SHOULD PUBLIC COLLEGES BE FREE ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Saitama, Mar 17, 2016.

?

Should colleges be free ?

1. Yes make mexico pay for it

6.7%
  2. Yes

46.7%
  3. To a certain extent

33.3%
  4. No

13.3%
  1. doe_eye

doe_eye Rookie

Currency:
    sorry to say that i don't understand the struggle here :( Education is free if you dont mind learning it in open space with minimum facilities. You only need to pay more for "comfort" :)

you pay even more for fancy university to boost your resume

kittensmiles likes this.
  2. findtheakarun

findtheakarun Super Rookie

Currency:
    Professional Sassybish
    In countries where the economy can handle it, yes. Otherwise, I don't think we should be talking about making things free when we're in a fucking mountain of debt. Doesn't really make much sense.

But in countries where it's not free, I think less of a huge emphasis should be put on the importance of college. Kind of bullshit when you have all the knowledge to do a job and you're turned down because you couldn't afford a degree, and then you're stuck in a cycle of poverty.

mkusa likes this.
  3. mkusa

mkusa Public Figure

Currency:
    ahhhh.....next morning and back here with the good people. Glad I don't have to go to school today...free or not. :)

Guess I'll go earn some money so the govt. can take it to give to some uni admins. Maybe put a new Keurig in everyone's private office. I wonder if they'll get the new Kold drink maker?

As a parting comment before going off to the mines this morning...think about the motivation of the uni admins. 'More student access to free money, more free money to the school and more money in my pocket.' It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that school admins are huge backers (and the architects) of free education money. The reason is definitely not improving education, or providing more/better educated people.

#23 mkusa, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  4. propanda

propanda Very Important Panda

Currency:
    There is no college in my country, still quite confused what it's supposed to be, but education is free where I'm from as long as you get through entrance exam. You have to pay for books, other possible material and school food (university only), but you get some student allowance and if you need student loan from goverment (usually people need this for housing and food).

5. mocochang

mocochang Celebrity

Currency:
    EXILE TRIBE trash ♥
    @propanda The term is used differently in different countries I suppose, but college is generally the undergraduate courses, that can be either from a university (that has both undergraduate and graduate courses) or an institution focused on undergraduate courses only (in other words, just college). (someone please correct me if I'm wrong about how it is in the US)
    So if your country has universities, it has college, just maybe you don't use that name differentiation (we call it differently here where I'm from as well).

6. mkusa

mkusa Public Figure

Currency:
    Ah...now here's where I have a real bone to pick with the current state of the 'dream' of higher education.....a bit different take than what you mention......but still related to the BS of a degree. Now, this may be just a Western view, so ignore this if it doesn't apply in your country (speaking to the crowd).

When I was in HS, and for a few generations before, it was ingrained in us that to get the good jobs, and be successful, you had to have a college degree. I still think that is going on fairly heavily today. Result? The trade schools, and vocational training, that used to be core to the HS curriculum are now virtually gone. They've been shut down. They don't teach welding, auto repair, plumbing, carpentry, bookkeeping, or many other great trades in HS anymore.....because, you know.....you MUST go to college to get the good jobs.

Well, that's BS. Many very successful people don't have a college degree. Many tradespeople have a very comfortable lifestyle. You DO NOT have to go to college to be successful. However, the number of people choosing a good trade in HS is dwindling. Instead, they buy into the BS that you 'have' to get that college degree, and don't start out early developing their best skills. As a result....here comes the 'free' student loans.....to allow someone to get that degree in 'Midwestern Auto Tire Recapping' (tic). Students get worthless degrees that won't put food on the table and are dying with debt.

Even a top college degree today in the West can be pretty sketchy. The marketplace for jobs is now global. You are competing with equally (or higher) educated people (China, Korea) that will do the same job for 20% of what you expect to be paid in your country, because their cost of living is less. The global collapse of 2008 nailed that coffin shut, and many of my friends that graduated in the last few years are in trouble. Now students in the west, who have huge bills to pay, and a higher cost of living, are competing globally with those that can get by on much less. I am lucky to be where I am.

That college degree today isn't what it used to be. Take a really close look at other alternatives, and develop the skills you are good at early. Everyone is really good at something.

I often wish I had just taken up hog farming. :)

#26 mkusa, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    findtheakarun likes this.
  7. propanda

Currency:
    @mocochang There is universities yes, but there is no place between high school (or upper secondary school that would be correct term here) and university. Nor there is place between vocational school and university of applied sciences for those that chose that instead of high school. But huh I guess I could say that I'm college now then if we went with those terms.

8. mocochang

mocochang Celebrity

Currency:
    EXILE TRIBE trash ♥
    @propanda undergraduate courses (or college) are pretty much those you take in the university first, after you're out of school, while a graduate course is something like masters or doctoral degrees.
    It also took me a while to get used to those terms, here where I'm from we use "graduate" for what's considered undergraduate internationally and then we have something called "post-graduation" and masters and doctoral for what's considered graduate internationally. It gets quite confusing sometimes...

9. kurumiluff

kurumiluff Trainee

Currency:
    If you can work the system you can already get paid to go to school basically

10. kittensmiles

kittensmiles Newbie

Currency:
    Nothing is free. Someone, somewhere, is paying for it. Or is everyone pretending that the professors would all volunteer their time and agree to teach without being paid? And that fairies would make the textbooks?

College isn't *necessary* to get a paying job. There's no reason that other people should have to pay for someone else's goals.

People seem to think that if you call something "free", it just magically becomes free. They don't realize that you just pay for it in different ways.

11. propanda

Currency:
    @kittensmiles I think it's called "social leveling", from those that are well of to those that are less. Kinda like Robin Hood, but by law. Social system that tries to make education, health care etc. available for everyone. I don't find it bad thing, but then again I'm used to that.

Draft saved Draft deleted