So why do people watch dubbed anime ???

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga' started by Aoki91, May 20, 2017.

1. ExoticQueen

ExoticQueen Leader

Currency:
    '94 Liner Sugar 노나
    I watch dub because I'm too lazy to read. I only watch sub with there isn't any dub available. As for the argument of not getting the full experience, I can only see it that way when the anime is centered on Traditional Japanese folktales, mythology, or history such as Genji Monogatari Sennenki or Shōnen Onmyōji. But even still I'd try finding the dub if available. Also not all dub is bad.:cool:
    [​IMG]

AnimalFan30 likes this.
  2. chiyace

chiyace Newbie

Currency:
    1) Some people are lazy and believe the eng dub is enough to completely grasp the story and not miss anything.

or

2) they're not used to reading sub, & still more comfortable hearing it and understanding it that way. It's like some people just want to stick to their country common food/cuisine and don't want to try other culture foods. Their comfortable that way and just not interested in trying things out. People are very attached to Familiarity.

3. stellabelly

stellabelly Newbie

Currency:
    technology change it and due to technology anime market rising... I know french and love to watch french anime no need to dub.

4. Fightersfight

Fightersfight Newbie

Currency:
    That your ugly ### sit there talking ####. 2000 your so old things are different now old man. I hate people like you

5. Ryugagotoku

Ryugagotoku Newbie

Currency:
    A person who watches a few dubs here, nowadays I watch anime subbed but I'm not a snob about it. I enjoy English voice actors when they're at panels too.

6. JoeBlax

JoeBlax Newbie

Currency:
    I find it extremely annoying that people here seem to think you can only prefer dubs if you're too lazy to read subs.
    It seems like people here are incapable of understanding separate opinions, that some simply like them.

7. Kim_NamjoonRM

Kim_NamjoonRM Newbie

Currency:
    Honestly I like some dubs. So far I like most of the English dubs I've heard like Cheer Boys, Nanbaka, Darker Than Black, Death Parade, DRAMAtical Murder, Diabolik Lovers (Yes even season 2 in English, but only for the guys lol), Prince of Stride, Hetalia and Squid Girl (Squid Girl is the 1st anime I watched then I got out of anime but then my friend/ex girlfriend {note: I am a girl (biologically) but gender fluid to make it clear I'm not a male writing this} got me into Hetalia and I branched out and found other anime I like annnnd I'm getting off topic.) But some dubs are good, and usually most people don't like dubs like me but as a native English speaker, in my opinion, I need to hear it in my own language but sometimes I'm forced to watch subs like for all seasons of Uta No Prince Sama, Haikyuu, Kuroko no Basuke and many others on my list.
    Also if you want to talk because I need friends who like anime and kpop
    My instagram is @ichinose._.tokiya
    I may get twitter back and if I do I will add it
    Bye~

8. Kim_NamjoonRM

Kim_NamjoonRM Newbie

Currency:
    I agree honestly
    Like people need to understand others may like dubs more and not subs

9. MarieMusic

MarieMusic Newbie

Currency:
    Musician
    p

Personally i hate watching the anime Dubbed !

RWBYWeiss likes this.
  10. Cyddc

Cyddc Trainee

Currency:
    Student
    maybe they're not used to reading subtitles, especially when characters are talking really fast.

or the dubs are better than the subs, which is a real case but it does happen sometimes

11. RWBYWeiss

RWBYWeiss Rookie

Currency:
    Some anime dubs are good. I actually liked sailor moon and Utena (yes I love 90s anime shoot me lol)

12. gouri

gouri Rookie

Currency:
    sometimes the text is annoying
    and when i first watched anime i always thought that the japanese voices were ait high pitched so i used to watch the eng dubbed ones. now i watch subbed

13. ffs

ffs Trainee

Currency:
    when someone tells me they watch dubbed i'm like OMG WHAT YOU DO WHAT HOW COULD YOU WOEJFAJef

but, i think it comes down to they are more comfortable with the language. like with dub they can watch in the background.

