[Review] BlackPink's solo stages

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by RainingStarlight, Jul 25, 2018.

1. RainingStarlight

Grim Reaper
    So.... on my youtube suggestion page, BlackPink solo performances popped up and I thought I would check them out so I thought why not do a little review, since I've never really heard them perform live before I thought this would be a good chance to see what they're capable of.

These are my opinions, if you disagree feel free to say why. What are your thoughts on there solos? Who do you think did the best?

song: Eye Nose Lips
    original

song: Eyes closed
    original

So right off the bat between the two songs, she was way more nervous in Taeyang's cover. Perhaps it was the first solo for her (not sure which came first) or she couldn't hear herself well. She was off pitch many times through out the song. Which i thought was unusual because I thought Rose has the best sense of pitch out of the group.

For Halsey's cover, I never heard this song before so I had to look it up. It's hard to compare since Rose's ver is acoustic and her own version, while Haley's is a filtered vocal layered pop song. So I compared the stripped ver to Rose's. What I notice, is that Rose falsetto isn't that great (1:16). I'm not sure if she does falsettos often. I preferred this cover over the other. But like the first there are moments where she's still a bit off.

I'm curious if she looks up to Halsey because I can hear similarities in their style of singing.

Overall: 2.5/5 Average

song: Can't take my eyes off you

This was interesting. It was very musical-esque. She seemed very confident during the performance. I love the set, the background was imitating a city vibe, and when she pulled the umbrella the screen showed rain. Compared to Rose's stage where it was focused on her standing on stage delivering a song. However it needs to be said that Jennie's voice needs more work. Though this song doesn't have much range (at least her ver) there is a point where her voice almost completely disappears because she's can't reach the note. It's too low for her. (Can't take my eyes off of --?-- 1:10). So im not sure why they decided to lower the song from the original female key.

Overall: 2.5/5 average

song: sakurairo maukoro by Nakashima Mika
    oiginal

video 1

video 2

I'm not sure Jisoo's voice suited this song. I like the song Yuki no Hana (check it out) by the same singer. I think J-Blink's really appreciated the cover. I'm not sure how good pronunciation is but it sounded pretty good to me. The difference between Jisoo and Rose/Jennie is that she was using an MR to back up on, either that or each video I've watched has horrible quality. But each video i've used so far is from the same channel. So i placed the 2nd video which much better audio. I think it's more clear here that she's using an MR. Look at 1:48 she stops but vocals is still going.She might be lip syncing but im gonna give her the benefit of the doubt and say it's MR. The set is gorgeous. Love the falling floral theme and her dress is pretty.

Overall: 2/5 meh
    the song is too repetitive for my taste.

song: dance mix (Lemon, Faded, Attention)

video 2

It's kinda hard to see her so i placed two videos. Expressions are good as usual. I'm not suprised she's been dancing since very young and she's got the confidence. She pulled it off well and looked like she was having fun. Attention was the best in my opinion. (BlackPink should cover the song and do the dance they did here...)

Overall: 4/5 Good

2. Teudungi21

Teudungi21 Trendsetter

I thought they all did fine as you said some were clearly nervous. My favorite was Jennie, I loved her confidence and thought the performance was interesting and fun to watch

taetaeteddy likes this.
  3. xxkonxx

xxkonxx Celebrity

God I hope not

4. twentyfivedollar

twentyfivedollar Trendsetter

I felt bad for Jennie she wouldn't have done the song if she didn't really like it but the song makes it seem she cant sing it was cringy to watch.

5. pinkster

pinkster Newbie

although i absolutely love blackpink, there is definitely room for improvement!! lisa slayed her solo though!! :yesr:

6. RoseNee

RoseNee Newbie

秘密
    I really really REALLY love Rose's voice i mean, there is something that makes her voice unique, we can recognize her only by her voice :lover1:

7. LifesGood16

LifesGood16 Trainee

Rose was definitely nervous on the first day but on the second day she slayyyeeed like she was much more relaxed and in her element. Jennie's performance was definitely a surprise like I was not expecting anything like that but she came through with the broadway performance.

OMG LALLALALISA MANOBAN her intro killed me before I could watch her performance but so proud but The Real highlight was Jisoo like so proud of her, she picked the perfect song for her voice and it really suited her and showed everyone what she can do.

8. lolita98

lolita98 Rookie

i do think that their cover was not prepared well or prepared in hurry. jisoo singin like the one sing in karaoke not on concert stage (not saying she bad but meh. i love jisoo vocal usually if BP cover song but for this one, nah). i still appreciate them thou for singgin with playing guitar, singin classic song which is 180 degree different from BP song and cover japanese song
    just like you say, i cannot see Lisa clearly but from some scene appear in big screen, her facial is good like usual

9. loveis4evergone

loveis4evergone Super Rookie

Advocating For RM
    when i watched the concert
    first it seemed lit
    second i enjoyed all performances
    but i too noticed rose and jennie both failed to hit various notes and do need some very much needed practice on their vocals, with good training rose/jennie could hit those notes easy because its plain obvious theyre missing most of them not just a few
    these girls already have some potential and have already material to work with but it definitely needs some training but they still owned it in their own way during those lives
    third, lisa killed it

10. cassoulette

cassoulette Public Figure

Promoting Loona
    Lisa is the only blackpink member that I like, now you know why.

