Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

The possible reasons why YG keeps his artists in dungeon

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by SeulgisAbs, Feb 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeulgisAbs

SeulgisAbs Idol

1. His ass too lazy to manage the 3 groups under him
    2. he's too petty to actually spend few dimes on few more producers so instead he waits for the poor gals & boys to write their songs or waits till Teddy clears his schedule
    3.he thinks by making fans wait too long in between, it's gonna increase the demand on his grps
    4. he looses interest in his groups as soon as they debut & so he goes looking for a new challenge & tries to debut another group

this is what I think, what do u think?

callycat97, yutakunnn and SugaVJin like this.
  2. chiblet28

chiblet28 Public Figure

hunting for wabbits
    sis we been knew

yoonbread and jhing1123 like this.
  3. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Rookie

What do I think? That you're trying to start shit by posting this ;)

But okay, I'll bite, and try to give a reasonably serious answer. There are a number of things I've considered; any number of them might be accurate or inaccurate, and we can only speculate what's going on behind the scenes.
    1. It's not Yang Hyun-Suk's fault. He's got a notorious reputation for breaking promises and holding back his artists, but he's not actually the CEO of YG Entertainment and a lot of other people are involved in making major decisions. It may be the case that he does intend to follow through on all the comebacks he promises, but plans are changed by people or factors beyond his control.
    2. He has super high standards. This is YG's own argument: he says that he doesn't want to publish subpar music, and that delays are caused by the extensive amount of time required to get songs as polished as they should be. Personally, I do like the average YG song more than the average song from SM or JYP -- though that's only personal taste, and I love the music of all three. But I'm not sure if I fully buy that he needs so much time to perfect every track.
    3. He's a bad multitasker. I think this may very well be true. YG is known for micromanaging the groups under his attention closely -- Bobby of iKON was just talking about how he felt ignored by YG in the past, but now YG is checking up on his every wardrobe choice. It's possible that YG gets heavily invested in whatever has his attention at the time, and he really does work to get it to perfection, but that this results in other groups falling through the cracks.
    4. He doesn't need other groups. This is the cynical argument, but it may well contain a grain of truth. YG makes money hand over fist from Big Bang's promotions alone, and I'd be surprised if the rest of his artists combined brought in as much cash. Maybe he prioritizes them because -- until now -- it's been a sound business strategy, and it's a big part of what made his company so successful. If you had a gigantic cash cow and a bunch of lower-level groups, wouldn't you focus on the moneymaker? Of course, a good comeback to this is that Big Bang won't last forever, and he will need other stars. But some people don't think that far ahead.
    5. He believes in "survival of the fittest." -- YG's greatest success, Big Bang, became stars with 'Lies' mere months after their debut. Perhaps YG's attitude is that he shouldn't bother with groups that don't receive instant recognition. Why try to force people to like an act that's gotten lukewarm responses? Isn't it safer to debut a bunch of different groups, drop the ones that get a "meh" reaction, and push the ones the audience loves? I don't really think this is the case, because if it was he'd be pushing Blackpink to the moon instead of doing little with them, but who knows.
    6. He wants real artists, because he's been one. YG got his start as a member of Seo Taiji and Boys -- a group who started from absolutely nothing, only to transform the Korean music industry in a way nobody had before and nobody has since. I think that's a big part of the reason he wants people to write their own songs and produce their own music -- it's not that he's lazy; he just respects (and expects) genuine artistry. A "musician" means more to him than an "idol," and will draw more of his attention.
    7. He knows there's big money abroad. Promoting in Japan can bring in boatloads of cash for a Kpop company, and while some people blame YG for sending his artists there instead of raising their popularity in Korea, it's hard to blame him from a business perspective. Daesung has made crazy bank through his solo promotions there, and in Japan, he may well be the most known and popular member of Big Bang. I don't think it's a coincidence that many YG groups end up in Japan very early in their careers, even if this ends up being detrimental to their domestic popularity.
    8. He's just dumb. Maybe there's no method to the madness, and YG really is as misguided and terrible a manager as everybody thinks. Hey, it's possible! The guy got his start as a Kpop performer, not a businessman, and not everybody makes that transition smoothly. Maybe Big Bang and 2NE1 were just lucky accidents, and he's been coasting on their success ever since. Do I think that? Absolutely not. But the whole point of this post is "anything's possible, and you never know."

4. rjkoya3579

rjkoya3579 Public Figure

I think 3 might be legit lol

especially with the success of Love Scenario and how Blackpink is still loved by many

Coelacanth likes this.
  5. ashleymarie

ashleymarie Rookie

What he said a few years back is that if he allowed his peeps to be on every show and to make comebacks every time, people would loose interest. The excitement and anticipation would die down. On top of that, he didn't want to overwork his peeps.
    Do I believe what he said? Kinda yeah, but not entirely.
    I remember a lot of people were actually on his side too. Keep in mind that this happened before 2014, when almost everyone were saying YG Family and Papa YG.

He's just another greedy CEO with too much on his plate. He likes to collect pokemon, err, I mean, idols, just so he can display them.

6. yoonbread

yoonbread Public Figure

You are all wrong.

He keeps them in his dungeon because he's in love with a member and wants to tank the group so that he could marry that member.

DUH! (how did you think he got his wife?)

Coelacanth and jenstals like this.
  7. BadDracula

BadDracula Trainee

Stuck in Cubase (lmao).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.