Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

The Next Generation Of J-Pop Boy Groups: Rookie Pimp Post

Discussion in 'J-POP' started by juliennemarie, Mar 15, 2016.

1. juliennemarie

juliennemarie Trainee

#1 juliennemarie, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
  2. juliennemarie

juliennemarie Trainee

Nice thread title hahaha

I'm in the process of moving right now and don't know where tf I put the memory stick where I backed up my old threads tbh T^T

aquamaraqua and KiraDoru like this.
  3. KiraDoru

KiraDoru Trainee

Aww no problem, at least you didn't forget about it

4. KiraDoru

KiraDoru Trainee

Part 2 of post 1
    [/quote]

juliennemarie likes this.
  5. KiraDoru

KiraDoru Trainee

*Mind you that this is all outdated info*

juliennemarie likes this.
  6. juliennemarie

juliennemarie Trainee

OMG THANK YOU!

I will get to work setting this up later, updating the master posts with current info and stuff. Thank you thank you thank you T^T

KiraDoru likes this.
  7. juliennemarie

juliennemarie Trainee

Kis-my-ft2
    [​IMG]
    It's kind of weird to refer to them as a rookie group, since these guys have been training as a united team since 2005 and have known each other since the early 2000s. Still, they are part of the newer generation of Johnny's debuted groups, and are arguably the most successful.
    Kis-my-ft2 are known for several things, first of all being their amazing rollerskating during their lives and MVs. It may be a gimmick, but it's one that looks fantastic during their lives. They are also the first group to suffer from a member division, which also became a thing with Sexy Zone. Handsome members Tamamori, Fujigaya, and Kitayama make up the vocal line and get to be the centers for almost everything the group does, while (allegedly) less attractive and weaker singers Senga, Miyata, Yokoo, and Nikaido are in the back and even have to wear different colors from the center members. A common practice for girl groups, a very new thing for boy groups.
    Luckily, SMAP's Nakai took the four back members under his wing and helped them debut as sub-group Busaiku (which unfortunately is slang for ugly, but the group owns up to it even though I personally find them fairly attractive) who are now chart toppers in their own right releasing funny gags songs. They also appear in several Johnny's productions, so are not completely ignored, plus all seven members have been friends for so long that it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of resentment over the center positions. Plus, although Miyata and Senga are passable, Yokoo legit can't sing.
    They have plenty of amazing songs and fun to watch MVs, plus a dedicated sub site that provides for the hilarious Busaiku TV show. Overall, they're on track to become a top Johnny's group: they were a top 5 earning group last year, have a strong variety presence, and don't know how to chart out of 1st place.

Sexy Zone
    [​IMG]
    Sexy Zones lives as five again! Rather than a division between the center members and the Busaiku members like Kisumai, Sexy Zone previously had an older/younger member split, and had several promotions and a full length album only dominantly featuring members Fuuma Kikuchi, Shori Sato, and Nakajima Kento. Thankfully, they are back as a fivesome with Sou and Marius. Unfortunately, their Google-at-your-own-risk name lives on
    Their music differs whether they're promoting as five or three. The five member group has a younger sound, while three member Sexy Zone is a bit more mature.

Johnny's West
    [​IMG]
    The first Kansai based Johnny's group since Kanjani8, Johnny's West is also the first group to have Johnny's in their name since the 60s. Maybe this is a sign that JE really likes them, because thus far they've had a great intro to the industry. JE actually listened to them when they insisted they debut with all the members rather than debuting as a smaller group, plus along with the standard hammy Kansai-style songs they sing, they have plenty of excellent dance bops as well. Their variety is also very good, and a fair age distribution among the members (the oldest is an 87 liner, the youngest a 96er) means strong appeal to different age groups. The excellent Jounetsu who does Kisumai subs also subs for them as well, so there's plenty of good material to watch for them, too.

A.B.C.-Z
    [​IMG]
    A.B.C-Z is an oddly promoted Johnny's Group. Though they have started releasing physical albums and singles, they are more known for their consistent DVD releases and live performances in which they showcase their crazy acrobatic skills. Though they're a harder group to get into overseas, their music is good and their dancing solid.

DISH//
    [​IMG]
    Known to listeners who only care about anime music as the group that does the Naruto themes, DISH// is actually one of the most successful of the non Johnny's/LDH new generation of boy groups, and were the group that kicked off the all-male Ebidan division of Stardust Promtoion (Momoiro Clover Z's agency), making them the big brother group to Bullet Train, CustomiZ, and PrizmaX. I say big brother group, but they're actually all still in their teens and are complete cutie patooties. They also play their own instruments and do their own DJing.
    Like their labelmates, they have some more hammy songs, but also plenty of songs everyone can get into.

