What are your thoughts on cancel culture?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by looneyjoons, Oct 12, 2019 at 9:36 PM.

1. looneyjoons

looneyjoons Public Figure

Is it stupid? do you agree w it?

2. Lulu_Key

Lulu_Key Veteran

Astronaut
    I just want people to understand that they cant cancel someone they never stanned

3. Eye_Dull

Eye_Dull Super Rookie

We should cancel cancel culture
    :teeheek:

People are so easily offended these days, if they wanna be miserable and "cancel" people let them it's the only joy they get out of life.

4. Rion_kun

Rion_kun Newbie

It's super toxic and problematic.

suprememadisyn and Znewie71 like this.
  5. harambeisalive

It's stupid and achieves nothing.

6. ItsMilly43

ItsMilly43 ✧༺♥༻✧

"Cancelling" someone literally does nothing. Especially since the majority of the time, the people "cancelling" someone weren't even fans to begin with so have 0 affect on anything.

But I suppose if it makes people feel good about themselves then keep going with it.

7. boringgirl

boringgirl Celebrity

Produce Trash
    It's dumb. Imagine wanting to ruin the career of an idol you don't even care about. Like imagine if some random stranger on the internet wanted to get you fired from your job then how would you feel?

#7 boringgirl, Oct 12, 2019 at 9:48 PM
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 10:46 PM
  8. prodigy210

prodigy210 Trendsetter

let people cancel who they want to cancel

ItsMilly43 likes this.
  9. ariesrivas

ariesrivas Newbie

stripper? nah
    i just think of it as a vsco package.

10. HDMZ

HDMZ Newbie

I love that shit. Political correctness is the greatest thing this generation has to offer. I really like seeing people get dragged and bashed over trivial things. I hate when people try to educate the offenders because education is overrated. The backlash is the fun part. Internet won't be this interesting without the SJW getting triggered at any moment and tering down someone's life.

11. MassiveKpopFan

MassiveKpopFan Trendsetter

Student
    Oh boy. What a topic. Can't wait to see this blow up by morning.

Anyway, my thoughts on cancel culture is that rarely does anything of meaning. In most cases, not even just k-pop, where people have outrage over things they don't fully understand (and look dumb and ignorant for it), or don't care about the issue and just to want to see someone's image, career, or even life ruined (which doesn't make them any better). It is most often a figurative witch hunt where a person or group is persecuted relentlessly over a mistake they made that may not even be recent, but because it suits a narrative some people want filled, they will push it anyways. And in a culture that is heavily influenced by political correctness, the Me Too movement and women's rights, increased social media use, and human rights activism, something said that is seen as wrong today can completely tarnish someone.

On the occasion that someone or some group does something a repeated amount of times, doesn't apologize, and doesn't learn from their mistakes, then, and only then, can the word "cancelled" be used. Too often cancel culture is much too quick to vilify and slow to be impartial and learn all of the facts about something, as well as take multiple cultural, sociological, and social features into consideration. K-pop stans in particular are of a different breed when it comes to cancelling someone ISTG. And if you even think of trying to understand or question why someone was cancelled, you're harassed right along with the cancelled individual. Which is a mindset I'm terrified of. It's like Maury but on the Internet if you get the reference.

That's my 2 cents, and I frankly think it should just end, especially in k-pop. All of us, fans and idols, are human and are capable of making mistakes. Please, take the time to actually learn about an issue and be an objective fan. If your idol f*cked up, oh well. Deal with it and educate them in a polite manner.

12. j-hof

j-hof Trainee

Didn't we have a thread with same or similar title just like last week or so?

suprememadisyn likes this.
  13. Njiah

Njiah Newbie

I always see the same people being canceled multiple times, so they're canceled then they get canceled again?

L_catzzz and ItsMilly43 like this.
  14. possiblymad

possiblymad Celebrity

Cancel culture makes no sense, people see something someone famous did or said years and years ago and use this in order to start a chain of how good people they are by canceling that famous person? What really is their point? Do the cancel culture believe people can't change? Cancel culture believe people have the same mentality they had years ago? Cancel culture is only made by people who wanna feel better about themselves by pointing mistakes, it's a very odd behavior, and ignorant to say the least specially if they use this to show how "good" people they are. I have to laugh. Good people for sure are not around on the internet hating famous people because they did something wrong 100 years ago but hey that's how cancel culture are, just nonsensical. I think the thought of "people are mean forever, people don't change, people are born bad!1" is just not correct, everyone is different. Sometimes it just looks like bandwagon, they are like a "cult", a very silly one.

Znewie71 and ItsMilly43 like this.
  15. soapycolors

soapycolors Newbie

Salesperson
    i think cancel culture is just ppl pretending to b woke af when in reality they’re literally just nitpicking things to cancel ppl for

16. taigoesrawr

taigoesrawr Super Rookie

fighting mosquito's with Gowonie~
    it's kind of annoying~i feel like nobody actually stays "cancelled" ... people like Trisha Paytas, James Charles, the ACE Family, Danielle Cohn (and so many more...) get cancelled often and they still get tons of views and $$$...

17. Theo35

Theo35 Celebrity

18. Znewie71

Znewie71 Idol

I never understood it, just like I dont understand the petition culture but that whole petition thing isnt popular in America, well for right now tho.

19. Cherries_Bombed

*copied from bashing thread but it still reflects how I feel about cancel culture now.

Cancel culture doesn't exist the way people think it does, otherwise abusive pieces of shit like Chris Brown wouldn't still have a fucking career. Everyone keeps worrying about "cancel culture" but that shit is obviously a fucking myth, otherwise celebrities like Chris Brown, James Charles and Jeffree Star would not have careers at all. Hell, James Charles literally regained the 3M+ followers that supposedly "cancelled him". Jeffree Star has been violently racist towards black women, but somehow everyone has selective ass memory just because he "apologized" (which let's not kid ourselves here, it was only because he did not want to lose money). These guys are the epitome of trash, yet they still have successful ass careers. If that bullshit doesn't prove that cancel culture isn't real then I'm not sure what will.

Cancel culture is nothing more than a myth. A few people getting angry on Twitter does NOT equal being cancelled. If that person is still able to have a successful career and make money then they have NOT been cancelled.

#19 Cherries_Bombed, Oct 12, 2019 at 10:41 PM
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 10:56 PM
  20. SunnyLife

SunnyLife Celebrity

Cancel culture has become such a trend and meme that I'm not sure anymore when people use it if they are actually "cancelling" or if they're joking around.

MassiveKpopFan likes this.