Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

So now it is kinda clear why Nam Taehyun left Winner

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by jagerjack, May 19, 2017.

1. jagerjack

jagerjack Super Rookie

People always rush to blame companies. But I actually see now, that YG acted like a gentleman. He covered Taehyun even though he could destroy him.

Just go through songs that Winner produced. You will clearly notice something is wrong with Sentimental. It is out of the line. It is indie, rock call it whatever you want, but it is not hip hop or pop. And guess who is the producer of the song? Nam Taehyun.

When Taehyun left, it was told that he has ilness, he doesn't want to be a singer or whatever. But after a few month he is debuting with band - and SHOCK! it is a rock band.

So only idiots can't see what's happening. Taehyun had creative disagreements with rest of the team. And YG did everything to not harm his reputation and let him pursue his dream. I think no one could act better.

2. Seoulmama

Seoulmama Artist

He's been having mental heath issues since he was a trainee so I think it's a combination of things; not being able to make the music he wanted, not being able to take time off when he needed, and taking time to see help. He's in control of his music and band now so I think he'll be in a better place. A lot of artists leave popular bands to make a different style of music. Like Zayn wanted to make more R&B music and he sounds great in that genre.

3. Munch_kin

Munch_kin Entertainer

Well, we'll never know the truth unless the concerned parties open up about it.
    And I honestly don't believe YG is to be blamed

4. ciknami_manis

ciknami_manis Artist

Never heard such things when he left. All the things ygent said about his departure was because his health condition. Plus, Taehyun make it clear about his desire with singing and composing. He posted, 'he just want to sing' on his ig during hiatus, plus he uploaded lots of new song too during hiatus. There's no such a thing he don't want to be a Singer etc.

tgantt94, Envyy, yoonbread and 2 others like this.
  5. Briellejea

Briellejea Rookie

I'm not blaming YG but aren't they known as the company that lets their artist be creative. Even Winner said they had a lot of songs completed, but were told no.

Its seems like instead of it being a creative difference, it was more of a no and Winner was left to do nothing. Taehyun just got fed up.

Plus you cant tell me YG wasnt throwing shade with this 4 emphasized comeback, and their music had nothing to do with 4.

6. propanda

propanda Moderator
    Staff Member

During WIN, Team A meaning Winner was pretty much poprock group, lot of stuff they did had rock feel. Kang Seungyoon even had solo debut with rock song. So unless Taehyun really wanted to be in band instead of boy group, I don't think rock as genre was the problem.

Tbh they should have just been poprock group.

7. _CLeO

_CLeO Star

That's so true lmao.

yoonbread, Exbbsy12 and qu33n like this.
  8. EvilAppa

EvilAppa Artist

9. mostlydeadinside

I respect your opinion but I disagree with you. I think that yg didn't like taehyun at all so he used mental illness as an excuse to kick him out.
    It was shady that their comeback without taehyun emphasized 4.

raidonstorm, v_anya, Exbbsy12 and 3 others like this.
  10. ripiasuju

ripiasuju Legend

Tbh.

EvilAppa likes this.
  11. Faith_1299

Faith_1299 Super Rookie

I didn't know that Taehyun was the produce for Sentimental. :eek: I'm definitely checking out the band he's going to debut with :p It's one of my favorite songs by Winner. Good luck to him! :D

Melisandre likes this.
  12. katahtattat

what happened was someone who suffers from mental illness was in a situation that made their illness worse. changes were made that obviously seem to be benefiting everyone

shannnnt, v_anya, nic3 and 2 others like this.
  13. ZYXMYG

ZYXMYG Artist

If you think Sentimental was the only indie rock song Winner has created, you are very sorely mistaken about who Winner was or what they were trying to do as a group. From their first album to Sentimental, Winner had songs that could be considered indie none of which were written by Tae: Different? Don't Flirt? Pricked?

I'm not denying that there could have been creative differences, but I'm really sick of this idea that NamTae, like, controlled Winner with an iron fist when there's literally no evidence for that. He was clearly given directive control for exit: e, but even then he created three out of 5 songs, only two of which were group tracks, but don't forget that YG himself approved each and every single song.

When Taehyun left YGent was the one who mentioned his mental illness, never Taehyun. But tell me something. Do you know what his mental illness is? Do you know how debilitating (or otherwise) it is? How it affects his life? If or how he gets treatment for it? No. You don't. I don't either and I (a very obvs. dedicated Taehyun stan) don't recall a moment in his career where he has spoken out about his mental illness, the fact that I even know about it is because the company has talked about it. He's a very private person, I can only recall one single interview where he even talked about his disability, so I don't know where people get this idea that he's using his mental illness as a crutch for his problems.

The thing that really pisses me off about this whole thing is that people feel the need to take up his mental illness as proof that he's difficult to deal with or that it stopped him from working - when clearly, Taehyun has shown that not only could he be creative, but that also he's an efficient and skilled businessman. You're working from assumptions made on statements that leave facts half-answered. You ought to be very careful with the way you characterise mental illness, especially when you only have information coming from a mega-corporation that was trying its utmost to control damages.

