (Say the composer, or maybe from the demo they bought) and all they do is write the lyrics over it, following the original work's syllable distribution, you can see this a lot in old SM productions (this is what Jonghyun did for Juliette)

#10 ImDaOne, Apr 18, 2017
    gdhimu and Myrhia like this.
  11. Myrhia

Myrhia Idol

Currency:
    Necromancing
    Usually if a person makes a melody for a song along with writing the lyrics, that person is still called a song writer and gets song writing credits. ^^ that's a bit different from the lyricists who only write lyrics ^^
    Composers work with the instrumentals And producers with MIDI and arrangement

gdhimu likes this.
  12. gdhimu

gdhimu Public Figure

Currency:
    thank you very much for the info. so most of the times writing a song means writing a lyrics/creating a melody for the song to certain extent. so most of the actual work is done by some one else. creating a whole song must be very difficult

ImDaOne likes this.
  13. southclubstan

southclubstan Venice Bitch

Currency:
    Going to YG's building with a knife
    Arrangment is normally done by a proffessional and you have to study the whole machine.The only Idol I know who arranged their song is Bobby and B.I . I think Taehyun arranged Im young too and Seungyoon for Diffrerent

chiblet28 and gdhimu like this.
  14. ImDaOne

ImDaOne Married to: @Elizabeth_Xin

Currency:
    a lot of the time, yes, specially in the big 3, even if they actively participate in the production there's at least a few producers around supervising, helping them ocasionally and advicing, this is most likely to get the executive team's trust, for example in YG: iKon, Winner and Bigbang made almost the 100% of their releases nowadays, but regardless Teddy, Choice37, Future Bounce and Kush are always around to help, we could see this for IKON in M&M and for Bigbang in one of the old 2NE1 and Bigbang/YGTV's, and i think Winner TV too.

some extra info if you want:
    in BTS the distribution is like this: rappers make the rap, the producer of the song (which a lot of the time is themselves and ocasionally someone like Supreme Boi helps them) and the vocalists participate in writing the pre-chorus, chorus, post-chorus and bridge, the line distribution is made afterwards according to who performs which part the best, it's old info but i'm sure it's still like this (actually, they get even more freedom nowadays)
    in Block B, given the situation they're in (small, exclusive company) they produce almost 100% of it and everyone participates in some way
    B.A.P. is the same
    EXID's last release was mostly made by themselves alone
    IU has made her own music since the start, mostly lyrics but ocasionally the instrumental too
    AkMu makes their music 100% on their own because they supposedly protested strongly against YG when their team tried to influence them (they tried to change their singing style and some of their songs: AkMu didn't appear at all for like 2 weeks and YG's team was hella worried, then they decided to let them be)

in SM i can't say for sure, i know that SM almost completely stopped buying demo's and instead get in-house producers or at least familiar ones for their stuff, and nowadays we can see how idols participate a LOT in the producing, i know Seohyun made 100% of her lyrics, BoA ever since Kiss My Lips does 100% of the work too
    also Jonghyun, Henry and Amber make almost 100% of their music, Henry and Amber each have their own teams

now something i don't really understand is what does people mean when they say arranging...some take it as making the song from a midi to an actual thing, some others say it's mixing & mastering, some others say it's the supervision, honestly though i have no idea but i'm guessing the 2nd choice because that's the way i use the term lol

and yes making a whole song by oneself is a pain in the axx i can tell you by experience lmfao

chiblet28 and gdhimu like this.
  15. gdhimu

gdhimu Public Figure

Currency:
    thank u for the information
    and I have no knowledge about music. I always thought arranging a song means either its providing instrumentals/about the song progression. I have no idea. what u said might be true too

ImDaOne likes this.
  16. robertdale

robertdale Newbie

Currency:
    Even though I work as a professional writer and I am writing different papers almost every day I think writing the lyrics for song it is one of the hardest thing! I try few times but result was not very happy :(