'star power'

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by outrotears, Jun 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. outrotears

outrotears Trainee

Currency:
    We all know that popular groups are called 'talentless' and undeserving of their popularity by someone on a daily basis, but can we all just admit that popularity is not just about 'talent' but also about 'star power' which in itself I consider a talent.

But what do you guys would qualify as 'star power'? I personally think there are 6 main qualities:

1. Being able to make others feel attached to you and your music and content and be able to make others want to see you succeed.
    2. Being hard to imitate and stand out visually among other groups
    3. Being expressive without seeming fake or tryhard and being a good communicator even without using words
    4. Being relatable
    5. Strong chemistry and dynamic between the members + many different personalities
    6. Being changeable while still keeping your core identity

However, those groups' music and content and overall talent is still the main thing to make them blow up, in my opinion. Let's put it that way - e.g you can replace BTS with anyone else that is supposedly more handsome, more talented, hits higher notes, has half of the above qualities, etc., but if that group never had a title track like Run, I wouldn't really look twice at them.

So popular groups are not less talented than others per se, they just have the advantage of knowing how to play the popularity game and obtain long-term stans better than others.

Sergeantx, Castor and Zsh like this.
  2. Zsh

Zsh Trendsetter

Currency:
    Yeah... its one of the reasons why a lot of big 3 groups amassed big ass fandoms. Their members and groups have star power.

3. scaryguy_ivar

scaryguy_ivar Jeon Soyeon fanboy

Currency:
    most big 3 groups don't have star power

4. outrotears

outrotears Trainee

Currency:
    Are you being sarcastic or? Big3 groups are indeed more likely to have star power since big3 companies choose the best of the best and look for specific qualities and are extremely picky from personalities to looks to talents, it doesn't mean it always works though, that's why you could find big companies like JYP who have all the resources but so far haven't been able to get a top boy group in this generation. That's why there's the second half of my post that says this is only part of the reason for it.

Zsh likes this.
  5. Zsh

Zsh Trendsetter

Currency:
    Agreed.... thats why I said 'alot' and not 'all'

outrotears likes this.