Da-iCE
    [​IMG]
    Since my bias is pretty apparent anyways, these guys are my favorite. Featuring a vocal line (Sota, Udai) and a dance line (all five members dance, but Taiki, Toru, and Hayate lead the specialized sections of the choreo), Da-iCE kicked off their indie promos in 2011 and caught plenty of attention back in 2012 when opening for agency-mates AAA two years before their official debut. To this day, they remain the Avex idol group with the closest ties to AAA, and are best on track to obtain their sempai group's level of attention, especially thanks to their partnership with Universal securing them the support to promote consistently.
    Their songs are a balance between dance pop and ballads and songs with a hint of dance AND ballad. Between Sota and Yudai, they have a 4 octave range, with Sota hitting the high tone notes and Yudai nailing the lower. I also do translations for them, so please give them lots of love!

Bullet Train
    [​IMG]
    More so than DISH//, these guys are the spiritual successors to Momoiro Clover Z's quirkiness and flair for costumes, making them quite the entertaining group to watch. Along with having assigned image colors, they also have assigned "cars" of the train they represent, as well as nicknames describing their personalities and looks like "Sleepy" and "Skinny." Koichi and Takashi take care of vocals, while Kai, Ryouga, Takuya, Yuuki, and Yuusuke lead the dance team.
    They usually do funny videos with costume concepts, but have some damn good songs to go along with the theatrics.

SOLIDEMO
    [​IMG]
    The infinitely wise Avex realized we needed more groups where all the members looked like supermodels, and SOLIDEMO delivered on that and then some. Favoring more emotional RB type songs, they're overall more vocal based than dance, though they've proved they can do more club style songs just fine as well, though their choreos are generally pretty simple. Their vocal line also enjoys blessing us with covers on avex's Youtube channel, so there's no shortage of music in between singles.

Generations
    [​IMG]
    The LDH empire was largely focused on flagship group EXILE and its subgroup J Soul Brothers, but recently put a push on expanding their groups through girls collective E-Girls and dance group Generations for the boys, stemming from their massive male collective EXILE TRIBE. Like their sempai, Generations has some of the most on point dancing in the industry, plus some stellar R&B vocals from Ryota and Ryuto. Members Mandy and Alan also moonlight as EXILE members, though with the whole group being in EXILE TRIBE, they're pretty easy to catch on EXILE's varieties. Their songs are mainly dance and dance-ballad,and with the Youtube presence Johnny's groups lack, they have the best shot at becoming the most internationally known of the new generation of boy groups.

Root Five
    [​IMG]
    Even though they're labelled as visual kei and don't exactly fall into the J-pop category compared to the others, I'm including them because unlike most visual kei acts, they are not a band and have more vocal leanings due to their background as Nico Nico singers. You won't find them promoting in the same style as the other groups mentioned, but they're still worth checking out if you're into pop rock thanks to their solid vocals and interesting concepts. They are also ikemen and don't pour the visual kei on too heavily, so their videos are good for the eye candy as well.

CustomiZ
    [​IMG]
    CustomiZ is following DISH//'s footsteps as Ebidan's next band, but blend Bullet Train's more colorful elements with their out of this world concepts.They used to have a different line up during their indies period, but after a period where the initial group split up, members Goro, Daichi, and Hiroki decided they wanted to continue on with the group, and added Hama to the line up. Like DISH//, they also play their own instruments.
    While DISH//'s vocals are more punk pop, Hama and Goro have more of the dramatic visual kei style leanings, making them a good option for J-rock lovers as well if you don't mind their ikemen-ness and use of image colors.

PrizmaX
    [​IMG]
    Though they've technically been around for awhile on the indies scene, they've only recently kicked off as promoting Ebidan group, and are probably the least concept-based of the bunch, focusing more on dance and vocal performance. They can also sing very well in English. Right now, they're probably one of the more underrated Ebidan groups, and are much more deserving of love. Their music is so accessible for international fans.

KiraDoru likes this.
  8. juliennemarie

juliennemarie Trainee

X4
    [​IMG]

The poor boys have had an up and down road sense formation, with member SJ being removed shortly before debut, and chopping X4 down to X3. Now two new members, Shota and Jukiya, have stepped in to join the group, bringing them up to X5. With veteran soloist Yuya Matsushita at the helm, this talented group is sure to be fine with the new lineup!

