Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

Shift in kpop group marketing

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by YouBettaWerk, Jul 17, 2017.

1. YouBettaWerk

YouBettaWerk Super Rookie

Pre survival show:

-Most of the top tier groups belong to the Big 3
    -This is because they control a large chunk of mass media, making advertising their group easier and at a low cost. This = popularity hike.
    -But, this cause lots of burnouts and the nugu effect in which people don't even know the group exist

Post survival show

-Emergence of popular group from 2nd tier & nugu companies
    -This is because the masses have the power to pick who they want to be in the group instead of relying solely on the companies input (i,e Twice, IOI, Monsta X, Wanna One)
    - But higher risk of being one hit wonder due to eventual oversaturation of survival show idol groups

What do you think?

OnehoeforWonho and LongAssRider like this.
  2. GoldenIdun

GoldenIdun Artist

I think this still applies to a large extent, the big companies control the media with their money, established reputation, and hordes of company stans.
    BUT I think you're definitely right about variety/survival shows changing the rules a little, because if there is one thing Koreans love more than anything it's their TV shows, so groups that are hyped and heavily marketed on TV will see a major popularity boost. I wouldn't necessarily say it has to be a survival show, I think any group that becomes variety "darlings" (known by most TV watchers) can boost their popularity and maybe even rival groups from the big3. The current trend with those variety darlings however, is that only 1-2 members of each group gets that exposure, so in many cases the group as a whole only receives a moderate popularity boost... But on survival shows all the members receive that exposure and subsequent public recognition, which then majorly boosts the whole group's popularity!

That's my thoughts at least...

3. BEG4DAWIN

BEG4DAWIN Artist

The big 3 have the money to produce their own TV shows, so if they see it going that way, it is how it will go.

JYP saw this coming and Twice is the result of his genius.

Sel97 likes this.