Vpop Official Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cutie888, Jun 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Uni909

Uni909 Celebrity

Guardian of the WJSN system
    UNI5, Monstar and ST.365 should seriously consider do a project group together. Maybe it can get all of them more popularity?
    [​IMG]

VVisual and Cutie888 like this.
  2. Cutie888

Cutie888 Married to :@ilovetzuyoda

Yeah I remember I few years back where I watched a video from Just Kidding News in YouTube and one of the girls was a Vietnamese American and they were talking about something I can’t remember but she ended up talking about in Vietnam people don’t write new songs, they only sing the same songs over and over again.

I’m like no girl no! I guess because she grew up here so she only knows about Paris By Night, Asia, Van Son. These shows in America only cater to middle age and elderly Viet Kieu people but their parents watch it and the kids watch along even though they might not like it. Like that’s not Vpop though, but obviously she didn’t know that and ended up giving people who know nothing about Vietnam the wrong info about Viet music.

For me even though I grew up in the US most of my life, I’ve always followed Vpop ever since I was 9 or 10 and I loved it even though back then Vpop wasn’t as developed as it is now and TBH I listen to Vpop more than I listen to western music right now

VVisual likes this.
  3. Cutie888

Even though it’s like a commercial for a body wash (that I’ve actually used before:eek:) but the song is ok. I like Osad’s rap and the part where Amee goes Uuuu Lalalala :D it sounds very catchy.

I’ve gotten used to her very high pitched voice even though I know it can bother some people.

Uni909 likes this.
  4. VVisual

VVisual Newbie

But PbN is VPOP. Just VPOP from an earlier generation :)

I think we are too into the KPOP EDM/R&B derivative as being "true" VPOP. But right now, that particular segment is niche in Vietnam and really only popular among some younger folks. Mainstream Vietnamese pop music is ballad heavy, let's be honest.

Cutie888 and Uni909 like this.
  5. VVisual

VVisual Newbie

I think we like VPOP to be like KPOP because of the international prestige. But is it really what Vietnamese like? I like it but I'm Viet Kieu and I think most of us in this forum do. But I'm not so sure about Vietnam.

Anyhow, if we want international exposure then SGO48 should provide a pathway since AKB48 has a large base of fans across Asia. And if we like KPOP then we can encourage SGO48 to create a KPOP trained subunit like 7Senses from SNH48.

7Senses generate a lot of attention in both Japan and Korea because they bridge both.

6. Uni909

Uni909 Celebrity

It's so true that ballad genre is what 99% of vietnamese listen to. But I feel other genres are becoming increasingly very popular.

Take for example hip hop and EDM. I've talked to some vietnetizens and they told me a couple of years ago, hiphop was despised by audience. But look now, many of the major top artists in Vietnam are rappers. Binz, Jack with K-ICM, Osad, B-Ray and many others are doing well in the charts.

EDM has always been liked by viets beside ballads. Remember those cringey karaoke club songs? Yeah, only the EDM has evolved into the mainstream pop music scene now.

This is coming from the wrong mouth, since I've been sometimes complaining a lot of the vietnamese music industry since I can be so biased! :p But believe it or not, I think Vpop mainstream music are getting more and more attention for each year.

8 years ago, pop music barely got more than 300-500k views. Now, even smaller artists can easily hit 2-3 million views and over 100k likes. Ballad will be the dominant genre for the forseeable future I guess, but mainstream pop music is just behind. It goes in hand and hand with the developement of Vietnam's society as well.

I think what we see now, for example with D1Verse is a evolution of trying to develope the idol scene into more than just a small niche. I believe in D1Verse, all though I would prefer them to train one more extra year. They only been training since november and I think it's too short of a time. 2-3 years should be minimum.

