Were You Disappointed This Year?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by litc, Dec 29, 2019.

1. litc

litc Super Rookie

Currency:
    trying not to die
    By any comebacks of groups (or soloists) you are a fan of? Were there comebacks that you disliked from your faves this year? You can also put somewhat disappointments if a comeback was just ok to you and slight disappointments if you liked a comeback but it wasn't as good as last year's releases or b-sides were better than the title track or anything where you were disappointed but still liked the comeback. For each group or soloist you name please also list your favorite title track (and explain if you want) so that this thread isn't completely negative. Also please explain why you disliked the comeback but no bashing. You can say stuff like "this sounded like noise", "the instrumental was bad" "the rap was too fast for her" "the key was too high for him" or anything without bashing. This thread is just to have a discussion and for people to be able to express their opinions and disappointments:)
    I'll start.

Disappointments:
    Seventeen:
    • Favorite Title Track: Boom Boom. This song is just so catchy and has an iconic dance. I love the instrumental and how well it goes with the music. The snapping is just ingenious. I love the energy throughout the song and how it has more vocals than rap. The beat is great and the song makes me want to song. And the ad libs are great.
    • Disappointing comeback: Hit. Home and Fear were fine, but this one was a disappointment. It's especially disappointing for me because I had liked all of Seventeen's title tracks until this song. The song seems like something anyone could make and seems haphazard. The instrumentals are too loud with relation to the vocals and the chorus is not it imo. I find it too noisy and less melodic.

Monsta X:
    • Favorite title track: Fighter. I love the rock sound they have going on here and I love Shownu, Wonho, and Kihyun's adlibs. Go vocal line! Joohoney and I.M. killed the rap as usual and it fit nicely in the song, didn't seem out of place. I also love the energy throughout the song. There isn't a single boring part. I hope they have another rock comeback sometime.
    • Disappointing comeback: Follow. The instrumental is too loud during the chorus part and I dislike the chorus part itself as well. I also find this song too noisy. It might have been ok without the chorus and the corresponding instrumental, but with it, it was a disappointment. I miss their melodic releases like Jealousy or Dramarama and hypes like Rush.

Somewhat Disappointment:
    Exo:
    • Favorite Title Track: Love Me Right. The entire song is so catchy and the instrumental is great and fits it so well. It seems like a perfect pop song and I couldn't get it out of my head for weeks and don't think I'll ever get tired of it. And vocals were on point as usual. The chorus is great and the song makes me want to dance.
    • Somewhat Disappointing comeback: Obsession. At first I thought I liked the song mostly because of the "I don't think so" parts. Yesterday I listened to it with headphones for the first time and I liked it less and it became just ok. Chanyeol's rap here as well is probably too fast for him. His raps in Loveshot and Tempo were better. The album itself is my least favorite EXO album because there are songs I find just ok, and exo is my bias group and I like most of their songs.

Slight Disappointment:
    Super Junior:
    • Favorite Title Track: It's You. I don't think I'll ever get tired of this song. It's not in your face, but it's catchy. The melody is great and song is chill yet has so much energy. Vocals are on point as usual.
    • Slightly Disappointing comeback: Super Clap. I liked Super Clap but I like all the b-sides they released with music videos or special videos better. I also liked last year's comebacks better.

Your turn. Please don't bash and remember everything on this thread will be opinions. They shouldn't affect your enjoyment or disappointment of the music. Hopefully we can just have a nice discussion and maybe you'll find people who agree with you:)

2. jisungstoes

jisungstoes Married to @jeonginsnose

Currency:
    i actually wasn't disappointed by any of the groups that i'm like avid fans of
    i loved everything nct, exo, and red velvet put out (they're my top 3 groups)

3. Leean_Taeyong

Leean_Taeyong A-List

Currency:
    Factory Shit
    Exo was a HUGE disappointment

4. litc

litc Super Rookie

Currency:
    trying not to die
    What are your favorite title tracks though:) But it's great you weren't disappointed! For me, nct dream and ikon pulled through
    What's your favorite title track? And what was your least favorite part of Obsession:whatr:

soapycolors likes this.
  5. LastResort318

LastResort318 Barbie&Ken♡

Currency:
    Putting suprememadisyn in a wheelchair
    I’m sorta disappointed with only one comeback in first full year of being a BTS fan but they released quite a few songs anyways plus Kookie with his teaser of his songs has me super excited. I quite enjoyed this year.

