Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

So the difference between idols who write their own music and don't

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by Sohee, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Sohee

Sohee Public Figure

I've seen a lot of disagreements on this, and people seem to think that writing songs doesn't really require a talent but I think it's really the opposite, I think it's pretty simple and straightforward if we say that

An idol who's writing their own songs is an artist.

An idol who performs songs written for them it's just an idol.

Now i'm not saying it's a reason to down look on the people who don't write their own music but writing their own songs and performing them clearly gives them the advantage of being called mutli talented, writing songs is a talent and it requires them being skilled a it, also not saying that someone with non-sense lyrics could be in this but there's a few examples in the industry.

I fully agree to what Jackson said, he's just an idol who's perfoming the lyrics written to him - even tough he's voice is really suiting rap.

Wonder Girls, Hyuna & Soyeon personally I find they're really talented, and I'd call them individually artists

Wonder Girls, Yenny & other members always participated in writing songs, b-sides sometimes not on their own however they do participate in writing the songs, and their written songs grow on me stronger then the title tracks mostly as well.

Hyuna is playing part in making her videos, concept & songs she's co-writing songs for other group in cube as well sometimes so for me she's also a truly artist in k-pop

Soyeon is a rising star, ever since PD101 you could tell her potential, - she's writing great songs & lyrics as well so another artist in my opinion

these are just the examples I used, I know there's plenty more idols who write their own great bops or even co-write songs for other groups like BEG's Jea, and I personally feel like they show more dedication and appreciation towards their fans with the extra effort they put into writing their own songs rather then just performing what they're being given

2. vividpink

vividpink Rookie

sometimes it's just opportunity/luck. some companies will not allow idols to participate in writing/producing or do not give them the freedom to.

i don't think it necessarily makes someone an artist vs. an idol if they write their own lyrics because an idol can interpret someone else's lyrics beautifully and make you feel the music just as well as if they had written it themselves. now that may be rare cases, but it does happen.

the only thing it really does for me is gives me a window into my bias' thoughts and emotions. and when they are explaining the song i know they are explaining their song so there is a personal connection there. and it interests me more to try to figure out what they were thinking or feeling during that time period.

anyway these are my thoughts and all respect to the op

3. Yoohyeon

Yoohyeon Rookie

✰彡

crowboy Trendsetter

!@@
    personally i feel like idols who can be artists without writing. composing or producing their own music

imo it comes down to the performance. you're still an artist if you're singing the lyrics someone else wrote but in your own style, and it holds true with dancing too; dancing to choreography that someone has already made... you still have your own flair. you're still creating to some extent or at the very least adapting something which has already been created

5. InfiresRedAngel

InfiresRedAngel Notable

Theorist, Activist
    I agree.... I'm really proud of Soyeon for having worked so hard on Hann- I have a feeling she's gonna compose even better songs in the future and is gonna take G-IDLE places. I feel like I just end up giving artists more respect than idols in general... probably why BTS and Mamamoo are my ults lmao because they write their own stuff.

astraeapop and Sohee like this.
  6. lighterxx

lighterxx Married to : @twentyonejongdae

Full-Time Carat with low sense of humour
    in somewhere writing 10th SVT thread of the day
    While I agree, its also a form of art to be able to perform them perfectly. Creative process do not end with just composing.

and yes thats me saying it, a seventeen self compose enthusiast lol

brnagh, yeunwoos, Kaikat and 2 others like this.
  7. ladgerda

ladgerda Trainee

To me it's just marketing. What do you want to sell, music or image? An artist creates and an idol interprets, all artists are idols but not all idols are artists but they are still in the same boat. Also art comes in many ways not just by writing songs, what about dancers? Are they not artists? What about mindblowing main vocals? They sure make art as well.

brnagh, LifesGood16 and msdalbo like this.
  8. drakan

drakan Notable

idols are marketed torwards fandoms, artists aren't. If you're in a group, you're an idol.

yeunwoos likes this.
  9. skinnny_legendGD

No.1 chuu stan
    You are an idol nonetheless. Just a more creative one.

10. Yabie

Yabie Icon

-i would call artists dancers who choreograph their own songs
    not really those who just dance becuase everyone who has a sense for beat can learn how to dance, but not everyone can freestyle or choreograph.

-i also don't find singers artists if they just sing songs given to them with literally 0 participation in it. i call them performers or just singers.

-rappers i won't even call rappers if they don't write their own lyrics. cuz rap culture is built on lyrics and self expression.

-someone who covers piano songs i won't call a pianist,but a person who can play a piano. However, those people who can make their own tune or re-arrange covered songs i will call pianists.
    i know people might disagree but thats my opinion on art in music.

being labelled as idol is just a name, you can be all of the above and be an idol, or you can be none.
    i gotta say that i prefer idols who put their own intake in music production.

