Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

[teen stories] WHAT ARE SM'S STANDARDS

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by Leeelee, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Leeelee

Leeelee Rookie

[teen stories] WHAT ARE SM'S STANDARDS

[​IMG]
    They have to be of course pretty...? but Yoo Yeonjung isn't on the pretty side, but she was a trainee at SM, even Oh Hyuk made it to the audition, I wonder what their standards are?
    post response:
    [+26][-5]
    original post: here

Yoo Yeonjung's singing is SM's style [+37, -0]

Yoo Yeonjung's singing ability is enough so that they disregard her face. They probably picked her without looking at her face... And their standards are case by case
    [+32, -0]
    I think that Yoo Yeonjung's voice is similar to Taeyeon's .. It's like how they picked Chen based on singing ability
    [+27, -1]

First of all, they probably won't think stuff like "Will we be able to perform procedures on their faces, how will they look like thick VS clean makeup" but I think they look at the potential you could have a choose based on that
    [+22, -0]

It's hard to define what SM wants in words, they just look for people who exude the SM style..!
    [+13, -0]

If they take care of their face, they will be choosing based on face, if people are auditioning for dance or singing and really stand out, they'll choose the one who stand out the most. They don't need the full package. All agencies choose based on daebak visuals and teach them the skills later at the end of the day
    [+10, -0]

(It was hard translating this post or putting this here so shout out to the ones who do this! We appreciate you :D )

kddicted likes this.
  2. kddicted

kddicted Legend

SM looks for a certain type..don't know how to explain

Leeelee likes this.
  3. Leeelee

Leeelee Rookie

Yeah, someone told me that an ex-trainee said that sm looks for charisma and having that 'star' look. but of course you need to be somewhat attractive :L

kddicted likes this.
  4. kddicted

kddicted Legend

They have a certain type of face that they like
    They also focus on vocals I've noticed

Jen_Chae_Li_Soo and Leeelee like this.
  5. Leeelee

Leeelee Rookie

Yeah I think what they're mainly looking for is determination because they can improve and become the best of the best.

kddicted likes this.
  6. jasmine_s

jasmine_s Artist

Obviously they have visual standards. But its dumb think that is all SM cares for. I mean if the girl is pretty but hopeless in talent, she'd be disqualified too.

Jen_Chae_Li_Soo likes this.
  7. KoShinwon

KoShinwon Artist

My inner ujung/ioi stan is extremely triggered by this yeonjung slander

Lowkey agree tho

SM does look for visuals, but it's not all they look for, they do have a focus on talent as well. Now, if you want a company that goes for visuals, take a look at JYP and all the talented trainees they've dropped in exchange for visuals

8. wuxiee

wuxiee Entertainer

visuals do play a huge part, but so does talent. it's not hard to get plastic surgery to fix up your face if it doesn't fit 'standards' but it's not easy to get talented that fast. sm is known for having amazing talent and visuals, i'm guessing most idols during trainee periods take care of their skin, hair, etc so they're 'pretty' enough to debut. i don't think visual is that high of a standard in sm in all honesty just because they can fix that. (not saying you should fix your face)

crissies likes this.
  9. Jen_Chae_Li_Soo

I've noticed that they always have at least 1 strong and stable vocalist, 1 beauty icon( like elegant beauty) and 1 standout dancer in their groups. So that's what they are always looking for? Generally, combination of talent and visual

10. IlikekpopIguess

It depends on looks and musical ability, if one is below sm's standards the other one has to make up for it