So why do people watch dubbed anime ???

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga' started by Aoki91, May 20, 2017.

1. Iris_Dragonoure

Currency:
    Seventeen Garbage
    I'll watch most in Japanese, but if the characters have English names like in Fairy Tail or Seven Deadly Sins, I'll watch the dub if I can stand the voices. I had to watch Black Butler in Japanese because I couldn't stand Ciel's voice actress. Sometimes I'll watch the series with Japanese names in English because I simply enjoy them like Ouran and Mamotte! Lollipop, but I watch most anime with subs. I watched through Noragami so many times that I don't even need the subs when I watch it. Either I remember the dialogue, or I just got better at Japanese.

2. FredVasco

FredVasco Newbie

Currency:
    Writer
    wow, cool, nothing to say

3. chocolattelove

Currency:
    bECAUSE SOMETIMES DUB IS MILDLY BETTER THAN SUB (db series TT_TT)

xoxoshawol likes this.
  4. Rossonant

Rossonant Newbie

Currency:
    Pro: can fully watch the scenes
    Con: there are cringy dubs haha

5. BeckywithDgdhat

Currency:
    Angel
    dubs are easier. you just listen instead of read. subbed anime annoys me. I don't mind subbed dramas but anime for anime, if there's a dub i'd watch it instead of the sub

6. xoxoshawol

xoxoshawol Public Figure

Currency:
    I don't like Japanese dubbing 'cause girls' voices are irritating and they sometimes they sound like they're painfully moaning all the time and that's weird af and sometimes guys sound so tired I feel breathless and it's annoying can't explain this properly. I noticed this is not because of the language, but it's just the way they "act" while dubbing. Also, they sound overacting really often.

^^ That's the exact reason why I prefer reading manga than watching anime
    to the point that if a popular anime has manga version, I just read the manga. My mind dubs the character the way it wants to.

Dubbed animes in my mother language (Portuguese) are amazing.
    don't judge me

But there are some exceptions of anime I prefer in Japanese: Yuri on Ice and Ouran HSHC, for example. And some anime I loved watching, but stopped because of the Japanese dub
    the breathless stuff happened here: Tokyo Ghoul (I hope someday they'll dub this not patient enough to read the manga this time), Hourou Musuko, Vampire Knight.

7. whateverwonwoo

whateverwonwoo Public Figure

Currency:
    anyone who watches dubbed anime is weak and natural selection is coming for them

8. Redvana

Redvana Newbie

Currency:
    Probably easier than reading

9. Melancholia

Melancholia Rookie

Currency:
    I imagine that someone who is dyslexic would prefer dubbed anime. Subs can go really fast sometimes.

10. Agbraxas

Agbraxas Newbie

Currency:
    My mom always wants to watch everything dubbed because she doesn't want to read. For me, dubs are just too bad. The original voice actors put in so much emotion and basically are an inseparable part of the character, but dub actors have one job and they can't even pronounce their characters' names correctly.
    Beyond having crappy acting, dubs often are translated slightly off and lose meaning of the original content. And some things just don't make sense at all dubbed (like when characters explain the meaning and how to write the different kanji of their name, or when 4kids calls onigiri jelly filled donuts). For me I ONLY watch dub if the anime is really really well known for its dub or if I'm watching mecha because mecha has so much lore and technical terms and acronyms that it gets confusing in the original language to follow sometimes. Also if that dub is the English dub of Ghost Stories.

11. diamondsky

diamondsky Rookie

Currency:
    i actually don't mind dubbed. sometimes i actually prefer the dubbed. i like fullmetal alchemist's dub. also cowboy bebop's.
    but sometimes yeah the dub is just awful, where it's over the top and just bad voice acting. i tend to ignore those tho

12. AlexLee25

AlexLee25 Newbie

Currency:
    I cant watch dubbed anime. It takes me out of the realism of the show/movie. If they ever start using good voice actors, I would change my mind, but so far, dubbed is done by talentless voice actors.

13. twinklingtwinkly

twinklingtwinkly Trendsetter

Currency:
    ✨#1 Jeongyeon Stan✨
    Dub anime is so cringy. When first watched anime I watched it in the dub but later in sub because the who pronunciation is wrong. Dub does not give of much passion and emotion as sub does

14. Dekupa

Dekupa Newbie

Currency:
    So, people can't have an opinion? some like dubs, others like subs. Who cares anymore, just go watch whatever version you prefer. I personally like both, I mostly watch dub but if there is no dub for a show i wanna watch then i'll just watch sub. This whole sub vs dub debate is just so stupid.

15. Vulneraria

Vulneraria Newbie

Currency:
    The dubbing makes the anime fake and I am not able to grasp the 100% of the subtle nuances.
    The only anime I hated in japanese was fisherman Sanpei. They yelled like crazy ALL the first episode I had to abort the serie.

16. Blaenavon9

Blaenavon9 Star

Currency:
    Some anime are better dubbed because they have a foreign setting. Like Le Chevalier D'Eon, Baccano, Emma etc.

17. Vulneraria

Vulneraria Newbie

Currency:
    Emma a Victorian Romance?
    :)

18. Blaenavon9

Blaenavon9 Star

Currency:
    Yeah but Emma original audio was also very good..

Vulneraria likes this.
  19. chickseli

chickseli Rookie

Currency:
    After 10+ years, I'm pretty much trained to read and watch at the same time. I miss nothing.

20. Vulneraria

Vulneraria Newbie

Currency:
    Oh really? I watched Emma dubbed years ago it was the only one available in my country, I will have a look on Kiss Anime:)