Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

Red Velvet was never meant to be SM's flagship girl group.

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by mparserz, Jul 16, 2018.

1. mparserz

mparserz Artist

I always see threads that criticize Red Velvet for only being a TOP 3 girl group. Seriously? Yeah, I get it, they're from SM. But here's the thing people have to realize, Red Velvet, by all accounts, has exceeded SM's expectations. How so? Red Velvet was never meant to be SM's flagship girl group. They just happen to be SM's only consistently active girl group at the moment with SNSD taking a long hiatus, and F(x) being in limbo.

Red Velvet will never do the songs and concepts that you basically see in main groups do. It's clear that SM looks at Red Velvet as their experimental girl group, like they did with F(x). That's the reason Red Velvet does the more eccentric concepts and genres that you wouldn't see SNSD do. So the fact that Red Velvet, pretty much SM's sub project, is doing as well as they are is amazing.

Basically, Red Velvet was not SM's attempt at competing with the flagship girl groups from other agencies. Red Velvet just happened to do better than they imagined they would.

I think that SM will probably debut their new girl group in the near future, but they also feel no rush considering how well Red Velvet is doing.

2. Sooyoungster34

stalker of Snsd
    I think many people forget this

that when JYP and YG debuted Twice and BP they bet all their chances on them

While Red velvet was just a way to debut a new group to add a new blood to SM ent and forget the depart of EXO-M and the depart of Sulli.
    The experimental group in SM are never make to be sucessful but if they are it's a plus for them.
    it's just a way to try different genre for them without having any impact on their big group

3. mparserz

mparserz Artist

Exactly. Red Velvet was supposed to be the group that helped to bridge SM's transition from SNSD to their eventual flagship group. But, like I said, due to Red Velvet's success, I think SM pretty much was afforded the luxury of waiting instead of panicking to debut a new girl group.

4. Byun_Aeri

Byun_Aeri Legend

SM actually stopped trying to appeal to the GP since long time ago
    Their last attempt was SNSD lmao
    Shinee , f(x) , EXO , Red Velvet , NCT
    All of them do experimental stuff .. they never go to the easy likable trend ..

5. Lulu_Awoo

Lulu_Awoo Rookie

Your Friendly Neighborhood Hype Woman
    You're not wrong about RV being an experimental group, but then does that mean White Fox will be the next SNSD? Would they kill RV when White Fox comes around?

6. New_ONCE

New_ONCE Artist

Replaying Twice and Red Velvet's songs. ^^
    Finally a thread giving my dear revelies some love. <3

7. RedueBelbet

RedueBelbet Artist

Apache helicopter
    They were never SM’s flagship girl group
    And yet they out here with so many achievements and lots of acclaim.

It’s their experimental side that really got me into them, when I heard that Dumb Dumb pre chorus, I knew I was in for a treat lol

8. Sooyoungster34

stalker of Snsd
    Yes plus like i said F(x) is almost disbanded and they couldn't give them some songs like rookie who don't fit the vibe of F(x) and they will not try to give an experimental song to SNSD because people will criticize them etc...
    So they needeed new laboratory rats and it's Red velvet.

But just to think this it's amazing with just their "laboratory rats " SM have the best vocalist of the Big3 and the better visual
    Indeed SM is strong !!!

Chiyana, legendjekki and mparserz like this.
  9. mparserz

mparserz Artist

It just means that Red Velvet will continue doing what they do while SM finally gives White Fox the NEXT SNSD treatment.

10. Sooyoungster34

stalker of Snsd
    No like i said in a previous thread They will not kill RV
    they kill F(x) because SNSD was still strong and they were not a big competition sure JYP debuted Miss a but they were never feel like a competition to F(x)

While with RV SM in a direct competition with YG and JYP
    while "WHite fox " is supposed to compete against the GG of SOmi and the next GG of YG or Teddy

nellee, ThisGuy, Chiyana and 4 others like this.
  11. Lulu_Awoo

Lulu_Awoo Rookie

Your Friendly Neighborhood Hype Woman
    Ahh makes sense~ I just got a little lost

12. spicyaghase

spicyaghase Artist

full-time winwin stan
    Finally, someone understands.
    The fact that they are even considered Top 3 with their concepts and sound is absolutely amazing.

13. Teudungi21

Teudungi21 Artist

Teacher
    How is red velvet experimental? I mean I love them but they aren't developing some kind of new music or new style, their songs are pretty part and parcel of the genres that they are meant to reside in. Which they do well. But to say that they themselves are experimental is absurd. Also I feel people underestimate Red Velvet by comparing them to Twice and Bp when the numbers they put up are very good considering 98% of girl groups cant get close to their numbers.

songqion likes this.
  14. histrionicbitch

I mean, they definitely try more out there stuff compared to SNSD, and have a lot of variety within their setlist compared to other groups.

15. mparserz

mparserz Artist

Don't get too caught up with the term "experimental" meaning Red Velvet is out there dropping chinchillas off the roof onto drums for instrumentals and beats. I just mean that their music and concepts were different from what SM was willing to give SNSD. SM was letting Red Velvet even do genres that F(x) didn't do much of or at all. Out of all their girl groups, Red Velvet had a larger spectrum of music genres they were willing to do that spanned from really wacky pop to r&b.

nellee, ThisGuy, Chiyana and 8 others like this.
  16. MyPostsAreFacts

MyPostsAreFacts Entertainer

Well they became their flagship group whether they planned on it or not so now SM has to start giving them everything they deserve. If they never get a lightstick then idk what is going on over there at SM.

ThisGuy and spicyaghase like this.
  17. King23

King23 Entertainer

How does one criticize for “only” being a top 3, wut? Lol makes zero sense. They have done extremely well and should be praised for it.

ThisGuy, legendjekki and mparserz like this.
  18. mparserz

mparserz Artist

Agreed. Some people are weird.

19. jasque

jasque Star

Rv girls will go solo.

But Joy needs to try smaller things first xD

ThisGuy and SaviorTwice like this.
  20. songqion

songqion Artist

Experimental? I guess their concepts are somewhat varied but i wouldn't say they are experimental. RR, rookie and DD are pretty much what any other top gg could do (IOI, Twice, Wjsn, etc).

F(x) on the other side was the real experiment: weird music, amber, a chinese member, etc.

I'm pretty sure they'll be inactive for quite some time if sm debuts another group. After all, they're focusing on making these girls money makers for solo activities. Irene as a model, Joy as an actress and maybe Yeri in the variety field. Seulgi might get a solo debut and tbh i can see Wendy being the next Luna. Which is a shame considering she's really talented.

SaviorTwice likes this.