weight loss motivation

Discussion in 'Fashion & Beauty' started by NovaLuna, Feb 3, 2020.

1. NovaLuna

NovaLuna Idol

Currency:
    chipmunk
    I don't talk about it that often, but I watch obesity documentaries to keep myself from overeating. I have recently told this to a couple of my friends and they have never heard of these shows and they said that it helped them just the same way it did to me. I am writing this rant so that maybe it will be of help to someone too.

Why I don't like to talk about it is because I don't want to insult anyone or make such people feel bad about it, because these people are suffering, but seeing people so obese helps me to ration my food better and to pick better food options.

Watching these documentaries also helps me realize that it's no one's fault but their own. They were the ones that chose to eat instead of dealing with their troubles, whatever that they've been. Because it all comes down to a choice - my choice. It helped me a lot to remember that whenever I am buying food. I keep telling myself - "It all depends on you." I realized that I look for an excuse to eat even if I never even thought about it. That I try to justify my choices by "I had a bad day; I feel sad; I got a bad grade; I am failing; I feel lonely" or any other sentence. And it helped me realize that those are not valid excuses, no matter how they sound. It in a way helped me to become stronger. And I can see my ability to resist temptations is getting better and better, which I am happy about.

[​IMG]

I especially like watching "My 600lb life" because that show doesn't only show these individuals like a freak show, like "look how big they are, how many things they can't do, how they are dependent and disgusting", but it shows them as humans, as someone who went through a lot in their life and the reason why they chose this path. It also tries to help the people with diet, exercise, therapy and surgery. It chronicles their whole journey and I absolutely love to watch when they loose so much weight and start to move around much more and do thing they never could and have a better life.

Also the amazing doctor on the show doesn't take any bullshit and says how it is - which also could be said to many people that are overweight even if not to a huge extent. And I take his words and hear them for myself. And I love how they never for get the main and most important part - psychological therapy, which many doctors and people exclude.

[​IMG]

Another show that is very very good is "Supersize vs Superskinny". This is a completely different and needed take on the whole eating disorder specter. The show acknowledges that an eating disorder doesn't have only one side and that one of them is more terrible than the other. People that are severely over and underweight are put into a clinic where they suffer shock therapy for 3 days - where they switch their food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. For the heavy people it is a shock to realize how huge their portions are, how unhealthy the food is. For the thin - it shows that not eating is not better than overeating and that they are not getting enough of nutrients to survive healthily.

The show also talks a lot about the scientific part of the human body or the way some food is made or how that food affects our body - in a very simple way. Which is very eye opening. Because when you don't know - you don't care. But when you do - you do think twice before buying some foods or ration them differently.

It does however not talk about psychological help that much, because it is very essential to the whole process of choosing the healthy lifestyle.

[​IMG]

I ranted this much to my friends as well, so sorry for the length. I have watched a lot of documentaries where overweight people are shown as a "disgusting" train-wreck that people can't help but stare at, which I think is a very wrong way of approaching the subject of an eating disorder.

If anyone has any good documentary, TV show or a movie that might be inspirational and not just a laughing stock, you could absolutely share it. Especially if it talks about the science part of the disorder, human anatomy or the food we buy everyday.

For those who read till the end - thank You for your patience.

Zuko1 and magito like this.
  2. popularit

popularit ☂Astraphobic☂

Currency:
    Taemin's Wife
    i watch those videos for the opposite effect

NovaLuna likes this.
  3. NovaLuna

NovaLuna Idol

Currency:
    chipmunk
    For wanting to gain weight? I can see how "Supersize vs Superskinny" can help with that. But how does "My 600lb life" help? Just simply curious.

magito likes this.
  4. popularit

popularit ☂Astraphobic☂

Currency:
    Taemin's Wife
    kinda of like a... whats the word for it like it gives me a limit

magito and NovaLuna like this.
  5. mixlikes

mixlikes Newbie

Currency:
    Correct your diet and do not eat too much-fried food. Proper exercise will reduce your weight quickly.

NovaLuna likes this.
  6. Angelrum_rum

Angelrum_rum Newbie

Currency:
    I think motivation is something that we can't generalize...everyone has his own

7. donnabell87

donnabell87 Newbie

Currency:
    I want to lose weight and get fit, but I have absolutely no motivation to go to the gym. And I don't know where I can get that motivation..Moreover, I have health problems and I feel constantly tired, so I don't even have the strength and energy to train. One thing I know for sure, if I want to get some results, I have to change something. So I found a blog that has great information about the advantages of healthy food and all the necessary tips on how to change my life and become a better version of myself. I hope that these tips will help me solve my health problems and I will finally get to the gym and find the strength to take up some sport and restore my health.

#7 donnabell87, Jul 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  8. janedoe00

janedoe00 Newbie

Currency:
    I am struggling with motivation and weight loss, it is really hard for me. It depends on a lot of factors