Babylisa27 likes this.
  11. kpop123

kpop123 Celebrity

Jennie chose a song that was totally out of her range. She didn't have enough vocal training to pull it off which is why she struggled to hit certain notes and fell flat and off key. I love the fact that she tried to come out of her shell but she could have at least chosen another song that she can pull off like r&b or slow mid range songs.

12. jojomomo

jojomomo Public Figure

I agree with your points. But I give Rose and Jennie lower scores, based on those performances. I'm sure nerves did play a big part and their subsequent performances will probably get better.

Rose's first one was... bad. For me her vocal has always been more style than substance anyway, but her technical issues especially pitch in that performance were major, 1/5. Her second one was better, 3/5.

Like you said, Jennie's version of that song didn't have a wide vocal range. In theory this was a smart easy choice. A bit of broadway is always crowd pleasing and she has the good English pronunciation advantage. But it just turned out very underwhelming with obvious vocal problems. More karaoke than solo concert stage. 2/5.
    I think stage performance has never been Jennie's forte, tbh. She gets a lot of criticism for lack of effort in BP performances, I used to agree that's down to her attitude, but now I'm not so sure. I think it might just be something she's not good at.

I agree that Jisoo's definitely singing with a vocal backtrack. But perhaps it's not a bad thing for her to know her own limitations. The stage effect seemed nice. She looked very pretty. The song itself is a bit safe and boring. Overall, I guess it's a fitting solo stage for the visual member. 2.5/5.

Lisa's the opposite of Jennie when it comes to stage performance. She seems to love it. 4/5 is a fair score. It was good but not quite at wow level. I think they could've designed something more dramatic or surprising.

lurkerrr likes this.
  13. QueenJeonSoyeon

I agree with what you wrote. I also think Lisa did the best.

I expected Jennie to do really good since she's my bias. But that was not the right song for her. Someone mentioned last time that it sounds like half drunk karaoke and I kinda agree with that.

14. Babylisa27

Babylisa27 Newbie

Lisa is the greatest performer in kpop right now. She never disappoints the rest disappointed maybe Jisoo did good but jennie and Rose. Noo nooo

15. Hermes1

Hermes1 Elite

Solo stage rating: (from 1 to 10)

- Jisoo 6
    - Lisa 6
    - Rose 6
    - Jennie 4

I hope for Saitama August 25 / 26 they are prepared better.

I was strictly against expanding comeback performance until Inkigayo July 22.

They should have stopped promo July 15 to have 8 days for preparing solo stages for Arena Tour.

G_S00 likes this.
  16. twentyfivedollar

that is so true especially with the unexpected success of Forever young Yg probably thought it was smart to expand promo. tbh it wouldn't have hurt to put another song n the mini album like sending the girls out to tour with 9 songs mind boggles me.

17. Hermes1

Hermes1 Elite

The performance rating for 'See U Later' Osaka July 24 / 25 was phantastic!

8 of 10 points!!!

First time I saw BP perform this song Live.

I only missed boys as background dancer. :rolleyes:

#17 Hermes1, Jul 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    twentyfivedollar likes this.
  18. Hermes1

Hermes1 Elite

Set List
    Arena Tour 2018
    Setlist
    SHARE SETLIST

1. Intro
    2. DDU-DU DDU-DU
      Play Video
    3. Forever Young
      Play Video
    4. Whistle
      (Acoustic Version)
      Play Video
    5. STAY
      (Japanese Version)
      Play Video
    6. Intermission
    7. Can't Take My Eyes Off You
      (Frankie Valli cover) (Jennie Solo)
      Play Video
    8. Eyes Closed
      (Halsey cover) (Rosé Solo)
      Play Video
    9. Eyes Nose Lips
      (GD X TAEYANG cover) (Rosé Solo)
      Play Video
    10. Lemon / Faded / Attention
      (Lisa Solo)
      Play Video
    11. sakurairomaukoro
      (Jisoo Solo)
      Play Video
    12. Intermission
      (Forever Young)
    13. Yoncé
      (Beyoncé cover)
      Play Video
    14. So Hot
      (Wonder Girls cover) (THEBLACKLABEL Remix)
      Play Video
    15. See U Later
      Play Video
    16. Really
      Play Video
    17. Intermission
      (Hit Song Medley)
    18. BOOMBAYAH
      (Japanese Version)
      Play Video
    19. Playing with Fire
      (Japanese Version)
      Play Video
    20. AS IF IT'S YOUR LAST
      (Japanese Version)
      Play Video
    21. Encore:
    22. Whistle
      (Japanese Version)
      Play Video
    23. DDU-DU DDU-DU
      Play Video
    24. Outro

19. twentyfivedollar

Wow i love this they really made it work! IM IN Love WITH THERE SO HOT REMIX.

20. zylan

zylan Super Rookie

Not great, but all good performances.