BUT IF YOU WATCHING IN THE BACKGROUND ARE YOU REALLY WATCHING IT AT ALL????!??!?!? >insert ong face of disbelief<

14. Somnia

Somnia Public Figure

Currency:
    Queens, InSomnia, Buddy
    The whole Dragonball saga I just need to watch it in dubbed English because I grew up with it. Bleach I need with subs bc English in this case can be quite cringe. Whereas Pokémon or Digimon I need it dubbed in my native language bc English and Japanese would be weird, bc again I grew up hearing it in my native language. So it really all has it's reasons as to why and how I watch anime. If I start watching a new anime I'll always watch it with subs though.

15. HoneyPhantomhive

Currency:
    I have a friend who watches anime, but she reads really slow. Any time she would try to watch subbed anime it would take her 15 extra minutes because she had to pause and read every time new dialogue popped up. I don’t think all people are nessicarily lazy (but some are), I think a lot of people have legitimate reasons for watching dubbed as opposed to subbed. I personally don’t like dubbed and watch subbed, but when I started watching anime I watched dubbed because I too read slowly.

16. Anja_1990

Anja_1990 Star

Currency:
    Student
    For me, it completely depends on the situation. I watch both dub and sub and before getting into a new show, I usually listen to both versions and pick the one that I personally think sounds the best.

For example;

Code Geass English dub = awesome.

Black Butler English dub - fucking TERRIBLE.

When it comes to the Dragon Ball franchise (which I've been a massive fan of since I was like 11), I've always prefered the English dub, especially the Kai version because it's much superior to the the first version. Why? Because there's a limit to how many "kkkkkkkkkkkkkkk" sounds and weird comebat noises I can stand listening to because they hurt my ears. With that being said, you can get used to a lot of things and I am currently watching Dragon Ball Super with subs because the dub is SO far behind and I'm not THAT picky that I'd be willing to wait years for it to catch up. Some of the voices have grown on me though, but I still miss the English voices, it's a matter of preferences really.

17. Spidey7

Spidey7 Newbie

Currency:
    I usually watch anime subbed because some of the dubs are just so bad (Sailor Moon is one example), and sometimes they cut things out. However, there are some good dubs out there (Death Note), and sometimes a dub has nostalgia value (Funimation's dub of Dragon Ball Z), so I usually pick which experience I want within the first few episodes.

18. Hendell

Hendell Newbie

Currency:
    Well since you only started to watch anime back in 2000's and believe there was no dub anime before then i think you should do a bit of digging, I've been watching anime some time before then and i can name a number of great anime's that where dub, Robotech, Rama 1/2 Ninja scroll, Fist of the North start, Akria, Riding bean, that's to name a few and trust me that is just a few, when i am watching something I rather spend time watching whats going on and not having to miss the action cause i am trying to speed read and see whats going on or rewatch something 3 or 4 times, personal I find subtitles distracting from the whats going on, it also takes away from what the animators created, I think if you can read and still catch the action that's great. if you are like me and maybe a lot of others, whome rather enjoy the art, and story go with dub, i do not knock eather or, there are some anime i wish where dub that are not, and then there are some that are badly dub, it really depends how much effort was taken into it. I have even seen bad sub's white letters don't always go good in a white screen/ so to answer your question yes i watch dubbed, why cause i enjoy the art and to watch sub IMO takes away from that art.

19. Meloverse

Meloverse ♔ Snake Princess ♔

Currency:
    ☾ Universe // Byulharang ☆
    Too lazy to read tbh

20. DANK_HUSH

DANK_HUSH Rookie

Currency:
    shinwon's butt plug
    i watch everything with subtitles even if it's in english so i don't ever have the need to watch dubbed. i don't even know why i do it but if i go to the movie theatre now i'm triggered when there are no subtitles.