6. popularit

popularit Public Figure

Currency:
    The Wei Wuxian to my Lan Wangji
    all my ults (except maybe nct) didnt disappoint me
    skz did amazing this year im so proud of them
    ateez monster rookies +first win
    txt having wayy too much talent for me to handle and the songs and performances are just amazing + first win
    shinee key dropped a bop before enlistment, minho showed off his vocal skills, and taemin just being godly at everything he does
    wayv almost disappointed me with that regular remix then we got take off, moonwalk, love talk and oh my GOD the tenxwinwin dance sfedkfnsfcsd im still not over it
    dreamcatcher only dropping bops criminally underrated
    day6 obviously they did amazing and they got their first win which is honestly a shame cuz shoot me shouldve gotten a win like
    the rose. red. thats it thats the sentence

now nct kinda disappointed me with superhuman its a bop but i can only listen when im in the mood... now highway to heaven whew chile

7. litc

litc Super Rookie

Currency:
    trying not to die
    It's good that it wasn't too disappointing for you! What's your favorite title track? Mine's I Need U:)

8. injailumyho

injailumyho Super Rookie

Currency:
    SHINee Cult Leader
    ITZY: I actually liked dalla dalla but only the chorus/pre chorus. Icy just wasn’t it for me I couldn’t get into it and that’s when I kinda stopped keep up with them. Hopefully they come back with a stronger comeback and some more vocal training because damn we’re they straining.

soapycolors and litc like this.
  9. litc

litc Super Rookie

Currency:
    trying not to die
    What's your favorite NCT 127 title track though? Mine's Touch

soapycolors likes this.
  10. LastResort318

LastResort318 Barbie&Ken♡

Currency:
    Putting suprememadisyn in a wheelchair
    Proably Fake Love followed by I Need U. Boy With Luv would be third.

11. popularit

popularit Public Figure

Currency:
    The Wei Wuxian to my Lan Wangji
    chain and limitless

12. litc

litc Super Rookie

Currency:
    trying not to die
    Thank you! This was a great response and the type I was hoping for. Hopefully other Midzys or former midzys share their views!

soapycolors and injailumyho like this.
  13. litc

litc Super Rookie

Currency:
    trying not to die
    Coolio:)

soapycolors likes this.
  14. Kireta

Kireta Trainee

Currency:
    Exo's fulltime babygirl
    I guess I’m one of the few Ls that loved the obsession comeback. It finally got me excited for kpop again as most of 2019 was pretty disappointing.

15. litc

litc Super Rookie

Currency:
    trying not to die
    What was disappointing for you? What's your favorite exo title?

soapycolors likes this.
  16. Kireta

Kireta Trainee

Currency:
    Exo's fulltime babygirl
    I was disappointed with Bts boy in luv, don’t get me wrong the song is catchy and I listened to it when it first came out but it got boring real quick and was just another pop song to me

When zimzalabim first came out I remembered my initial reaction being like “wtf is this” but after 20 listens it’s a banger lol does that count as a disappointment too?

Mamamoo’s hip was an ok song for me as well. Catchy chorus the rest is forgettable

Kinda hard for me to pick my favourite exo title track but I would have to agree love me right was on repeat ever since It came out. But growl is superior

17. BlackpinkHouse

BlackpinkHouse Public Figure

Currency:
    Only Slightly Disappointed with Fancy. After the string of unbelievable mega bops in Heartshaker, What is Love, DTNA, and Yes or Yes, Fancy was a slight disappointment, it's one of their weaker title songs. I put it above TT and Likey as part of the bottom 3 of my least faves.

litc likes this.
  18. harambeisalive

harambeisalive Super Rookie

Currency:
  19. icyruios

icyruios Idol

Currency:
    Started off great with this

then become meh.....

but ended great with this

Tazbaby5, litc and soapycolors like this.
  20. Flummoxedaf

Flummoxedaf Trainee

Currency:
    in terms of music no everything else... yep