The Shining still scares me more than any other movie

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Blaenavon9, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Blaenavon9

Blaenavon9 Star

It is the scariest movie I've ever watched...still hooks me from the very first scene...even though I know EVERY dialogue, and I don't usually have patience with movies I've watched before...the music too.

Everything about the movie - the 2 little girls in the beginning, the split second cut to the mutilated bodies - the long shots, the perfectly symmetrical interiors, the isolation, and of course Jack spiralling into the crazy recesses of his mind and most importantly

THIS SCENE

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Please take away my brain

MASTERPIECE

(along with Suspiria)

Polskie, Binnie_Bunny and poteto like this.
  2. STTRstan

STTRstan Trainee

I haven’t seen it just because a lot of people say it messes with your mind. I’m weak lmaoo :angryr:

Blaenavon9 likes this.
  3. Blaenavon9

Blaenavon9 Star

Please do tho......it's quite a rewarding experience

4. StCatMouse

StCatMouse Trainee

Procrastinator
    The most effective parts for me where the more quiet and subdued parts. You know there's something very wrong with Jack Torrance even in the early parts of the movie and that the hotel is slowly driving him over the edge with his dormant alcoholism but it's the getting there that's really fun, the malevolence of the place just bubbling under the surface. The calm before the storm. Then the violence breaks out. It's a hallmark of that era, the slow burn horror flicks (see: The Changeling or Don't Look Now). Even the Giallo films, although they are more liberal with the violence, have that characteristic. It's a whole lot of build up for the majority of the runtime then the pay off in the end.

People are divided over last year's Suspiria. I kinda like it. I think it was very capable film with a distinct take on the material. It probably won't unseat the original but it wasn't bad. I'm not against the idea of remaking the remaining two of the Three Mothers trilogy.

Polskie and Blaenavon9 like this.
  5. StCatMouse

StCatMouse Trainee

Procrastinator
    It doesn't, don't worry. Controversial take - if you're even slightly into horror, it's not that scary. I'd argue The Exorcist is more likely to mess you up.

Blaenavon9 likes this.
  6. Blaenavon9

Blaenavon9 Star

I didn't like the new Suspiria at all... all it did was over embellish the original. It's over artsy and feels too much like a music video or smth.

7. StCatMouse

StCatMouse Trainee

Procrastinator
    I can kinda see where you are coming from but I think it's a compromise the movie has to take. As much as the original Suspiria was great, I don't think it would work as well today nor it would see a major production backing. It would probably see a limited release from A24 or Blumhouse (I shudder at the thought). It was a product of it's time.

One of the few things I like with 2018's Suspiria is the moral ambiguity. OG Suspiria's Suzy is the good guy, she was the doe-eyed heroine who defeated and escaped the clutches of the bad guys. That's it. 2018's interpretation of Suzy is more nuanced, the movie is actually about finding out who she really is and while she 'saved' the girls that were used horrifically by Markos, the mercy she showed the old man wasn't mercy at all as she left him without the memory of his wife (hard as it is as he failed to save her from the Nazis) leaving him an empty husk. And she's Mother Suspiriorum, not a vessel, but the Mother herself so that's not great.

Another is the reference to the turbulent times of the period which is missing from the original if I remember correctly. It's not a fully formed idea but it helps make it feel more in line with that period in West Germany and help with the oppressive atmosphere of the film I think.

There are films that are critic-proof - doesn't matter if the critics hate it, the general audience would love it regardless like Twilight, the later Pirates of the Caribbean films, even Man of Steel. On the other end of the spectrum, there are films that are doomed to be divisive even before it's released and I think Suspiria 2018 falls in this camp. Initial reaction from the first trailer was not generally well-received because how dare the filmmakers remake a beloved film. The argument is something similar to ruining their childhood (whatever the hell that means). Critics didn't like it because it wasn't political enough, it didn't planted its flag firmly enough on whatever political agenda critics have which seems to overrule anything nowadays.

Blaenavon9 likes this.
  8. Blaenavon9

Blaenavon9 Star

I thought the original one took place in Italy though?

The extra details are all very nice but it felt like it was all bookish and not much heart....I have a very emotional take on films rather than a cerebral one, if I cannot connect with the characters or the aesthetic of the film I really cannot see it's other virtues maybe that's why I couldn't appreciate it better

9. StCatMouse

StCatMouse Trainee

Procrastinator
    No, the original was in Germany as well. I have to admit the only reason I remember it because the filmmakers of the 2018 version mentioned it on some interview. It's probably shot in Italy (it's a Giallo film :D) so you're probably kinda correct I guess :D

I understand. Different films appeal to me on different levels and I'd sit and watch even a bad film for the sake of morbid curiosity. Some of the films I like are horrible and are firmly in the camp of so bad it's good and then there are films like this one that I think are woefully misrepresented by the press and even in the horror community.

Blaenavon9 likes this.
  10. Blaenavon9

Blaenavon9 Star

2018 Suspiria would have worked better as a series imo..it introduces us to so many new things, i never got the chance to digest all that information before the last act came up....the last act itself also, it's good but I am suspiriorum type of ending is smth I felt somebody would ccome up with for in a school play. Like I said, would work 100% in a series

11. StCatMouse

StCatMouse Trainee

Procrastinator
    I don't know about a series, maybe a mini-series? I don't think there's enough content there to support multiple seasons and there's also the risk that if it falls under a network, it will be padded like hell (more so than what you think about the movie already) for syndication or even cancelled prematurely if it's not up to snuff in ratings. Horror in general is still a niche genre, unless it's nabbed by a streaming or cable service like HBO, it might not do well.

Blaenavon9 likes this.
  12. Blaenavon9

Blaenavon9 Star

Yes a miniseries that would be fantastic. OR if it was up to me, even into a comic book