tbh GOT7 are flopping, JYP should invest in other groups

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by mirella, Mar 10, 2018.

?

Are GOT7 selling well?

1. Yes, they're flopping.

2. No, their sales are good.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mirella

mirella Married to @Silverfang719

Currency:
    rap enthusiast
    For the record, I'm not even a GOT7 fan (I only really like "If You Do").

I don't know if people who criticise GOT7 for their supposed 'lack of success' have actually bothered to check out their album sales.

Their latest album 7 for 7 sold 368K+, which is nothing to laugh at. Flight Log: Arrival (2017) sold 334K+ copies. Compared to the previous year, Flight Log: Departure and Flight Log: Turbulence (2016) sold 183K+ and 236K+, respectively. Their fandom is only growing and it's evident that they're not in decline.

In terms of album sales, they're currently only after BTS, EXO, and Wanna One, and I would say on par with Seventeen. Comparing Seventeen's and GOT7's sales data for 2017, they're pretty similar.

Generally, people call GOT7 flops and Seventeen successes, when both groups have very close sales. Neither groups are flops -- as a matter of fact, they're both very successful -- and although Seventeen has better digitals than GOT7, digitals don't matter for most boy groups. Popularity-wise (based on fandom size and sales) I would put GOT7 only slightly after Seventeen, if not in the same tier.

GOT7 are making JYP money -- they might not be the current "trending" group, Korea might not care much about them, their digitals might be weak, but they have a solid fanbase that will buy up their albums.

Albums = money. Money = not flopping.

Check your facts before calling GOT7 flops. Or, you know, don't call groups flops at all.

----

EDIT: Oops sorry, poll fail. The no and yes are switched. But y'all know what I mean, right?

#1 mirella, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  2. Venomous

Venomous Idol

Currency:
    Artist
    Hi, I love you. You even brought facts. :omgr::loverr2::loverr3:

3. Meloverse

Meloverse ♔ Snake Princess ♔

Currency:
    ☾ Universe // Byulharang ☆
    You know kpop fans and their impossible ass standards... unless you sell 1M in physicals or digitals, then you're a nugu flop who deserves to disband and that's just how it works :/

"Flops" with 3k in sales wish they could flop with 300k :/

4. StarlightMonbebe

StarlightMonbebe Trendsetter

Currency:
    Defsoul should write all their songs and like Jinyoung can film the mvs and Jackson + Mark can write lyrics with JB and they can create their own label and it would all be good.

5. commonusername

commonusername Trainee

Currency:
    this title had me tight for a sec but yeah no printer just fax. most people who give got7 dust dont know much about them anyway :/
    youre right. they've only gone up and JYP has finally given them some good promo for this cb so hopefully it does well. ultimately the money they bring in for jype isn't looking anything like flopping or disbandment at all i literally don't understand people lol

6. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Super Rookie

Currency:
    I totally agree with @Leonidas_I :)

I think that people tend to overestimate what it takes for a group to be considered "successful." BTS and EXO are the two most bestselling boy groups in Korea -- of course most others won't perform at that level! But there's also no need for them to. GOT7, and many other groups, have respectable sales and easily make back their promotion costs. Turning a profit is success in my book!

7. EazyC

EazyC ♔Slytherin Queen♔

Currency:
    。⋆୨୧˚Driving Momo's Pink Lamborghini˚୨୧⋆。
    I think most people forget that trending and views don't mean anything if your album isn't selling. A solid fandom who buys your album but your MV gets 15 million views is worth 6000000% more then getting 100 million views but only selling 40k albums.

Flozo22, Asianfan678, LYP and 6 others like this.
  8. minwoobubs

minwoobubs Super Rookie

Currency:
    got7 and seventeen’s popularity are more or less the same really. only got7 is more popular internationally while svt is more popular in korea/japan

ighrysh_svt17, LYP, lighterxx and 2 others like this.
  9. mirella

mirella Married to @Silverfang719

Currency:
    rap enthusiast
    I only speak the truth ;)

I'm sorry, I failed at the poll :sweatr: The no and yes are switched. If you think they're flopping, it's the first one. If you think they're selling well, the second.

Hint hint, the second is correct! :)

Exactly, this. Their fandom is growing and their physicals are strong yet most people don't notice that; they see "dismal" YouTube views or whatnot and jump on the "GOT7 are flops!!" boat.

EazyC, LYP, miss_pecans and 1 other person like this.
  10. Jeremy_3Kpop

Currency:
    첸첸
    This is a great fact thread. TBH Even though GOT7 isn't the biggest boy group currently, JYP still decides to do so many promotes for them. That's why I like JYP more in terms of company.
    (No company is perfect for me but at least he has a heart. Wonder Girls and Miss A don't complain much about JYP, so you know the truth..)

I was afraid that JYP won't invest much on GOT7 cause they're about to debut another group. It isn't truth though. They still promote them well but if only other companies will learn...

On the other day, I post about how bad managers are in other companies. I don't see people complaining about JYP.

Flozo22, LYP and mirella like this.
  11. purnhub

purnhub Public Figure

Currency:
    purn star
    because girls have wet V's, everytime they see their bias' abs, they go gaga!

12. SoheeDumpling

SoheeDumpling Newbie

Currency:
    Auditor
    300k+ album sales is kinda hard to achieve nowadays. Just because they aren't selling millions of albums, that doesn't mean they are flopping.

13. Moya_chin

Moya_chin Newbie

Currency:
    University Student
    I came ready to fight, not gonna lie. You got me there.

That aside, kpop fans that call GOT7 flops either are bandwagon haters or just plainly misinformed on what makes a group actually popular and successful.

No, YT views don't mean anything if those millions of people don't buy the album. No, being number one on melon is not the only way to measure popularity and how much money an artist is making, especially in the kpop industry where fandom power is vital for idol groups since the general public doesn't favor them that easily and their best shot at making money is by touring.

TL;DR Stop saying that groups are flops. It's a dead meme.

randomstrang3r, LYP and mirella like this.
  14. Moya_chin

Moya_chin Newbie

Currency:
    University Student
  15. feepit608

feepit608 Celebrity

Currency:
    I feel like people call them flops because they come from the Big 3 and don't win in music shows that much.

16. Vipmultifandom10

Vipmultifandom10 Married to @RoAnon9935

Currency:
    from multifandom land where there are no haters
    Its all international fans work.
    In korea they are not well known to the general public other than teens and 20s.

No hate though. Im actually a fan.

Alot of groups in korea these days are not known to the general public.

And sometimes its the other way. There are groups that are popular in korea but not internationally. (Example - bolbalgan4 )

mirella likes this.
  17. Zaera

Zaera Super Rookie

Currency:
    An argument using numbers is my kink.

mirella likes this.
  18. 4everfaith

4everfaith Public Figure

Currency:
    Honestly though. Exo, bts and wanna one are on a whole other level when it comes to album sales so to compare other groups and call them flops for not selling 1 million isn't fair. Compared to what the average boy band sell, Got7 is doing pretty well for themselves. They have a relatively stable fan base in Korea and internationally.
    But i guess nowadays flop just means "well I don't like their music so they couldn't be doing well"

BaoziLea, Znewie71, EazyC and 3 others like this.
  19. oxygenize

oxygenize Public Figure

Currency:
    Zayn's saesang
    I want to “flop” like GOT7 does...

Znewie71, LYP and mirella like this.
  20. LiteralGarbage

LiteralGarbage Super Rookie

Currency:
    Glad someone said it so I didn't have to :') Bitch even came in with f a c t s.

mirella likes this.