Thank you, Solar!

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by pixilattedd, Feb 6, 2020.

Tags:
  1. pixilattedd

pixilattedd Public Figure

Currency:
    Student
    I just wanted to write an appreciation post to Solar because recently she talked about Female Genital Mutilation (A practice utilized in many countries that's very hurtful and harmful to women) in her YT channel.

It's so nice to see someone that has a lot of influence talking about an important issue for women like that! The world could really use more people doing the same thing! She even talked about how you can donate to prevent the problem.
    The video btw:

Korainism, Menean, Hallybell and 18 others like this.
  2. boyvert4bom

boyvert4bom Super Rookie

Currency:
    So, what happened to respecting African Culture?!?

I mean, it's pretty racist to think SHE knows better than some Africans...

3. pixilattedd

Currency:
    Student
    Well, first she did a quite good research with some reliable sources of information, such as Unicef and other international organizations. And it's a heated topic of discussion, but many african movements and people also disapprove the practice.

She didn't actually disrespect african culture or any culture traditions, instead she did touch a lot of important topics about the subject. The procedure is usually done in very bad conditions and can cause many problems to the victim when not done correctly or in poor sanitary conditions and how this harms women in 30 countries around the globe. And besides, it is a quite risky cultural practice, it can cause recurrent infections, difficulty urinating and passing menstrual flow, an inability to get pregnant, cronic pain, development of cysts, complications during childbirth, and fatal bleeding. Also there are no known health benefits. A lot of studies have also concluded women that passed through FGM are more likely to suffer from PTSD, anxiety and depression.

More often than not, people who endure this procedure don't have any information about the risks it might have and many organizations are focused on spreading at least this. And she did nothing wrong warning people of the risks.

4. briarheart

briarheart Super Rookie

Currency:
    Happy to stan such a sweet and wise idol. I wish more idols would speak their honest opinions on real issues (or even learn about them), some really feel like puppets to me...

Sickening this stuff still happens in this world, and all us westerners do is cry about freaking hairstyles... Get your priorities straight damnit.

5. popularit

popularit ☂Astraphobic☂

Currency:
    Taemin's Wife
    i swear watching that video made my coochie hurt lmao

6. pixilattedd

Currency:
    Student
    IKR? It's so refreshing to see an idol like that! She definetely has become one of my favorites and I hope she does more of this!

7. crystal105

crystal105 Super Rookie

Currency:
    It's honestly great that she uses her platform to bring awareness to issues like this. Her channel is a mix of fun and educational :)

8. magito

magito Trendsetter
    . Awards Team

Currency:
    --- You can't say that FGM is a characteristic of African Culture. Saying that it's in any way disrespectful towards it, is completely illogical because FGM is common practice in other countries outside of Africa. India and Pakistan for example.

--- FGM usually refers to partial/total removal of the clitoris (/and parts of the labia) because of religious believes. No study has found health benefits of removing these parts. Exactly the opposite. FGM leaves the girl/woman in great pain and, because many nerve endings get cut off, unable to have an orgasm. Severe infection risks arise and FGM can also mean every following sex act causes the woman pain. Etc.

--- Mutilation destroys functionality which in most cases is against the UN's convention on the rights of the child - because FGM is usually done to young girls.

--- It's not SHE who ''knows better than some Africans''. It's most of the DOCTOR's unions around the world - the African ones included.
    FGM is banned by UN - not by Solar.​

#8 magito, Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    Korainism, Menean, Hallybell and 13 others like this.
  9. pixilattedd

Currency:
    Student
    You tell 'em those infos!

10. magito

magito Trendsetter
    . Awards Team

Currency:
    I actually wanted to add that one:
    [​IMG]
    But it sounded too butthurt... And I'm not.
    I actually laughed at their comment :D
    Ignorance on another level.​

#10 magito, Feb 6, 2020
  11. glowello Celebrity

Currency:
    Making bad threads
    Are YOU African? Cause if you aren't, you can't say that. I am actually African (well kinda. I've only been there once but I have a lot of family that live there and those issues mean a great deal to me) and I'm so glad that she is bringing attention to this topic. Genital mutilation is very dangerous and is detrimental to the people who have to go through it. Also, she did her research and isn't trying to speak over Africans but actually help them. Before calling her racist, please check yourself for ignorance

12. Moomoo_lion

Moomoo_lion Trainee

Currency:
    I learnt something new today about my culture ... Nigeria has the most cases of FGM/C ... yikes

13. glowello Celebrity

Currency:
    Making bad threads
    Hey fellow Nigerian!
    Yeah that's bad. Hopefully things like this will bring more attention to it and help to stop it!

14. Angela_Cao

Angela_Cao Hwasa's Alt allkpop Account

Currency:
    Hwasa's Public Media Relations Manager
  15. Angela_Cao

Angela_Cao Hwasa's Alt allkpop Account

Currency:
    Hwasa's Public Media Relations Manager
    Female circumcision has been a widespread issue, especially in African countries, and not only has it been proven as a true violation to basic human rights (especially indication to misogyny and oppressive patriarchy), but also can cause certain health issues as well such as infertility and possible infection (especially with the device used for circumcision; also possible cause of the alleged and resulting infertility as well), and thus backfiring the cultural purpose of these customs (giving healthy birth to maintain the human population). Thus, it’s nice on how Solar is raising the issue up, especially with so many people everywhere not well-aware or even aware at all (most likely the case in South Korea I highly suspect) of the issue as a whole. :)

#15 Angela_Cao, Feb 6, 2020
  16. sweettaylor

sweettaylor Celebrity

Currency:
    I am so proud of her
    She seems like she genuinely cares about these issues and she really went out of her way to educate herself.
    I haven't seen many celebrities doing that. I thought it wasn't possible but i love her even more now:loverr3:

magito and Hallybell like this.
  17. Hallybell

Hallybell Married to @misoni

Currency:
    It’s great from her part to use her exposure to bring awareness on subjects like that.

Female genital mutilations just show the worst of humanity.