Bee Shuffle
    [​IMG]
    They could potentially become a Hallyu group since 3 of their members are Korean (Gyumin, Joonho, and Minsu), but since Bee Shuffle already seems comfortably settled into the J-Pop industry, my guess is they're going to stay there where they're already doing well. The group got off to a colorful debut, but can also perform more traditional styles, and are good dancers to boot. With more releases and polish, they have the potential to do very well in the industry.

BRIDGET
    [​IMG]

One of Avex's most underrated groups. They have great vocals, lovely songs, and great performances. They have a decent presence of the live scene and in modelling, but Avex owes it to society to push them more as a group.

Breakthrough (ブレイク☆スル)
    [​IMG]
    (Not officially debuted?) I wish I could find out more information on this group, but since they still seem to be in their indies period, there's not a lot out there about them internationally other than that their a comedy based vocal and dance group (kind of like Golden Bomber, minus the air visual kei elements). They are actually being quite well promoted in the indies scene in Japan at the moment however--- every single issue of JUNON and BOYS ON STAGE I own has them featured, which is pretty impressive considering they are indie, and not from LDH, Ebidan, Johnny's, or Avex. They don't have much out yet, but will probably be ones to watch once they're out of their indie period. They're not bad singers for a comedy group!

Edge of Life
    [​IMG]
    They're marketed more as J-Rock, but I'm still including them because they need more awareness. They have a very accessible sound and some great early releases. They're fairly new, and have only just released their debut album, but are worth watching.

Weber
    [​IMG]
    They're still in the early stages of their career and have only one major release out with another on the way at the end of September, but thus far have a pretty likable sound and promising talent. Idk what to think about their lead dancer being named "Little Skeet," on the other hand.

Neva Give Up
    [​IMG]
    I'm not terribly familiar with this group, but they seem to promote on the smaller scale live scene in Japan. They've got potential, but seem like they could benefit from larger scale promotions since they've been around for a few years now. It sounds like their fans give them a lot of love, though :D They also seem to have a really good lead dancer.

Kaleido Knight
    [​IMG]
    Though their early stuff is in sore need of being rescued from auto-tune, they're not half bad when they're singing on their own.

M!LK
    [​IMG]
    The newest group under Ebidan. They haven't released all that much yet, but they seem to be targeting the younger set with cuter concepts. I mean, the only way this dance practice could be cuter is if they had done it in kigurumis

Magic Boyz
    [​IMG]
    For pint sized fun, there's Magic Boyz stemming from Ebidan's Kids unit, with 'kid' being the key word since all the members were born in 2001 or 2002. If you think Hallyu artists have a unique take on hip-hop... well, perhaps you simply need to listen to these guys yourself or watch their adorable(?) lives.

BOYS AND MEN
    [​IMG]
    An eleven member performance group originating in the Tokai region, BOYS AND MEN are a staple there, regularly appearing on radio and television broadcasts, as well as theater, musicals, and their own original movies. Like Bullet Train, they usually perform in some form of costume, (which can include swimsuits during the summertime), making for some stylish looking lives.

Amaz
    [​IMG]
    Currently undebuted, but you can get a taste of their sound on the early teasers on their Youtube channel.

Flowback
    [​IMG]
    Recently came out with their debut mini-album

5ignal
    [​IMG]
    An undebuted Avex group (getting ready to drop their first album), but once again you can watch their lives on their Youtube channel.

Addiction
    [​IMG]
    Under construction

AxelColors
    [​IMG]
    An undebuted group from Avex. They have one indie single and are currently promoting on the live scene.

The Rampage
    [​IMG]
    An undebuted group from LDH. They have a handful of early lives and teasers up on Youtube and have promoted within EXILE TRIBE.

KiraDoru likes this.
  9. juliennemarie

juliennemarie Trainee

FREAK
    [​IMG]
    A new group from avex, sent to grace us with a more old school, R&B sound. They formed in 2012 and have been building momentum on the live scene ever since. On December 16, they'll be releasing their debut album "Sing 4 Life," a follow up to their first mini last year. Their early tracks show plenty of promise and if you like yummy vocals, the debut album sounds like it will be a treat!

