somi had a bad debut? Really?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by Camila123, Jul 20, 2019.

?

Do you think Somi actually had a bad debut?

1. No, but She could do better

11 vote(s)
    39.3%
  2. Yes, definitely

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. No, She did it well

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. Yes, But not so bad

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. I think she had a bad debut, but I like her songs

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  6. I think she had a good debut, but I not like her songs

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Camila123

Camila123 Newbie

Currency:
    Well, let's talk a little about Somi's debut ... particularly the "birthday" as the main song I did not like, on the contrary "outta my head" I loved it.

Now, many people say that Somi's debut was a complete failure ... for me those comments are stupid, very jealous and envious.

Personally I agree that Somi would be better as part of a group of girls and not as much as a soloist, and although "birthday" has not been to my liking, that does not mean that Somi is not a great artist, she is the perfect stereotype of A feminine idol of kpop, dance, vocal, rap, visual and personality and although it does not stand out particularly in one of those characteristics, she has them all, that's why she will always be fine.

Well ... Somi's debut was not the best that my eyes had the pleasure of seeing, not even the most incredible, but overall it was very good, her debut was not at all basic.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    - Somi makes its debut in the top 10 in the world ranking of sales of digital songs:
    # 7Birthday
    # 9 outta my head
    Also according to billboard, her debut album sold 1,000 copies the first week, so to be the debut of a kpop soloist, she did well in sales.
    [​IMG]

-the position of her songs in the musical lists were not extremely high but neither horribly low and in the first hours of the debut she dominated some musical lists and her general position was stable.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- Ranked # 8 of female idols with more view of 2019 with her "birthday" fancams ..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- has a large number of unique listeners on Spotify and other digital music platforms and Spotify is ranked # 5 among the most listened to female kpop soloists ..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and so she has another amount of things that show that she did very well with her debut stage:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I firmly believe that she could have done much better, definitely should have chosen another date for her debut when the waters with the scandals of yg had calmed down more.

the lack of trophies in musical shows and position in the musical lists of Korea were due to the negative effect of yg but internationally it was positioned better.

but in general her good debut shows that here in Korea the name of somi is still very strong, my friends and classmates and the general youth know who is Somi, not for nothing even before her debut she is a frequent guest in programs of varieties and important as knowing bros to which you can only go if they invite you ...

conclusion: the popularity of somi is really great in Korea before the debut and now bigger after the debut even bigger than many groups.
    [​IMG]

So now I want to ask this: with what arguments do people say that Somi's debut was a total failure?

TheLadybug likes this.
  2. Camila123

Camila123 Newbie

Currency:
    I forgot this ... somi has the # 2 position as the most watched debut of a kpop female soloist in the first 24 hours and at a general level the # 3 most watched video of a kpop female soloist in the first 24 hours ... and # 15 of the most watched kpop videos of 2019 .... this has to mean something .... I think ...

3. beanzies

beanzies IKONic
    Events Team .

Currency:
    LanaWhatever and EGG like this.
  4. BQpop

BQpop Rookie

Currency:
    I think if Somi was an artist debuting for the first time, people would have been impressed with her. But because she's already debuted multiple times, is a little more familiar with performing on stage and was voted No. 1 in popularity during Produce 101, I guess people expected more from her.

#4 BQpop, Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  5. Leean_Taeyong

Leean_Taeyong A-List

Currency:
    Factory Shit
    I liked Birthday

She needs to practice her stage presence

6. Eye_Dull

Eye_Dull Celebrity

Currency:
    I'm not sure about the numbers, listeners or whatever metric you wanna use, but I'll tell you her first performance did her no favors. Granted she did improve almost instantly after. I'm willing to bet a number of Koreans won't be there for next comeback just because of that first stage, first impressions are a lot and she looked like she didnt belong.

acid_dream and Haolat like this.
  7. vaahiny

vaahiny Idol

Currency:
    eating ants
    yes, it's a bad song imo, but suits her, explaining why I don't care for neither

8. iCorn

iCorn ♔KING OF PAIN♔
    Tech Team Moderator ` . .

Currency:
    Tzuyu's baby daddy
    I mean thats usually how it goes with alot of soloist, title track isn't for everyone but a b-side is what we really want to hear.

9. Multi_Smile

Multi_Smile Married to @YujaJinsoo

Currency:
    It was good, i loved it

10. NorthernAurora

NorthernAurora Public Figure

Currency:
    The song was terrible and her stage presence sucked so yes

11. ohmyqueen

ohmyqueen Super Rookie

Currency:
    She just doesn't have enough charisma or stage presence, and that's why she would be better off in some girl group.

Her vocals aren't exactly anything amazing, either.

12. Park_Oppa

Park_Oppa Trendsetter

Currency:
    Being a full time mom to my son Taeyong.
    Has nothing to do with timing. Lee Hi did amazing despite the YG scandal it was only Hanbin that screwed her over. If Somi had a better debut song she would’ve done better. Just look at how high she charted imagine Teddy giving a shit she wouldn’t have freefalled on Melon that fast.

Also her showcase stage and debut stage wasn’t received well in Korea too. Which affected her image and charting performance. Plus if you look at the stats when she was nominated with RV at Mcountdown not only was her digitals horrid her live votes were too. She barely got people voting for her.

Anyways her solo was a failure. She was the center in one of the most popular groups. Hyped for days. So I ain’t giving her a free pass.

13. babybat

babybat Public Figure

Currency:
    idk for someone who has debuted 76 times, she was lacking in both stage presence and vocals.

it wasn't a bad solo debut. i didn't like birthday, but it charted alright. her b-side was a lot better. i still stand by my opinion that she just doesn't have what it takes to be a good soloist and would fare better in a group.

tldr; wasn't bad, could have been better. i hope her first comeback shows her skills and she shines instead of being overshadowed by her dancers.

acid_dream likes this.