Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

SM really lucked out debuting DBSK at the right time and right place ($$$)

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by Teshubs_Irene, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Teshubs_Irene

The first wave of Hallyu hits Japan in the early 2000s. Millions of Japanese girls and young women are in a craze over it. Japanese men are confounded, it took them a while to realize how explosive the popularity of Korean male celebrities was with women. The Japanese government even had to intervene and put an official end to Hallyu in Japan before a demographic disaster occurred.

Between the beginning and end of the wave was DBSK. And after they became TVXQ those millions of Japanese females who fell for Korean idols now had jobs and a lot of money to spare. No dating Japanese men, no marriage, no kids. All the disposable income going to indulge themselves in reliving a happy moment in their youth. And as the peddlers of this SM made bank.

2. Yabie

Yabie Icon

they didn't luck out.

DBSK spent years and years in Japan.
    they've earned with hard work their popularity there

yabuyabu, JunsuK and Lumna like this.
  3. Teshubs_Irene

Lucked out because they went in at the right time when Hallyu was at fever pitch (in Japan). Before or after, they wouldn’t be making as much for SM as they are now.

Purplelavender97 and MOEBIUS like this.
  4. Yabie

Yabie Icon

They would imo. their japanese discography is amazing
    but if that makes you feel better, sure they lucked out.

Sayuuu_29 likes this.
  5. Teshubs_Irene

Amazing or not, you need hype/buzz to be a huge seller. It’s like how grunge or rap used to sell poorly, even if they had great music before, until the masses caught on to the hype

MOEBIUS likes this.
  6. Yabie

Yabie Icon

yeah okay. and whats the point really of that thread?
    it doesn't really minimalize the success of DBSK there in any way. other companies could have done the same with their boygroups

7. Anne_chan

Anne_chan Trainee

8. egw

egw Newbie

No, DBSK were a big part of the reason why kpop became big there, it wasn't them 'lucking out'.
    They had to start like a Japanese group would, without many fans at all and build awareness and popularity. It's not like now when groups debut and can find it easier to get successful as kpop is already known there.

JunsuK likes this.
  9. Purplelavender97

lol nobody is dismissing that. Tvxq aren't called legends for nothing. They pioneered the practise of kpop groups. But to hit big, any group would need a little bit luck and the public attention.
    Bb had luck, bts had luck, every group would have to be lucky at some point to hit big.

10. Yabie

Yabie Icon

yeah ofc. but that wasn't the point of this thread, have u even read the OP lmao

11. Purplelavender97

yeah I did. I thought she was talking about luck when she meant right place and right time.

12. Yabie

Yabie Icon

i didn't read it that way. DBSK wasn't the only kpop group at that time who was trying to push into japanese market
    but they're the only group who got that big of a fanbase there atm.
    sure , some of it had to do with luck, but SM didn't luck out on them because of japanese women being desperate (????). they kinda spent alot of efforts to get them where they are right now

Purplelavender97 likes this.
  13. twentyfivedollar

I'm sorry I'm confused I have the idea that DBSK is TVXQ I think but can someone explain to me how the names came to be?

JunsuK likes this.
  14. Purplelavender97

do you think boa was also a factor that favoured for sm? she debuted in japan first, right?

15. RWBYWeiss

RWBYWeiss Newbie

As much as I like DBSK, people tend to forget that BoA also paved the way. Shes one of the top female korean solo artist to debut at an early age and still keeping herself consistent in japan. Honestly without BoA... DBSK and other artist wouldn't have made their way in Japan.

in my opinion SM got lucky with both DBSK and BoA.

16. Yabie

Yabie Icon

i don't know if japanese stanned based on company back in the days. BoA got popular in 2003. there didn't she? DBSK started getting attention in Japan, ugh when was it 2008.? i think if it was directly correlated to BoA's success, they would have been sucessfull immediatelly after debut.

#16 Yabie, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  17. jojomomo

jojomomo Rookie

You can call it "lucked out", or you can call it "made the right decision at the right time and working their asses off".

18. egw

egw Newbie

All the names translate roughly to Rising Gods of The East
    TVXQ = Tong Vfang Xien Qi (Chinese) 東方神起
    DBSK = Dong Bang Shin Ki (Korean) 동방신기
    Tohoshinki = Japanese 東方神起
    Some people refer to OT5 as DBSK and OT2 as TVXQ as TVXQ is pushed more now by SM, even though it's the Chinese name.

asuka16 and twentyfivedollar like this.
  19. twentyfivedollar

thankyou this was soooo helpful!

egw likes this.
  20. Arashiexque

Arashiexque Trainee

It would have been "luck" if TVXQ had initially done well from the beginning. But they started from the bottom ground, selling mere 3,000 copies for their first single unlike BoA who started surprisingly well from the very beginning due to the trend at the time being young female soloist.

And no, I wouldn't say BoA paved a way for TVXQ, because TVXQ were at slump from 2005 up until late 2007 for 3 years. Not the same case as SNSD or KARA who sold like hotcakes right after their debut. In fact, none of the groups benefitted from BoA doing well in Japan (SS501, Se7en, Shinhwa, etc). TVXQ made it up by themselves, and even with Johnny cockblock, they still made it to the top.