11. Rand_Al_Thor

Rand_Al_Thor Trendsetter

your argument is lacking.
    The list of artists who have never done a thing but preform the song is LONG and distinguished.
    Many stand up or sit down soloist.(Elvis Areatha ect) , in theater and opera very few are involved.
    Your claim would say they are not artists which is untrue.
    Song writer are songwriters they are not better musicians or people. They write songs whoopi.
    the other roles are just that other roles.

kyutiemir22 and astraeapop like this.
  12. monke

monke Rookie

are there really people who think that? of course writing songs is a talent, not everyone can do that.
    hence, i won't expect all idols to write their own stuff, but i do put more respect those who do just because i know it's no easy feat.
    and it does give them advantage because they put more credibility in what they're performing, makes me somewhat feel i have an opening into their minds and make me feel closer to them.

13. qW12

qW12 Rookie

I think its more then writing just songs. You could write and still suck. But it seems more important to idols because the way they are viewed not only in Korea but the US too. One of the first things with BTS when they came to US is do they write their own music or is it factory manufactured and one of the marketing points is they write about songs with more meaning that's what makes them stand out from the rest. Now there are other groups who do the same but no one knows those groups in the US so BTS kinda got that reputation.

It is especially true for rappers more then singers. Idol rappers are viewed in a very negative light, its a concept their company told them to do its not real hip hop most idol rappers know nothing of the history or culture of hip hop.

I remember Suga said he hated idols before when he was young and listening to hip hop. In AHL him and V were talking and he said some see us as hip hop idols but others see them as project idols and that lead him to do a lot of thinking.

"I have a lot of thoughts do i have to do the music i like to do or the music they tell me to do"- Suga

"I think a person who writes about his/her own story is someone who does real music"-Suga

RM also stated in one of the old log videos about wanting to make music where the lyrics make people think.

14. SunnySun

SunnySun Newbie

I've seen a lot of disagreements on this, and people seem to think that writing songs doesn't really require a talent but I think it's really the opposite, I think it's pretty simple and straightforward if we say that

literally what? how does writing and composing a song doesn't require talent? Is not like everybody can do it

15. Kaikat

Kaikat Married to : @RainbowMonster

Anyone who practises art and is good at it is called an artist... Those who make their own music have special positions for them called lyricists, composers and producers. Lets not mix things up...

16. ladgerda

ladgerda Trainee

Indeed I disagree but that's your opinion so go ahead with it.

There's many people that write songs and they suck at it and there's many choreographers stuck in bad routines. They might be (bad) artists but they don't create art (by definition) to me. Delivering art is just as much as important as creating it or that's how I see it

17. ListenToBadMusic

ListenToBadMusic Public Figure

You're still an idol even if you write your own music. You're in a group, producing pop songs and doing the required idol activities.

Not to say that idol aren't artsits, in a way they are. Just more visual ones.

Writing and producing is never a bad thing. It's not an easy talent and should be praised. That doesn't mean everything written/produced by an idol is good though. Producers exist for a reason, even in other music markets many stars don't write their own songs or produce. Noone really judges them as hard.

selectivelysocia likes this.
  18. yeunwoos

yeunwoos Newbie

#STREAMHiHigh
    just to add that soyeon also composes and arranges songs from time-to-time. :)

i agree with whoever said... it depends how you perform. if you add your own flair to the music and dances created for you by somebody else, i think you can then be called an artist. artist is a big word for that, sure, but they're certainly innovative individuals if you can distinctively stand out amongst your group.

19. GoodMusic

GoodMusic Newbie

You what I don't understand? One person in the group writes a song- be it bad or not- and all of a sudden, everybody in the group is labelled an artist.
    If we're going by OP's opinion then the only artist in G-IDLE is that girl that writes for them. Everybody else in the group is an idol. The same can be applied for every single group that does not have everyone in the group writing lyrics.
    People seems to forget that there's levels to song writing. There are some who just wrote the lyrics and some who compose and write the lyrics. Does that make one more talented than the other or is it not just a matter of what you're good at?

On top of this, why do celebs outside of kpop that don't write their own shit get a free pass to being called an "Artist" but when it's a kpop celebrity, they're confined in the box of being just an "idol" :whatr:

EXTRA: Some idols choreograph their group's dance and yet they are labelled as "idols" (in terms of OP's opinion) just because they don't get involved in writing songs. Why is that?

Plushieless likes this.
  20. Akpopstar

Akpopstar Newbie

But these idols can't decide whether they can write/compose their own song or not no? It does not mean idols that do not produce their own songs are not giving the extra effort because it could be their lyrics are either rejected or their company forbids it. It happens because some company are afraid people might not like the song and the group fame will drop..

I do have respect for idols that compose their own song as well, its good to be multi talented but some company are using this to market their idol so fans will buy the product to support their group which is what I don't really like. When that happen the idol will just put out a crappy song but the fans will praise it like its a gift from heaven.. There are now so many idol self design merchandise, album and songs that the company are making huge profit off so yeah...

At the end of the day, they are all idols. There are so many artist in this world that do not compose their own music so what are they?

#20 Akpopstar, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018