Rate The Last Movie You Watched

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by minorishin, Jul 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. alexgrin

alexgrin Trainee

Currency:
    Spirited Away, 9/10 really loved this movie. The plot would never get made in the West, but I loved it. The lack of exposition the periods of quiet, the central character who brings everything with them no need for false growth.

Blaenavon9 likes this.
  2. StCatMouse

StCatMouse Rookie

Currency:
    Procrastinator
    John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum
    7/10
    Saw it in the theaters a few months back but I was at my cousin's and they were watching John Wick 3 so I sat down and watched it again. The first one is still the best I think. While I appreciate the further world-building they did for the second and third, the first one is self-contained with a simple premise wrapped around awesome action scenes. This one they doubled down on the mythos and it's like the writers played Hitman and Assassin's Creed and said to themselves, 'we can do it better'. The movie do ask you to suspend your disbelief like where are the cops? Or there's probably a very slim chance John's still alive (or at least not brain damaged) following that fall and gunshot wounds in the end. Still, the action bitswere good although I find some of the fights clunky or repetitive especially his reliance with the arm bar takedown and shoulder throws. The clunkiness is the most apparent for me when he was fighting Cecep Arif Rahman and Yayan Ruhian (the guys from both Raid films). Still, it's a good action romp and even the weakest parts of the movie do not make it unwatchable.

3. Blaenavon9

Blaenavon9 A-List

Currency:
    I've been watching Becket for the last 3 days because it is a 1080p video and my stone age pc refuses to play more than 30 minutes of it at a time..without the audio track and video going out of sync

Its a thoroughly engaging medieval drama about Henry 4 and his best friend and enemy Samuel Becket.. Henry , an irresponsible, 1600s rockstar played to great effect by the charismatic and handsome Peter O'Toole and Becket playing the foil - a responsible, devout and intelligent strategist and theirs isn't much of a battle of wits because Henry doesn't have any, and because they love each other but want different things - in short it's a bromance. There u have it.
    e8b20240ccb6824bffc4528965a923ac.jpg
    I'd give it a 7/10 But Toole's performance deserves a 10.

#523 Blaenavon9, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  4. StCatMouse

StCatMouse Rookie

Currency:
    Procrastinator
    Hellboy (2019)
    4.5 - 5/10
    You know what? I kinda like it in a shut-off-your-brain-and-just-enjoy-the-ride kind of way. It's terrible that the fans didn't get the third Guillermo del Toro-directed film and this was no consolation over that. My score may not reflect it but the movie's short, the pacing's fine, and David Harbour was a good Hellboy I think so it had that going for it. Let's face it, Ron Perlman isn't getting any younger and a fully CGed Hellboy would probably suck more. Speaking of CG, yeah it was terrible which boggles my mind as even mid-budget films can produce a more convincing CG than this. The R-rating was wasted on profanities and cartoonish violence. Wish they'd veered more into the Lovecraftian horror of the source material. And speaking of source material, I think it was an odd choice to do The Wild Hunt arc first in this reboot. It's steeped in Hellboy lore at that point and using it as a jumpstart for the franchise eschews a lot of what makes the story arc work. The ending was a hell lot more interesting in the comics and they should have used that instead as it was a good setup for the next film (which probably wouldn't happen now). They didn't even keep Nimue's cool helmet from the comics.

5. alexgrin

alexgrin Trainee

Currency:
    Stuber (2019) - 6/10

A modern take on the “ride-along” premise using Uber and its driver as the main comedy vehicle.
    Not that funny, but enjoyable enough with plenty of silly and slapstick moments.

6. joombo

joombo Newbie

Currency:
    Watching Blade Runner 2049 again right now.
    Brilliant. Like it more each time.
    Cinemaphotography is amazing. So many scenes with focus on one colour. Beautiful.

Blaenavon9, Angela_Cao and StCatMouse like this.
  7. alexgrin

alexgrin Trainee

Currency:
    F&F Hobbs and Shaw - 3/10
    Just awful. Even for a brainless turn your brain off action film it was far wide of the mark. Dull, unfunny clichéd rubbish.

8. joombo

joombo Newbie

Currency:
    Red Sea Diving Resort on Netflix. 6.5/10, decent watch. Israelis being the good guys and helping people, a large amount as well. No idea how much of it was true and how much was creative license but it was impressive anyway.

