Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

[The Dark Side Of The Industry] Why Our Favs Need To Constantly Do Well

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by Darkyoda, May 21, 2018.

1. Darkyoda

Darkyoda Married to: peachHeaven

Buddy Gang
    Does anyone remember G.NA? I'm sure my Kpop oldies do. But, for the many young Kpop fans here, G.NA use to be a pretty successful solo artist. However, she started declining and for like 2 years, her songs weren't doing well anymore and frankly, she was flopping.
    -
    My point is, she was still well known to the public. She had a couple CFs and appeared on TV quite a bit, even if it wasn't the big shows like Happy Together or Running Man. But G.NA, about 2-3 years ago, was mixed up in a prostitution scandal. Now this scandal was very messy and G.NA had her side of the story to it. Anyway, not our place to judge. My point is, she said "I needed money to support my Mom and little sister. I was going through difficult times". The nation and i-fans were shook by this particular comment because this girl was successful and had HITS. She was even apart of CUBE, whom were doing pretty well then.
    -
    In my opinion, G.NA is a good reminder to us fans that Kpop artists get paid in peanuts by their companies. To not have enough money just after 2 bad years is kinda scary, especially since she was successful. She should've made quite a bit of money to last her more than just TWO bad years, even if she wasn't writing the most of her music.
    -
    I just thought of sharing because I was watching her old stuff and got sad thinking about her situation.

2. grassknives

grassknives Artist

mowing the lawn
    GramStan, Queen and Darkyoda like this.
  3. crispina_aguilera

crispina_aguilera Married to @Vwc_sugakookies

full time tiffany pollard stan
    That's so sad.
    Kpop is such a dark industry. Honestly I wish I didn't support it but I want to support the actual artists themselves which makes it hard

taetaeteddy and Darkyoda like this.
  4. IQYZS

IQYZS Married to @Ilt_II_gtI

Black & White was my jam back in the day. I was shocked when G.NA's scandal happened, but it reminded me that our faves really don't get paid much unless they're crazy successful or they write and produce their own music.

GramStan and Darkyoda like this.
  5. Chaittra

Chaittra Star

Hope troll YG is paying BP...

taetaeteddy and Darkyoda like this.
  6. Darkyoda

Buddy Gang
    Yes I'm sure they are! I heard YG has a good ratio when it comes to splitting profits with their artist. Of course, this information is from before YG's brother became CEO and a new board was appointed. I'm not sure how it is now. But during 2NE1/BB days. They were getting paid really well. The same can be said for JYP artists as well.

Chaittra likes this.
  7. Queen

Queen Legend

Jihyo's gf & pro Chen stan
    Honestly, I don't trust any company with paying idols the amount they deserve there's always stuff about training periods, royalties to the company and like five billion other things that I wouldn't be surprised if they throw in some random fees that are just scams.

Like no matter what they get a cut because they are producing the idol and music but sometimes I wonder if some companies take more than they deserve/earned

Darkyoda likes this.
  8. SlaYall

SlaYall Star

Mangoes
    I have this tendency to think about how kpop idols that do well earn better, groups or solo artists but the truth is we don't really know how much they're earning at all, especially since groups have to split incomes between the companies and themselves. Majority of kpop groups have a trainee debt to pay back as well.

I know that foreign idols also get paid a lot less than their fellow korean mates too.

Even Psy reportedly earned a grand total of $23,000 from Gangnam Style...
    *nvmd, not sure

#8 SlaYall, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
    Darkyoda likes this.
  9. feepit608

feepit608 Artist

I remember her getting her first win really quick. Such a shame she didn't do well enough for her to avoid that situation.

Darkyoda likes this.
  10. Chaittra

Chaittra Star

It doesn't matter if they come from well to do backgrounds. Apart from Jennie we are not even sure if they come from rich backgrounds.. TIME IS MONEY and YG has wasted a lot of their time... Let's hope they are actually getting paid...

I feel bad for Lisa though... She gets paid 6 times less on top of everything.:nervousk:

Darkyoda likes this.
  11. Darkyoda

Buddy Gang
    See the thing is, she did do THAT well to avoid this situation. If yall remember Black & White, it was a hit. She was everywhere. She became a regular on some shows because of her quirky personality and snagged quite a few CFs. I was so shocked to hear that she didn't make enough money :/

12. Rand_Al_Thor

it has been my understanding that SM pays the artists and the split comes on top of the base salary.
    The 2014 contract was 1mill per year for each member.

Darkyoda likes this.
  13. feepit608

feepit608 Artist

I guess not well enough to avoid it. I remember her being on underwear/denim CFs but IDK how Cube does shit.

Darkyoda likes this.
  14. e1021155

e1021155 Rookie

It's the same in America. Musicians barely make any money.

Darkyoda and A.Fishbowl like this.
  15. LuhanHobiarelife

This is why anyone going in the music industry in general Should know how to produce and compose music for a monetary purpose as people with only vocal ability but no composotion/production skill mostly get paid peanuts Like people who compose and produce their own music get much more like 10-20 times more than the normal Like some 3rd gen idols like RM,Suga,IIhoon,B.I,Zico,Suga,Kyung,Woozi etc Jonghyun also made a lot of money beside SHINEE as he was a writer for SM working for other artist Like IU.Exo etc these guys are truly making Bank and making good money to live comfortably for the rest of their lives plus Singers career ends in 5-9 years At THE BEST but producers can have a very long career suga even said after bts ends he will continue to make music for others Imagine how much bank he must have made from Suran.Even yongguk already start to produce music for other artists.But singers who dont produce even in top groups except if you like an Exo or Bts then singers make good(Still RM Suga and even J hope make much more than the other members).Seventeen is what concerns me tho except the producers I dont think the others are making a good living at all they just broke even and money paid may at max be 20K for other members Woozi is making like 100-200K easy tho per year.Same for Ikon B.I is making so much more than the other members(I may be over exaggerating a bit but with so many royalties B.I has he could even making 500-800K a year).Block B its obvious how much more money some are making than others.so yeah do not go in to the kpop industry for money if you are a singer who can't compose or produce its very risky and very low chance to reward but If you are actually musically talented and can produce and compose Kpop industry is extremely lucrative and expect to make a lot of money if you are a good producer

Darkyoda likes this.
  16. Byun_Aeri

Byun_Aeri Legend

She’s so talented and a great singer :(
    It’s really sad what happened to her .. I can’t believe people cancelled her for living

Darkyoda and GramStan like this.
  17. A.Fishbowl

A.Fishbowl Artist

Don't forget Stellar, who at a point asked the fans that if they wanted to support them instead buying their albums, give them gifts, since the company didn't pay them at all.

Darkyoda likes this.
  18. LuhanHobiarelife

Basically
    Singing,Dancing,Rapping on a base=Short term risky not lucrative at all
    Production,Composition=Extremely Lucrative and long term A lot of money

Darkyoda likes this.
  19. e1021155

e1021155 Rookie

But he was on the top of Forbes list in 2013. Where did you hear this?

The top idols in Korea regularly top the Forbes list- IU, Big Bang, Exo, SNSD, BTS, Twice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes_Korea_Power_Celebrity

In Korea big idols get paid more than even high name actors and athletes, so it's more lucrative to become an idol.

They get most of their income from concerts and CF's.

Darkyoda likes this.
  20. SlaYall

SlaYall Star

Mangoes
    Forbes list has to do with professional achievements, influence, and popularity too

Someone said it and had a link too but I lost it. I should change it though, because we'd have to see his contract to understand how much he made alone, not him and YGent together.

Darkyoda likes this.