Unpopular Opinions Thread/ It's So Funny How...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Galaxy_Angel, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Coco

Coco Super Rookie

Currency:
    That is true, back then there were other artists rather than idol groups like BTS and B.A.P who wrote socially conscious music, but the difference between them was that these two groups were idol groups, they have the visual + dance routines packed with good lyrics and music which made them distinctive against other idol groups. Usually male idol groups sing about being “so cool” or love and heartbreaks, but these two groups chose a different path and take on music which is why so many people ended up liking them, and they didn’t just do it once or twice or here and there, they’ve done so multiple times.

I believe when it comes to these two groups, looking at the lyrics is an important section since it’s a big part of their music, hence why we have professional translations or translators take their time so they convey their words perfectly and raw. If you go on twitter there are many good translators which do a great job and also there are some great analogies and the different perspectives on the songs. With these two groups it is a must.

That depends on the person, I personally learn the meaning of the songs and play them depending on my mood. It’s very rare when I jam to a song where I don’t even know what they’re saying... but I see what you mean

I would say this again, because both BTS and B.A.P have great lyrics, people usually anticipate what they’re preaching about next In their songs and that is something you can’t really do with many other groups in general. With other groups you’re free to groove with the beat whether you like the lyrics or not.
    These two groups have taken different routes and I know this might trigger some people, but In a few decades, if they still remain together I can see them being respected like Epik High.

If Baepsae had lyrics about love then yes it’s true that people would still jam to it because that song is clearly iconic, but the hype will soon die down because it’s would just be another generic love song, but because people subconsciously know what the actual lyrics to Baepsae are and how important of a song it is to BTS, people still talk about it because it triggers discussions.

I need you has lyrics about love and a good beat, but if it weren’t because of the storyline and theories behind it, it would’ve been soon forgotten as another love song like many of their old love songs (to name a few Just One Day, Autumn Leaves, For you, Blanket Kick etc..) because they’re the type of songs that you get over them after a while...

So yes, I do believe their lyrics and take on social issues is something that rose them both to them top, and hopefully less people sleep on B.A.P, even though their popularity seems to be increasing steadily too, right now they really need a hit song like Dope or Fire. Not saying an exact song like that, but they need something memorable like those two songs which are in fact also about societal issues but are more “on your face” with things like “I’ve worked harder than you and now I’m successful” and the other one the almost typical “fuck what people think, live your life how you want”.
    You might say something about Blood Sweat and Tears since it was a successful song of BTS and that song is in fact really sexy but the reason they didn’t become one hit wonders is because again, it had connections with the storyline they’re creating and the hint in the lyrics and whatever... you know, all those theories. Otherwise this song would now be long dead as another “typical pop song”.

2. Queeeenie

Queeeenie Leader

Currency:

I guess they are the most socially conscious idols around. I don't know how many international fans that draws in. From what I've seen it's their more traditional pop songs that got people's attention. They have very catchy choruses, it's a strength of theirs.

Memorising the meanings to all the lyrics of BTS songs, line by line, would take a lot of time which I don't have/am not willing to make. I commend fans for their dedication
    It's easier to understand their lyrics now they are less rap focused than before, thank the lord. Although I sort of miss their old format, I understand why they did it.
    I always say that had I been living in Korea, I might have a completely different taste in kpop because of the lyrics.
    Some of BTS' lyrics are a bit cringey to me (AKA War of Hormone and Boy in Luv, I Need U to some extent even). Bless their hearts. I love them to bits but sometimes it's only my ability to detach myself from the meaning of the lyrics that keeps me listening to certain songs.
    That's just my personal opinion of course.
    The rap line could rap the phone directory and make it sound good because they have good voices and know how to deliver lyrics in an interesting way.
    And I was jamming to Danger for a while before I looked up the lyrics because I liked the arrangement so much.

I don't think Blood Sweat and Tears would become a 'dead' song without the theories. It had a strong melody and good choreo and their energy made their stage performances very memorable.
    Every song loses popularity with time, no matter how successful it was when it was released.

There are plenty of well known, top selling kpop songs without all the theories. Big Bang have done just fine, top girl groups have too. Theories are a good marketing strategy but I already liked their stand alone music so it's pretty much useless to me.
    It does have a certain allure and keeps people tuning in...but without good music it doesn't really go anywhere.

BTS were never one hit wonders, more like back to back hit makers. I Need U, Run and Fire were all successful before Blood Sweat and Tears.
    I saw Fire as more of 'fuck the haters, let go and have fun" type of song, they didn't really do any social commentary in there as far as I know...

And I definitely see them being as respected as Epik High in the future, they are legends in the making.

B.A.P. aren't going anywhere with TS entertainment. It's a shame really. But good lyrics can only take you so far when other things are missing.

#22 Queeeenie, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  3. Queeeenie

Queeeenie Leader

Currency:
    I've been thinking a lot about the lyrics vs arrangement thing, and I think you do have a point. They do have a lot of songs that a speak to people, and they speak to people because of lyrical content. Perhaps some people just jumped on the bandwagon because they are popular but there are a lot of fans that really connected with their core message, fans who were affected to the point that they say BTS 'saved their life'. I totally get that, I was a super fan of theirs once for a similar reason.

Draft saved Draft deleted