I've been posting about Celeb Entertainment in the past. They are a newly talent agency created from the Steps2Fame show and collaberates with various korean people from their entertainment I believe. Nothing extraordinary has happened since they got three of the winners on a training period at FNC Entertainment. They trained there for 6 months and now returned to Vietnam. Not only music, but they are into, acting, fashion and modelling also. They've been hiring foreign mentors and traineers for teaching their trainees.
    [​IMG]

7. Uni909

Uni909 Celebrity

The solution for any upcoming Vpop groups is to get the huge Kpop fandom to them. From what I've read about SB19 success, that's where they succeeded in their home country. Most of the filipino Kpop fans are positive to them. D1Verse needs to accomplish that in order to be ahead of UNI5, Monstar and Zer09. Because the three latters have their fans, but also many Kpop fans do not like them. Especially Zer09...

Another solution that I've been mentioning 1000x times is a Produce 101 Vietnam. I believe not only Kpop fans will be on board, but many of the general audience and even outside of Vietnam.

[​IMG]

Cutie888 likes this.
  8. Cutie888

What I meant by saying PBN wasn’t Vpop because the way the girl in the video put it, she said that Vietnamese music sounds cliche and they don’t write new songs they only perform the same song over and over again. Because she only knows about PBN, Asia, and the shows over here that only perform the same old songs over and over again and tbh if you grew up in any western country and then you try to listen to PBN, you might not like it. Like those shows mainly perform 30 or 40% bolero, 20% weird disco or club music, and 10% ballads.

So my point is I didn’t like the fact that she told her 1 million something followers that that’s what Vpop is all about when it’s not. In Vietnam people do write new songs and they don’t perform the same songs over and over again.

Anywho here’s a random video of Vpop songs from 2007 to 2017, but I think they songs they put in this video from 2007 through 2011 weren’t good choices “-“ but from the looks of it Vpop started to get better around 2012 to 2013 :D and boy did the old songs have such bad camera quality and..... get ready to cover your ears because HKT is in the video at one point.

#3388 Cutie888, Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    VVisual and Uni909 like this.
  9. Cutie888

Not bad

VVisual and Uni909 like this.
  10. Uni909

Uni909 Celebrity

I hope some VPOP artists goes to America or Western Europe and perform on these cultural festivals. I think then young viet kieus will see that vietnamese music is more than just PNB and Bolero. But there is a huge challenge. Many viet kieu community don't like communist regime, and will usually boycott every entertainers that are coming to America. They think artists and actors working in Vietnam are a part of the communist party.

Oh god, these quality were super bad! And the 99% of pop music back then was just pure ballads. I'm glad things has loosen up a bit now, even though the ballad element still are visible in every Vpop videos(love-tragic story, slow parts) :)

Cutie888 likes this.
  11. Uni909

Uni909 Celebrity

Cutie888 likes this.
  12. VVisual

VVisual Newbie

More diverse music but still a long ways off for most other forms. I think we should accept the ballads as the dominant genre of our pop identity.

Well take, for example, Uni5. Arguably the most popular KPOP-influenced VPOP group. All their songs get around 5-10M views. They went ballad in their last couple of songs so I'll ignore those views. But Ke Cap Trai Tim, year ago, was KPOP genre and it had 6M views.

Thien An's ballad Do Ta Khong Do Nang has 85M views. And it is just one of multiple covers of this Chinese song. There are at least two other other Vietnamese versions DTKDN that have over 17M views each.

The Korean-influence in Vietnamese pop which is mainly fast-paced dance music is still far behind the slower-paced traditional songs that tends to be ballads. Ballads are more in sync with our "Chinese" side to be perfectly honest. Covers, even just subs, of Chinese ballads generate a lot of views.

But I think there can be a happy medium. One of the genres going viral in Vietnam (through TikTok) is Folk EDM. The origin is CPOP but it is dance music from traditional songs that I think really fits our sensibilities.

Son Tung M-TP's Lac Troi is a variation of Folk EDM in Vietnamese. It is a traditional ballad with a modern beat.