XOX
    [​IMG]
    Spearheaded by SONY MUSIC and WEGO fashions, these five young bishies made their major debut Dec 9 with "XXX" (not as dirty as it sounds, thankfully, and you may need to use a YT loophole to watch it since SONY is blocked with the changes to YT. I will post a Jpopsuki link when one appears). The boys thus far have shown cute and upbeat charms in their music.

龍雅-Ryoga-
    [​IMG]
    After the disbandment of avex group Vimclip, avex decided to team up with New World Productions to form a new boy group, giving former member Reo a chance to release music again with a new team, selected through auditions set up by popular male idol broadcast DANZEN TV. The group has no releases out yet, but you can get a taste of what's to come through their early live performances

Cubers
    [​IMG]
    Cubers is thus far in the process of building their fan bases, but seems to be a light hearted, Johnny's-esque group targeted at the younger J-pop crowd.

Doberman Infinity
    [​IMG]
    Doberman Infinity, a hip-hop group promoted through LDH and Toys Factory, has technically been around since 2000 as Doberman Inc, but after a few line-up changes and rebranding, returned to the music scene in 2014 with several new releases and promoting a tougher image than their more R&B and EDM geared agency-mates.

aquamaraqua likes this.
  10. aquamaraqua

aquamaraqua Public Figure

Full Time CandY
    If you guys want to change the set up of this thread (deleting posts or anything) let me know.

11. KiraDoru

KiraDoru Trainee

@juliennemarie
    Do you want the OP? If so you can tell Aqua to delete my posts

12. juliennemarie

juliennemarie Trainee

13. mocochang

mocochang Celebrity

EXILE TRIBE trash ♥
    I seriously have to check some of those groups out.

I really like some of them, specially GENERATIONS, which I love to bits, and I also love Doberman Infinity for their raps.
    I can't wait for THE RAMPAGE's debut already. If it follows LDH's scheadules from previous debuted groups, it should be at the end of this year *-*

14. aquamaraqua

Full Time CandY
  15. juliennemarie

juliennemarie Trainee

Comeback collection:

Kis-my-ft2- "Gravity"

Sexy Zone- "Shori no Hi Made"
    This just came out today, will add when video is uploaded

Johnny's WEST- "Gyakuten Winner"
    Also waiting on a video upload

A.B.C-Z- "Hana Kotoba"

Da-iCE- "WATCH OUT"

Bullet Train- "Yell"

SOLIDEMO- "Landscape"

GENERATIONS- New album "SPEEDSTER"

CustomiZ- New album "Customi-Z" + "COOLEST"

PrizmaX- "UP<BEAT"

X4- "Party Up!!"

Breakthrough- "Wanpan" and "Money on the Game"

WEBER- "Azakayana Reason"
    Still waiting on the full length of this

M!LK- "Shingakki a la Carte"

Flowback- "Wake Me Up"

5IGNAL First Indies album "5IGNAL"

Addiction "Booze Up"

FREAK- "I Feel Good!!!"

XOX- "Ex Summer"

Ryoga- "Live For You"

Doberman Infinity- "Itsuka"

ROOT FIVE- "Mairan"

Quite a few gems!

@KiraDoru @aquamaraqua

I lost the taglist from the original, so if anyone wants to be added, lemme know!

#15 juliennemarie, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
    KiraDoru and hoshi45 like this.
  16. hoshi45

hoshi45 Newbie

I like most of these groups but my favorites are Root five, sexy zone and breakthrough. There's an indie idol group called musumen that I think would fit this thread. I'm going to post some info about them
    Musumen
    [​IMG]
    Musumen is a 10 member idol group that originally started uploading covers of Hello Project! in 2012 on nico nico douga. They're really active on their youtube channel where they upload a video everyday (except saturdays and sundays)

One of their MVs:

Official channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/morningmusumen
    Official twitter: https://twitter.com/info_musumen
    Official webpage: http://www.musumen.com/

17. aquamaraqua

Full Time CandY
    First time I meet another R5 fan. Please join me on their official thread under J artist threads. ;w;

18. juliennemarie

juliennemarie Trainee

Thanks! I have a few more new groups I'm looking into, so I'll add these guys as well next time I do a thread update :p

19. katahtattat

katahtattat Leader

20. KiraDoru

KiraDoru Trainee

I forgot that this existed I feel ashamed lmao. I think I might retranscript this to OH to create somewhat of a small fan network since it's not easy to find people who Stan the same groups as you when they're as 'obscure' internationally as most of those.

irobjcvm and aquamaraqua like this.