Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

The Gulf Between Taste and Quality [re: NCT]

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by Coelacanth, Apr 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Artist

One of my guiding principles on this forum is to be positive, and not to hate on anybody's favorites. There's plenty of negative content out there, and I prefer to contribute to the brighter side of things. Usually, that's easy to do! I have broad musical tastes, and enjoy the music of almost every Kpop act.

The "almost" in "almost every" has been NCT.

Don't get me wrong -- the members of NCT are incredibly-talented singers, dancers and rappers. They've built a vast fanbase for very good reason, and I do like some of their songs! @Queeeenie introduced me to 'Back 2 U' yesterday, which I very much enjoyed, and I've got a bunch of NCT Dream tracks on my iPod. That said, I've had a recurring disconnect with their title tracks, and the majority have failed to click.

Maybe it's that my tastes veer more melodic. Maybe NCT's music is too experimental; too darkly minimalistic; too abrasively shout-y on the likes of 'Boss' and 'Go.' Whatever the reason, I just haven't enjoyed their major releases. And that's something I'm trying to fix.

See, here's the fundamental thesis behind this post: there's a big difference between "bad music" and "good music which isn't my style." When it comes to the former, I can take a pass with no regrets. But when it comes to the latter, I often feel like I'm missing out. It's not that anybody is obligated to enjoy every good song. Some people just don't like country, or heavy metal, or Kpop -- and that's fine!

But I think the luckiest fans are the ones with broad tastes -- because they have the widest range of music to appreciate! So I intentionally try to expand my horizons, and when I don't like music I know is good, I choose to view that as an opportunity to be open-minded.

That's my current policy toward NCT, and I'm starting to see what I've been missing. I thought 'Baby Don't Stop' was boring at first -- but only because I missed all the subtle nuances which make it great. My first run through 'Black on Black' left me baffled -- but even taking aside the all-time-great MV, it gets more propulsively badass with every listen. And I applaud SM for being so musically progressive; for releasing trailblazing and experimental songs instead of playing it safe. NCT may well be the sound of the future, and I'm glad I refused to write this group off.

That said, I wouldn't yet call myself a true fan, and that's why I'm asking for a bit of help. Do any of you have songs to recommend which could help ease me further into their style? I'm not super familiar with their B-sides, though I've been shown a couple which I thought were excellent. I'll listen to whatever you send me, and I appreciate your patience with this philistine who was slow to catch the NCT wave! :)

SweetMoon, ddocaroha, arieam and 10 others like this.
  2. cp26

cp26 Artist

Go Yujin's Lawyer
    Wow, I've spotted your comments on many threads before and I remember I always liked what you had to say and agreed with your opinions. But after reading this, I want to say that I have a lot of respect for you and your way of thinking and also I find your eloquent writing so nice (?) haha I can't seem to find a better-fitting word. You said your tastes are quite eclectic but luckily so is NCT's discography in terms of genres etc. Here are some of my fave NCT tracks, I hope you enjoy them! (side note: the cherry bomb album is full of my favorite side tracks, generally NCT 127 songs are my favorite) :)

3. Queeeenie

Queeeenie Artist

I'm going to recommend '0 Mile' and 'Good Thing' :p

'Cherry Bomb' is one of my favourite NCT songs. It has Mark's best verse in my opinion and I really like the vocal melody in the verses (although I wish it was longer...).

'Boss' was such a weird one, my least favourite release so far after Black On Black. But my expectations were so incredibly high for NCT U after '7th sense' it was inevitable their next song would be a let down.

Also thank you! no one has mentioned me before

Coelacanth likes this.
  4. mirella

mirella Artist

rapline enthusiast
    Interesting. I feel the same way with some music — if it's bad then I feel no regrets dismissing it and never listening to it again.

I think in the case of NCT's music, it's a specific taste. If you like more of the melodic type music then I don't think NCT's music is for you — you either enjoy it or you don't.

It's okay to appreciate music for being good while also recognizing you don't like it. But if you want to continue giving them a chance, I recommend listening to the Cherry Bomb b-sides.

You like NCT Dream, right? I think you should give their b-sides a try as well, if you haven't yet. SM really is experimental with their music. :p

Coelacanth likes this.
  5. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Artist

Thanks for both the compliments and for the song recommendations! I've listened to all of them, and they've left me glad to have created this thread! It looks like my suspicions were correct, and that NCT has a lot of excellent B-sides which are slightly less hard-edged than their title tracks. I especially enjoyed 'Summer 127' and 'Sun & Moon' :) I think they'll be a great transition into NCT as a whole, and I look forward to exploring further!

cp26 likes this.
  6. Rand_Al_Thor

I re-watch Without U and chewing gum performances the most. Seventh sense i like how it felt different, cherry bomb is strange but i saw what they were going for. I do not really re watch many more of them. I love the Sorry sorry cover. They have mad skills its just the music is mostly miss.

cp26 likes this.
  7. realangel

realangel Artist

Gassing my faves tf UP
    Brilliantly and thoughtfully written opinion piece right here, loved that
    As a NCTzen I can see where your coming from 100% and appreciate you looking into their discography!
    I'd recommend "Angel" and "Heartbreaker" like CP did ^^
    "Once Again" is such a BOP it makes me smile

Ten also has solo releases in English, although "dream in a dream" is not lyrically driven, It's one of the most enthralling songs of Kpop in my eyes, makes me lay of the floor and just zone out, feel it in my finger tips, open my third eye typa feel lmao

Enjoy love!

rindal123, Coelacanth and cp26 like this.
  8. Sayuuu_29

Sayuuu_29 Artist

Self-proclaimed Neo City Mom
    Glad to see your message! NCT offers a variety of music genre and they are truly experimental about their music! That's why I really love all of their songs and releases. Seeing NCT's discography, there are tons of songs! Not to mention the Station releases by them too! You should check it. XD
    For NCT Dream,
    I recommend Walk you home, La La Love, My First and Last, Dunk Shot --slow but relaxing and truly cheerful songs that makes you feel home
    Trigger the Fever & We Young (more synth and upbeat music)
    If you like BoB, then you would prolly like some of NCT-U past release The 7th Sense (They are quite similar)
    For 127,
    I like Limitless & Cherry Bomb (main tracks)
    I like B side tracks like Yestoday (Empathy Album), Once again, Paradise & Wake Up (Fire Truck Album), Good Thing & Switch (Limitless Album), and Sun & Moon & 0 Mile (Cherry Bomb Album)
    If you like to listen NCT's ballads try NCT-U's Without U and Timeless (Tende) and Taeil's Because of You

I recommend you NCT station releases too:
    Ten - dream in a dream (oriental feel)
    Ten - New Heroes, TY - Around (EDM style)
    Jaehyun - Try Again & Doyoung - Star Blossom (ballad songs)
    Dream - Joy (Mash up)
    Mark - Lemonade Love (sweet song with rap)
    TY - Cure (R&B)

*It's not yet released officially, but NCT127 Jpn song "Chain" sounds like a good music too. I heard it from their Japan showcase. XD I really like it! I can't wait for its release!

I also recommend you to listen to their pre-released songs in SM rookies era..like BoB, there are a couple of songs that are made but are not given full version. (Imagine my shock for BoB) I hope they can release the full version of these songs too:

Super Moon

Open the Door (It's one of TY's composed songs like Yestoday)

Enjoy listening! :D

#8 Sayuuu_29, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    Coelacanth and Zenning like this.
  9. Zenning

Zenning Artist

Did you also give 'Yestoday' a try?

Because I'm curious what you think of it, I get the feeling it may be more in your line:

or this one: Ten - Dream in a Dream

I'm not sure all their music is the same genre or style, they have the different sub-units not for nothing.
    I've also been kinda casual regarding NCT for a long time. But what I noticed is that with a number of the songs that when I listened a 2nd and a 3rd time to them, I started to catch up on subtle melodies and influences until they suddenly sort of clicked in my mind, and they end up being among my favorite playlists.

A number of NCT's songs remind me of foreign (to me) drinks and meals I got in the restaurant and at the supermarket. At first the taste is off or weird to me. Probably because the taste is so different from what I've been used to.
    But then with a number of those they end up being my favorite meals and drinks.

I had this with Baby Don't Stop and Boss (Dream in a dream and Yestoday I liked immediately).

Coelacanth likes this.
  10. Zenning

Zenning Artist

I liked this quote of yours:

That's exactly how I feel regarding kpop! :cool: (and why I often don't get the fandom tribalism and dissing on other kpop groups and kpop music styles, because it feels like limiting yourself unnecessarily to 1 branch)

Coelacanth likes this.
  11. JeanaKJY

JeanaKJY Artist

Resident VIP
    ^ That is me with every other group besides BIGBANG. Lmao

I have edited that quote a bit hehe

Coelacanth likes this.
  12. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Artist

Thanks so much for all of your thoughtful responses! I've learned another great thing about NCT today: their fans are positive and open-minded people happy to share their artists' work. And I'm happy to say that I've really liked a lot of these songs, too! @Sayuuu_29, you're totally right -- NCT seem to have an extremely diverse discography, and the songs that are "out there" enough to put me off are rapidly fading into the minority. And @Zenning, I loved the analogy you made; also, your point about NCT's different subunits is well-taken. I look forward to seeing where the group goes in the future!

Some songs I've been recommended today which especially stood out: 'Summer 127' and 'Sun & Moon' (@cp26); 'Dream in a Dream' (@realangel, @Zenning and @Sayuuu_29); 'Yestoday' (@Zenning), 'We Young,' 'Trigger the Fever,' 'Super Moon' and definitely more which I've forgotten but bookmarked because @Sayuuu_29 gave me such a helpful and comprehensive list... thanks again, everyone! :)

Oh, and @JeanaKJY, I may be of a more multifandom bent, but I can hardly criticize your taste haha! You know how much I love BIGBANG!

13. Znewie71

Znewie71 Artist

I really like nct music, i think it might become a miss for some people because they get used to that kpop vibe or musical trait. I dont know how to put it, i know all kpop songs are lyrically different but music wise it still follows that vibe, which you know its typical kpop music, and there are a few groups that go way out of that kpop vibe and create a distinct sound thats totally different, like for me nct, bap, block b, etc these type of groups music is so out there, so its a miss or hit for some. But i like nct, all the sub units, their music it really stands out.

14. biearbe

biearbe Entertainer

student
    the songs get better and more appealing like the more you listen to them
    like when i first heard go i was like... this is interesting
    but then i played it more and really liked it

but like *cracks knuckles* let me introduce you to their b -sides
    first of all Back 2 U is amazing (vocal killing line & YUTA HAS MORE LINES)
    Baby don't like it
    Whiplash
    0 Mile (Taeyong sings in this)
    Good Thing
    Paradise
    Angel

15. biearbe

biearbe Entertainer

student
    this isnt a bside
    but limitless is a really good song

Sayuuu_29 likes this.