To boycott or not to boycott YG? Gain some understanding first.

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by cuibear, Jun 13, 2019.

1. cuibear

cuibear Trainee

Currency:
    There are plenty of people calling for the boycott of YG and their artistes. There are just as many who calls for the opposite. I for one am on the side of no boycott, even though the rationale behind that boycott sounds logical to me. However, there is another set of logic that can be considered as well.

I want to ask, other than 'don't feed that rat!' or 'YG artistes are shit!' type of bandwagon hate, do people really understand what and why they are boycotting? Don't be a sheep, don't jump on the bandwagon. Do attempt to know just what the situation and repercussions are before leaping off the cliff with other goats.

I saw a good piece of article on twitter that I wish to share. Since the original sharer of the tweet has already muted the response, I assume they wouldn't want to receive replies, hence I'm posting on behalf without crediting them. This article actually does not support my opinion, but I understand their views and it's much more valid than everything people have posted on this site so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Link to article (KOR): http://www.ize.co.kr/articleView.html?no=2019061122157268469

My thoughts:

Everything makes sense, of course. This is textbook example of why people boycott certain products of certain companies whom they believe are engaging in actions which are detrimental to parts of society or indirectly supporting a inhumane cause. To put it simply, just check out what PETA boycotts and you will understand somethings.

However, while the artistes in YG are the products of the company, the most crucial point to note is that they are humans too. We can boycott a service, or a product, but that's nothing personal. Service and products don't have feelings, they don't get hurt. The only thing that suffers is just monetary. Artistes are not.

Boycott an artiste, and you're destroying their livelihood. Of course when you boycott a company, the employees suffer. But these people who boycott subscribes to the utilitarian belief - whatever it takes, the ends justifies the means. Philosophy 101 - does the end always justifies the means?

I don't think so for this situation. People can say that boycotting is nothing personal, they only have it out for the company and YG. However, it's the artistes who are going to suffer. They have YG tagged to their brand, will they be able to get over this huge obstacle that's not even of their own creation? The life expectancy of an artiste is short, much less an idol group. Once the prime time is over, then they will be has-beens for the remainder of their career.

So really, think before just shouting about boycotting and such. Who does it ultimately affect the most, who will bear the brunt of this? It's easy to make a petition on change or related websites. It's easy to get onto that Blue House petition thing and write a one liner such as - boycott YG and not let them take our money. But I too want people to think about the products you are boycotting - they are humans too, and innocent ones at that.

2. solbora

solbora Rookie

Currency:
    I came to kpop for a good time, not to argue about cultural appropriation, echo chambers, extremism, racism, xenophobes, drug abuse, etc.

3. Taeri

Taeri Married to @NBW

Currency:
    MD
    It’s a Korea business
    I will support what I like from the company
    Let Koreans deal with this matter however

4. ForgottenSoul

Currency:
    People screaming boycott support apple products,google,facebook,samsung etc.. they all done questionable shit.

5. bigbangteamb

bigbangteamb Public Figure

Currency:
    I don't even know why boycotting the artists is even a thing in the first place... it's just dumb IMO

PeacefulBlink97 and VIPiggy like this.
  6. notfunnybtw

notfunnybtw Rookie

Currency:
    BTS, Park Jinyoung, Henry, Taemin & The Rose stan.
    Québec aka the most heartwarming city in the world
    I'm not about to boycott any YG artist. I tend not to like their music in general, but I've got nothing against them and I do not believe all of them are in the middle of some crazy shit.

Plus, we all know that as long as BLACKPINK is still going strong, no one's gonna boycott anyone.

Boycotting the artists is stupid in general. They're just doing their best, and all the scandals are already affecting them more than they will ever affect us.

7. cuibear

cuibear Trainee

Currency:
    Yeah that's my status. Your point?

8. momobabe

momobabe Rookie

Currency:
    okay well you better not be saying a single word about american rappers/artists and their scandals. you don't get to pick and choose where and when you care about these types of things.

9. PeachZeze

PeachZeze Rookie

Currency:
    No one forced any artist to sign with a big3. Many companys in the world are boycotted for many reasons
    If tomorrow Apple praised Hitler, we cant boycott and stop using their products because most of the people who work there are innocent?

It's simple for me, people have the right to choose. I will support AKMU and Lee Hi. :nervousk:

But there are differences between you choose not boycotting and supporting thrashs like Seungri.
    Or hate YG because MixNine, and support Treasure13... doenst make sense.

Malachai likes this.
  10. mashimaroluff0

Currency:
    you can't boycott something you never bought to begin with. it make no difference

the reason for boycotting YG or not is simple, no need to make it complicated.
    Do you like YG merchandise better or do you like the victims of these cases better? The answer is obvious, you know YG artist, their products give you joy. Victims are nameless and unrelated to you, and frankly make no difference in your life. To compare, you like one more than the other, and that's your decision. If you never like YG artist or music that much, then comparing the two, you may choose the victim. The tipping point between one side or the other is subjective, everyone make up their own.

But socially, you don't want to come off callous. And personally, no one like to think of themselves as unsympathetic, so you need to justify why you like what you like and do what you do. But the reasons don't matter. At the end of the day, you are only answering them to yourselves, and that's all that matter to you.

SUNSHINE, freysan, Mirajess and 2 others like this.
  11. momobabe

momobabe Rookie

Currency:
    not listening and financially supporting an artist is a lot easier than cutting out mainstream products that are ingrained into your everyday life. don't you think so?

inluvOT7 likes this.
  12. ForgottenSoul

Currency:
    Then your a hypocrite and not all brands are scum.

PeacefulBlink97, SUNSHINE and solbora like this.
  13. inluvOT7

inluvOT7 Super Rookie

Currency:
    People are allowed to draw the line where they want. It sucks for his artists but they're adults. They know what's surrounding YG and they'd be fine through any boycott.

14. staindz

staindz Public Figure

Currency:
    I am a consumer, thus I vote with my wallet

15. momobabe

momobabe Rookie

Currency:
    of course i am and so are you. you are probably reading this on an apple or samsung device. and paying taxes to a government and country historically responsible for the misery of millions. not all brands and corporations are scum i know and everyone draws the line at different points. for example, i wouldn't move out of my house if i found out that it was built by a serial rapist 60 years ago or something. other people maybe would. each circumstance varies depending on the crime tbh there is no consistency

cuibear likes this.
  16. ForgottenSoul

Currency:
    Im not a hypocrite cause i hate boycott and cancel culture if i like something im buying it.

VIPiggy and solbora like this.
  17. cuibear

cuibear Trainee

Currency:
    @momobabe @ForgottenSoul You two are actually pretty much on the same page to some extent.

18. Queeeenie

Queeeenie Leader

Currency:
    Somi debuted at number 8 on Melon teal time, I dont think many people are boycotting. Some netizens maybe, but they probably werent big YG fans in the first place.

19. solbora

solbora Rookie

Currency:
    I never care about these type of things hunny. I got a life to live. And music, I listen to.

20. solbora

solbora Rookie

Currency:
    How dare you have a brain and use it?