Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

Topic: "Western Validation"

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by deadflagblues, Sep 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. deadflagblues

deadflagblues Entertainer

Kpop stans are confusing as hell when it comes to this topic.

BTS working with the chainsmokers is, in their view, desperation for western validation as if kpop with the attitude that kpop is to be held at a higher standard than western pop. However, the moment other groups get some sort of recognition or mention of their own group from popular western media or spokeperson, they fap to it as well.

?????

Discuss

2. vivante

vivante Artist

honestly, it's stupid

so some western artist noticed a kpop star. big deal. why do some fans need western validation? especially when most of those artists only do it to get some kind of stamp of approval from kpop fans

3. becci

becci Star

I think how you see it depends on whether you stan the group or not.
    If you stan the group you'll love it, if you don't you hate it.

4. svtsbreadnbutter

The only validation that was worth being happy about was bby Obama recognizing SHINee

5. deadflagblues

Bro I died when I saw it #best

6. Shellfish_Beach

Hm... it seems like you made this thread in order to defend your faves.

Anyway, the whole concept of needing Western validation is a joke. Kpop has always been and will always be a niche, and there's no sense in fooling yourself into thinking it'll become this explosive widespread phenomenon that will integrate with Western pop culture.

7. BlingingJams

Seeking Western Validation is like saying Kpop by itself isn't good enough... Unless you're Obama ofc then it's actually noteworthy

junmoneyyyy likes this.
  8. Jesusagrees

Jesusagrees Artist

But as much as I loved how the mention of SHINee came out of Obama's mouth, we cannot forget he has a speech writer and was using that as an example. Let's be real here, his speech writer is probably the true shawol here, Obama was probably like "how do we pronounce this fam?"

rinah108, estheram and freysan like this.
  9. BlingingJams

We were guessing his daughters were Shawols lol that sounds more fun

Jesusagrees likes this.
  10. Darkyoda47

Darkyoda47 Legend

Lol so you're basically asking us, why is it when BTS does something with western artist it's considered "western validation" but when another Kpop group gains some kind of western recognition, it is praised and noteworthy, right?

Alastrina and freysan like this.
  11. Jesusagrees

Jesusagrees Artist

I heard that too, I know his speech writer is very smart as the Obama is himself, but I am a realist here lol I was stoked and love all the Obama/SHINee memes though. True L E G E N D S!!

12. devilinblack1

devilinblack1 Artist

Back in the day western artists used kpop artists as eastern validation LOL. (there is nothing wrong with mutual benefit)

#12 devilinblack1, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    Alastrina likes this.
  13. chantelmackey12

I feel like ther is a difference in western validation and collabs with foreign artists. I love seeing international collabs and I think its always great, however I hate it when people think the song or group is great now because they are praised by or work with a western group. It's kind of like Despacito. I mean I can't wait until the collab, but I hope people don't claim that bts is the best group because they are recognized by western artists. That's Western validation. If they are the best group, it's because of their music, members, etc.

14. deadflagblues

No not necessarily. Just the level of elitism that kpop stans have over western media as a whole. I've seen armys and other kpop stans look down on the chainsmokers over this collab like bts is too good for them to the point of cancelling pre orders completely dismissing that they are very influential and have great accomplishments even if their music doesn't suite your specific taste. Like kpop is this superior genre. Then when western media does take notice, they suddenly feel a sense of gratitude? I saw these same people shitting on halsey and then suddenly glorifying her??? The reason I mentioned bts is bc 1) I've seen this topic often associating them 2) saw this type of attitude from both fans and non fans. It's like they want it, but turn around and say they dont?????

#14 deadflagblues, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  15. ZYXMYG

ZYXMYG Artist

imo western acknowledgement and western validation are two different things. seeing your fave (or anyone's fave) being acknowldged by the west is cool because kpop has always been this insular little community and it's nice to see the other parts of the global industry see how good kpop can be (especially in the face of its stereotypes).

western validation, however, is when people place the opinion of western ppl as the truest and fullest authority on taste simply because they're from the west. it's annoying because a) a group can be successful w/o western acknowledgement or validation and b) the west (or international validation) isn't centred on the US

which is why armys in particular are insufferable with this and you get stupid shit like this

there's absolutely nothing wrong with hyping up bts for winning an american award. i was and remain very proud of them for that too. but to discredit and disregard the daesang just because the american awards are american? that's just petty y'all

if you're gonna stan kpop then stan kpop. of course you always want bigger and better for your faves, we all do, but you don't have to shit on the kmusic industry while you're at it

16. Ayumi9

Ayumi9 Artist

Because a stamp of approval from kpop holds any weight what so ever?? Lol

17. Lilac_Ace

Lilac_Ace Artist

18. songeuna

songeuna Super Rookie

I think that kpop and Asian culture in general should have a larger representation in the Western media and BTS has begun to achieve that. Like it or not, the US are the biggest music market, so making it big over there equals worldwide recognition and huge money. So yes, in a sense Western validation is important if you want to become an artist known worldwide - it may not be fair, but that's just how it is.

19. deadflagblues

Good question. I really don't know. I have so much conflicted thoughts and feelings over this. The bigger question of this post that goes beyond kpop elitism and hypocrisy and kpop in general is representation hence why this entire thread is so confusing bc i started this topic with shallow issues but have a deeper socio-economic issues that I have a problem with. As an asian living in the states myself, I hate that I'm constantly put in a label. How western media constantly uses stereotypes that it's personally affected how I view myself. I do in the sense that it proves those stereotypes wrong but at the same time don't want to have western media have a level of influence in what made the genre different to begin with. I often am I confusing because I'm confused sorry it's 3 am and I'm sort of questioning what even is life am I weird lol

20. deadflagblues

Yeah I've become insufferable with those things as well. My overall problem was with how it was overall perceived not just with American awards but working western artists as well. And you're right to be irritated with dismissing a korean award for the sake of an American one. But that level of pettiness goes both ways from what I've witnessed. So many called the chainsmokers irrelevant for simply not liking their music therefore korean artists should never work with foreign artists. I remember Wales getting so much hate from armys bc of joon. But then they do a 360 from hating on halsey to glorifying her on twitter, freaked out when chanyeol got a shootout from Tommy Hilfiger, freaked out when Obama mentioned Shinee (it was awesome tho gotta admit) and it's so gratingly hypocritical.

I know my post sounded pro-bts but it was rather anti kpop stans who've had this elitist attitude then do a 360 and rave about western curiosity/media/interaction the very next day.