Lac Troi has over 200M views :)

13. VVisual

VVisual Newbie

Oh! I understand you now. I watched videos of PbN as a kid because my mom and aunts and their friends watched them. Now that you mentioned it, I recalled tgat there was a lot of vaguely Latin type dances. I didn't think it was weird then because I didn't know any different. But I'm sure it would be different today.

There are ads for those kinds of shows still when you go to a Viet or Asian supermarket!

Yes, it would be way wrong if she said PbN is all there is to VPOP!

14. Uni909

Uni909 Celebrity

Ballad will have strong influence in vietnamese music in the forseeable future, but thank god it's a lot of varieties of music nowadays than 10 years ago.

UNI5, Monstar and even the dreaded Zer09 shows at least boy groups has a future in the vietnamese music scene. As you said, 5-10 million views are not bad considering vietnamese public prefer soloist. I would say they are mid-tiers. Now, we need a good girl group. I'm tired to all the failures we have seen in the past.

Cutie888 likes this.
  15. Uni909

Uni909 Celebrity

Han Sara seems to have a resurgence of her career after those plagarism accusations.

She and Tung Maru are starring in this show

16. Uni909

Uni909 Celebrity

@Cutie888 I don't know if you watched D1Verse first episode, but if you did, the scene where one of the member fell on their V Heartbeat confirms to me they need 1 more extra year of training. I don't think they are ready frankly :confused:

Cutie888 likes this.
  17. Uni909

Uni909 Celebrity

CZB or Crazy Bros LOL performed BTS - Boy With Luv. Seriously, have they trained in the Kpop way? Because it doesn't look like it. Warning: video is of bad quality

Maybe we should push UNI5 and Monstar? All these newcomers seems to be failures :confused: Or just wait for NCT-Vietnam....

#3397 Uni909, Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Cutie888 and VVisual like this.
  18. VVisual

VVisual Newbie

I think we have pushed Uni5 and Monstar but unfortunately they are at their level I think. Uni5 was our great hope as Viet fans and they had a following for a while with some international exposure on Youtube. But that momentum petered out, especially with Toki leaving.

We do need to start fresh with a new group. But how do we make that group not end up like Uni5 again? To begin with, they have to capture Vietnam first. A group that is niche even in Vietnam will have little standing globally.

But how do you create a group that can capture all of Vietnam? That is the question. The proven way is a nation group like Wanna One (or IOI for girls.)

China is similar to Vietnam in that it is ballad- and soloist-centric. But the PD101 shows have completely changed the Chinese industry. Idol Producer and then CZ101 (for girls) dominated China and because they dominated a whole country, they were picked up across Asia.

Those shows are covered heavily in Korea with Knetizens posting about the trainees (mainly about their visuals!)

This is YaoChi from IP2 blowing up on Korean media with his looks -- whom I think have Vietnamese vibes:

We really need our IP and our Nine Percent.

19. Uni909

Uni909 Celebrity

Yes I would like to see our own Rocket Girls and Nine Percent. They don't have to be made by a Produce show, I would even settle with a Idols School format since they aren't so many trainee agencies in Vietnam. I hope some ambitious company decides to do this like Yeah1 and Zing. I bet Yeah1 regrets sponsoring SGO48, because I think they are operating with loss with them.

As for UNI5 and Monstar, it's not too late for them to change things up. It depends what their company decides to do with them. If I were 6thSense, I would do a soft rework of the group. Change concept and add two more members, maybe koreans. I believe 6thSense has connections with korean agencies, since Luc Huy was MC for V Weekly with Jin Ju, who is a artist from RBW. I hope they can do a ''Nu'est'' step. Both groups are known by the public. I mean, Son Tung M-TP wasn't liked by the general audience in the past, but look at him now. If he can do it, so can they.

Cutie888 likes this.
  20. Cutie888

What do you mean by a Nu’est step ? Like have them participate in a survival show ?

Uni909 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted