Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

"The fandom should behave or else they'll be the end of the artist"

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by annoyed, Sep 23, 2018.

1. annoyed

annoyed Notable

Why does everyone keep using this quote as if it's true? If it really was then most boy group with crazy/loud/annoying fans would've been over by now, wouldn't they? It's weird how people say this yet all the big groups with fandoms people consider toxic are the ones who are thriving with or without the public support.

The same can be said for rising gg like Loona, they have a loud fandom, with a lot of trolls here and there, most kpop fans on twt do consider them as toxic as well and yet bc of the loudness they're the ones who are thriving even without public support.

Is there a big boyband fandom that never had toxic and loud people in it anyways?

2. Panda

Panda Married to @LuhansGreenHair

A group can still thrive despite the loud and obnoxious fans. However, it just made its chances smaller of getting new fans, because the first thing new fans will see is most likely those loud and obnoxious fans and if they don’t want part of that, they won’t join the fandom. How many times have you seen people who’re like “Oh I want to join (let’s say for example here) ARMY but I don’t like the fandom, they’re too messy.” They might go ahead and still support BTS and they won’t call themselves ARMY cause they don’t want to be associated with the fandom.

But we can also keep in mind that Loona bascially debuted with those obnoxious fans while other fandoms just started getting them when they were already established. I do think Loona will be one of those groups who will do well in the end, they are very talented and loved by people, but... their fandom won’t have a good reputation and idk how that will play out for them. :oops:

Also, to answer your questions, yes there are boy groups where the obnoxious fans are almost non-existing ^^

JunsuK, kgggg and annoyed like this.
  3. XmisteryGamerX

XmisteryGamerX Trainee

maybe they mean in general public eyes? like if x fans are known as bad they wont like them or smth

4. XmisteryGamerX

XmisteryGamerX Trainee

maybe they mean in general public eyes? like if x fans are known as bad they wont like them or smth

annoyed likes this.
  5. annoyed

annoyed Notable

I get that but it's still not gonna hurt their career or sales etc. Calling yourself a fandom name isn't really much if you don't contribute to the artist, you know? Despite a fandom reputation the fan that doesn't wanna call themselves the fandom name is still using money on the artist so is it really hurting the artist?

I mean big boy groups.Has there been a big boyband with a calm fandom? Even rookie group Wanna One who got big from the start got their own toxic fandom, so really is there any big groups without one?

Panda likes this.
  6. annoyed

annoyed Notable

Could be, but then again the GP hates every big boybands fandoms, but the boybands still thrives

7. mirella

mirella Married to @Silverfang719

rap enthusiast
    I don't think that quote is accurate, it should be more like "the fandom should behave well to avoid reflecting badly on the artist." Doubt it affects their fame.

JunsuK, LYP, annoyed and 4 others like this.
  8. Panda

Depending on what you define big, I personally would say Seventeen, Monday X, and GOT7 have relatively big fandoms and their fans aren’t honestly obnoxious...

kgggg likes this.
  9. Panda

I agree, it’s just hurting their reputation tho. Sales, etc, aren’t affected but I’m sure groups would love it if their fandom didn’t have a terrible reputation...

kgggg and HelloEllo like this.
  10. Zerachiel

Zerachiel Newbie

Triggering Reno
    It's more with possible new fans and the general public. To keep growing you need good publicity but if you have a very agressive and violent fandom the Publicity you gain won't be the kind you want.

During a raid we were talking about K-pop and joking around about groups we liked and didn't like. They were shocked I didn't like BTS cause I guess everyone had to. When I told them why they were respectful and one of us just as a joke said the fandom was the worst and the entire raid joined in agreeing with us.. some even saying army were fucking psychotic. Several were not K-pop fans and they even knew about how Psycho the fandom was... So yes a fandom can start to drag a group down.

kgggg and Queeeenie like this.
  11. pinzee

pinzee Rookie

For a real example, BtoB got into shit because of their fans.

The members used to actively host fan events at the Cube Cafe, getting to know their fans. Unfortunately, the more obsessed fans started to take over, hogging front row spots and harassing other Melodies in order to keep the members for themselves.

It looked like favouritism, they were named "saesang dols", and the situation looked worse by Cube's handling (making BtoB delete all their Twitters, aka making it look like BtoB were responsible). Boom, 5,000 to 10,000 fans lost. Potential new fans also avoided joining to protect themselves from harassment. Since then, BtoB had to keep their distance.

mirella likes this.
  12. Yabie

Yabie Icon

their reputation where? among teenage fans? among gp that doesnt care about idols anyways?
    i mean, those are masses of people that are liking someone, its bound to have assholes

have u seen wars between football fans? gamer wars?
    ain't nobody stopped playing games of watching football cuz of toxic people. they might have reputation for having loud obnoxious fans, but that doesn't stop new people from liking football/playing those games.

its just kpop fans tend to be younger, so they associate themselves with fandoms too much and treat it as some kind of religion or family

#12 Yabie, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    Laroucelle, annoyed and kgggg like this.
  13. Queeeenie

Queeeenie Public Figure

They won't 'be the end of the artist'
    Whoever says that is clearly exaggerating.
    It limits them to a degree, but it certainly won't finish off their career. I think it definitely lowers the general public's opinion of them.

kgggg likes this.
  14. Hermes1

Hermes1 Leader

[​IMG]

15. Hermes1

Hermes1 Leader

LOONA is a super rookie!

[​IMG]

16. Bebe

Bebe Married to @twinklingtwinkly

there's very few exceptions rather than the rule when it comes to this.
    Even then, the examples that come to mind the fans were decently. Wild. Like they can make armys look tamed.
    Other than that I mostly see that from people hoping the group fails and looking for excuse as to why they'll flop

annoyed likes this.
  17. cnpvj

cnpvj Newbie

I wonder if this applies more to k-fans. The korean general public has no idea about i-fans. K-fans, however, can group up together in person in public spaces and if they don't behave themselves they will get a bad name for their group amongst Korean GP

annoyed and kgggg like this.
  18. annoyed

annoyed Notable

Ehe... i wouldn't really consider it that big of a fandom, the fans themselves consider themselves for a small fandom as well.
    But i'm talking more of a top 2-3 groups. There's really not one fandom in that category that i wouldn't consider for loud or annoying.

But a big fandom will always have a reputation. Back then Beliebers were seen as the worst fans ever and yet the artist Justin Bieber kept thriving. So in that case how much of a harm can a big fandom do for an artist that's already at the top?

I get how a toxic fandom can ruin a small starting group, but i'm thinking more of a big group, how much harm can it do to the artist if they're already at the top?

19. Spinereader

Spinereader Trendsetter

Well it'll be the end of their sanity if fans don't behave. It's appalling the way fans treat idols, stalking them, verbally abusing them, and forcing them to behave a certain way (like not dating or having a negative opinion on anything ever.). So in a sense that's right.

20. annoyed

annoyed Notable

If that’s the case then all kpop boy groups would’ve ended considering how they treat an idol if they end up dating. Same thing with groups like EXO, of the 3rd gen group they had the worst stalkers from shaving their heads just to stalk members in the boys bathroom to getting a sample of their pee from their house??? But like the group is still thriving. So does this case really affect top groups?

I would like to add I’ve seen how dating scandals and the fans reactions have ruined some groups tho, like Pentagon. Which still proves the case that this doesn’t really affect top groups but more middle tier or rising groups