Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

So what else can BTS do to finally get recognized by Koreans?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by Dreamer95, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Dreamer95

Dreamer95 Star

This video was made last year, and the reactions are mostly "Oh, yeah, I've heard about them, some of my friends like them, girls like them and etc."

Now this one is new and the only thing that changed is acknowledgement. Usual answers: "Oh, yeah, I heard the news, I am really proud of them and etc." And that's it. Like ok BTS, we are proud of you, stay in America and continue spreading hallyu. Bye.

I don't know what else should happen.

istari likes this.
  2. serein

serein Newbie

A national hit maybe? I thought they had a good deal of public recognition

#2 serein, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    jasque and acchan48 like this.
  3. Jack_Pink

Jack_Pink Rookie

i thought they already were... didn't they win awards and shit, doesn't that mean people know you?

4. Sorrybae39

Sorrybae39 Rookie

5. drakan

drakan Notable

sorry, South Korea is EXO and Wanna One territory.

ListenToBadMusic and acchan48 like this.
  6. GoldenIdun

GoldenIdun Notable

Mochi Bot
    I mean Big Hit has hardly ever even tried promoting them to the public using the normal means that most other companies use. But even without it, they're still consecutively measured to be the most valuable/popular idol brand in Korea atm., and probably also the closest group to break through the idol stereotypes and simply be considered an artist by the GP.
    The normal public appealing strategies I'm talking about is e.g. going on variety shows or spreading the members out over multiple entertainment disciplines. One member was featured in a drama sometime in 2016, and I don't remember the last time any of them were on a Korean radio show or variety show. If they really wanna up their public awareness they need more acting, variety appearances and mc-ing. Public awareness doesn't necessarily = recognition tho, that's something 99,9% of idols never achieve, since the public just doesn't look favorably on the idol industry. I know they already have a good deal of public recognition, but I don't know what it would take to gain more tbh.

7. Sorrybae39

Sorrybae39 Rookie

8. Zehila

Zehila Notable

Variety shows but it’s not happening anytime soon looking at how BH is rolling. They had 0 appearances for this comeback. I think the last one was knowing brothers during DNA era.

People are talking about them anyway and I think BSH stated that he’d rather have them known for their music than their variety skills (not their strenght tbh when they aren’t together doing their thing)

AmmaAffa and Blabluegree like this.
  9. SSGDAVESSG

SSGDAVESSG Newbie

the thing is that they wonrt be known for their music in korea if they dont go to varieties, bc ppl wont know who are they first is make them known and then the music acknowledgement

deadleaves and kwonjiyong92 like this.
  10. Zehila

Zehila Notable

Definitely if they want to be known personally by GP but from what I see they are still talked about and are in front when it comes to popularity pools without it.
    I don’t see BH sending them any time soon like other companies do. Their latest appaerance on TV was in a news segment.
    On the other side I wonder how they’ll be treated by tv hosts.

Blabluegree likes this.
  11. Sorrybae39

Sorrybae39 Rookie

12. Guinhggf

Guinhggf Newbie

The way BH promotes them is really different from other idols. Bang PD really wanted people to know BTS as artists and musician, but sometimes their strategies took really a long way for public to grab their attention for them. From that video, we can see that different people recognize them with their different music means that they have a lot hit song but one things they missed is nation hit. So, from my perspective, let's wait and see what will happen to them with this BH strategy in few years whether worth it or not.

AmmaAffa and Zehila like this.
  13. WhiteWadeWilson

Neverland/Blink/Fromily/EXO-L/VIP/Blackjack/Melody
    Here's thr thing, Kpop in Korea is like music for teens, not so much for working age to older ones, my friend is a guy and korean around 29 yrs old, he said him and his friends didn't usually hear Kpop for their everyday music, I even know better than him about BTS, he only knew BTS is Bangtan and they are popular around teens, that's it

So unless they are.making club music that will be played around the world nightclubs... It will stay the same as of right now imo

moonlight32 and sl784 like this.
  14. annoyed

annoyed Notable

Exo is mostly known for the negative side of their fans and their 2013 song. If they really better appreciated you’d see them having better results on the platforms that the gp uses

15. MOEBIUS

MOEBIUS Public Figure

More control over korean media.

annoyed likes this.
  16. RedVelvendetta

Every group has a negative side of their fans, including BTS.

I can see the argument for why Exo/Wanna One are at the top in Korea at the moment. But I don't know enough about BTS's success & popularity in Korea to really know.

17. annoyed

annoyed Notable

Yes every group has a negative attention to their fans in SK but them are on another level, SM boy group fans has always had that and it’s starting with NCT too before they can even blow up.

BTS korean popularity is that they’re the third BG after BB and ikon to get a PAK(70 hours) the first million seller in Korea(Gaon and Hanteo) without combined language albums and repackage. BS&T being the longest charting idol song on Melon breaking a 10 years old reoord set by BigBang and soon Spring Day might snatch that record from BS&T. Well their longevity on the charts should tell u enough itself.

AmmaAffa, Vivi1388 and mpfc like this.
  18. Plushieless

Plushieless Public Figure

Kpop is mostly a niche for teens and young adults, some even name it "idol music". BTS still didn't break through the idol barrier, nor do they have a hit huge enough. But tbh, at least people know their name and acknowledges their achievements.

19. qW12

qW12 Rookie

it's really note no one but fans listen to idol music. The GP does not care about any idol group. But at least BTS is getting known for some of their accomplishments. And some might buy their albums because of the bandwagon. Like the guy said in that video his father even bought their album because he heard they are popular.

20. JuicyDetails

JuicyDetails Trainee

First, I really dont understand why people think kpop is something HUGE in Korea when its not. Only ifans think that. Kpop is not as popular there and people need to understand that foremost. Its only a niche. Thats for every artist.

Still BTS is a known name and people have been seeing their achievements lately based on their tv appearances in the past month. Its not like you say BTS and people are like who?

AmmaAffa, Blabluegree and Zehila like this.