14. helpmehelpme

helpmehelpme Trainee

Why is it that whenever their is a shakeup in a group people try to revise their history. It's not necessary.

Sentimental is pop rock. It sits nicely in their discography next to something like Different (which should have been their title track). They've never been a hip-hop group, that's partly why they struggled during the competition, and, if you look at old comments, many fans thought they were mistreated because they didn't fit into that part of the company's image.

As mentioned, Taehyun has never discussed his mental health and no one has ever said that he didn't want to sing (in fact, he said the exact opposite). There are people who believe it was made up because he wanted to leave and others who believe it's true, based on a number of observations made before the announcement, and that he chose to leave rather than be left in limbo along with the group. And many of these people ignore the nuances of mental health and should avoid speaking on it altogether.

Aside from the fact that large corporations are trash, people were quick to blame YG because the first statement made it seem as though Taehyun was being scapegoated by the company (you can see these reactions in the original posts). From what I read, it was speculated that music had been chosen and a possible MV shot, but that statement put the entire group (a fact that's often forgotten) on hiatus for his health. Tensions were high. That, the shadiness of the 4 promotion, among a host of other things has made people believe that something went down and, like you, they've chosen sides because apparently it's impossible to move on without having someone to blame and curse at. In reality, sometimes things simply don't work out.

And yeah, the idea that a rookie, two years into his career was controlling the group (and basically YG with the way some people are talking) is ridiculous and people need to drop it. I also don't believe that he was mistreated as he got a lot of opportunities.

15. ZYXMYG

ZYXMYG Artist

Don't Flirt is very indie actually ... just because it's cute doesn't mean it's not got that soft rock feel. FTisland ... I don't know much about them tbh ... but they're a pop rock band are they not? It doesn't matter anyway, my point was that Taehyun was not the only member of Winner who dabbled in genres other than pop or hip hop.

Not once did I say YG never gave Taehyun opportunities. I was talking about how YGent decided it was their place to air Taehyun's privacy in a bid to save face, that has nothing to do with how Taehyun worked under them, but rather how badly (in my humble opinion) they handled his departure.

If Taehyun did have different ambitions for Winner compared to the members, that's not a crime. Remember that he went into the company when he was very young. What 18 year old Taehyun wanted compared to 22 year old Taehyun can be very different things, and it doesn't make him fake or difficult if it is. Of course his band is truer to what he wants now ... his creative outlet is not regulated by YG. Again, that doesn't make the work he did under YG any less 'real' or 'honest', YG simply chose the songs that fit with what he wanted. That's not limited to YGent, or kpop companies.

Taehyun talking about misbehaving in school does not equal him talking about his mental illness. We don't know what it is, so we should refrain from speculation. Literally all Taehyun stans are asking is that people don't use his mental illness as a scapegoat for the problems in management that Winner had. Taehyun not being as boisterous or as touchy-feely as the other members of Winner doesn't mean that he's difficult to work with or that he hates them (as I have seen many people claim). He's stubborn and has a quick temper yes, but Minho has the same personality traits, and so does Hoonie to a certain extent, and they're never hounded about it.

Taehyun is an adult, his mother doesn't have any legal obligation to be his counsel and certainly not any to decide how and why YG entertainment makes their statements. Even if they did, as you suggest, obtain permission from his mother (rather than him) to talk about his mental illness it is still grossly disrespectful. Taehyun's decision to talk about his mental illness belongs to him alone.

#15 ZYXMYG, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
  16. southclubstan

Well the whole winner produces really different music because they have to make Jinwoo listen to a song and he has to approve it because he has a common taste in music.

WHY_SO_SERIOUS17 likes this.
  17. helpmehelpme

helpmehelpme Trainee

Neither Different or Sentimental are indie, they are pop rock. Don't Flirt shouldn't be included in this conversation (I do believe there were creative differences involved, among other things).

From what I remember, Taehyun has spoken about being moody, sensitive, temperamental, and sometimes having difficulty with people/making people uncomfortable because of his awkwardness back in school. The boys said he was taciturn, had issues considering others, and was not maknae-like, but that he showed improvements (none of these things has ever been framed as mental illness, but rather personality, so let's not make that jump now). I hope that you are not mixing the rest with unsubstantiated Internet rumors to add credibility. There's enough info for you to base your opinion on without doing that.

#17 helpmehelpme, May 20, 2017
  18. VIPARMYINSPIRITE

VIPARMYINSPIRITE Super Rookie

Taehyun's personality was definitely a little different compared to the others so that could've been a factor too. Just wondering what happened during that period considering they already recorded new songs to release yet they got put off.

Regardless, everyone is happy now so we should just move on just like they did

Mai_Turn and FranF45 like this.
  19. helpmehelpme

helpmehelpme Trainee

IA with this

ZYXMYG likes this.
  20. FranF45

FranF45 Entertainer

Do you know when did they say that?? Just out of curiosity :dancer:

#20 FranF45, May 20, 2017