9. joombo

joombo Newbie

Currency:
    Brightburn a few nights back, the horror elements were excellent and some genuine wtf jaw on the floor moments ;) 7/10

10. StCatMouse

StCatMouse Rookie

Currency:
    Procrastinator
    Parasite (Gisaengchung) (2019)
    8/10
    After watching it a few times, I'm not sure who I should have root for. First time watching I kinda felt bad for the family but thinking about it, they are terrible - they're not bad bad (they have that lovable rogue quality to them) but very opportunistic and unscrupulous. What I like about the film is I have this preconception of where the movie is going but turned on it's head in the second act. I don't think it's even about classism as I don't felt the rich family (I'm trying to keep this as spoiler-free as possible) were bad in most way (I feel some of the reviewers are just projecting per usual these days), if anything they were hapless victims. Can't hate them as for the most part they are there to drive the story forward. Even the wife, whom the film referred to as 'simple' didn't struck me as one. Oblivious? Sure. Simple? No. The third act is where I think it kinda fell apart. Without revealing too much, the absurdity went a bit overboard. I love the ambiguous ending though.
    Still, the cast I think did some respectable heavy-lifting. If it was a lesser pool of actors and actresses, I don't think it would work. Not the best Joon-ho Bong film but even his lesser ones are still above the usual lot.

11. kyutiemir22

kyutiemir22 Arya and Gendrys 3rd Wheel
    Events Team . Moderator

Currency:
    Pet Sematary 4/10
    It's 1 hr and 40 min but it might as well be 3 hrs, it felt that long. There are no well written character arcs or relationships so it makes losing a kid seem unimportant. The sad scenes don't feel sad. It completely missed the mark with the feeling of dread, mystery, and helplessness that the book conveys. They add random shit like spirals and kids in masks just to be more spooky. Scratch the 4 I think it might even just be a 2 out of 10. Hated this movie.

12. alexgrin

alexgrin Trainee

Currency:
    Triple Frontier on Netflix

hmmm - very average - not particularly gripping, most of the action scenes are in the trailer, dragged on a bit. Nothing new about it.
    Looked great in the trailer but at best 6/10.

13. Blaenavon9

Blaenavon9 A-List

Currency:
    Godfather II

Brilliant, every bit as good as I remembered it. Back when I last saw it I was a Pacino fan but now i love deniros parts way more.
    Both actors are on a par though.
    It's such s beautiful, nuanced film, and the stakes are fantastically high, just perfect.
    I loved Tom Hagen so much in both films I think he may be my favourite character out of the whole series
    10/10 though I'm not a good enough authority to even rate it

14. soneroxierae

soneroxierae Super Rookie

Currency:
    ~Magical girl~
    Scary Stories to tell in the dark~ 7/10
    Read the books as a kid so I was excited to see it, the toe monster scene was kind of scary but overall pretty decent movie I also loved Lana del Rey's version of season of the witch.

StCatMouse likes this.
  15. alinamparker

alinamparker Newbie

Currency:
  16. joombo

joombo Newbie

Currency:
    Dark Phoenix 7/10. Was not expecting to enjoy this as I find the Xmen movies average at best but as a turn your brain off visual and audio blast it ws enjoyable. I would sy it trumped Captain Marvel for me.

17. alexgrin

alexgrin Trainee

Currency:
    Watched the remake of Jacob's Ladder last night, not a bad movie but the original was a classic and should really have been left alone. 6/10

18. joombo

joombo Newbie

Currency:
    Aladdin 2019 6/10
    Worth a watch but it not even half as good as the original, to me it seam shorter then the cartoon and they seam to have added more songs just to take up time instead of focusing on what was good about the original.

19. soneroxierae

soneroxierae Super Rookie

Currency:
    ~Magical girl~
    IT chapter 2
    8/10 decent film
    no one has a clue on how excited I was to watch the movie. Overall I think it could've been better though especially with the ending but it's still worth the watch in my opinion my only dislike was the CGI, the cast did awesome but honestly, Jessica Chastain and bill Hader stole the show. In the end, though I'm gonna miss the losers club sad that the ride is over

20. kyutiemir22

kyutiemir22 Arya and Gendrys 3rd Wheel
    Events Team . Moderator

Currency:
    It Chapter 2
    9.5/10
    Things I liked
    The adult cast looked exactly like the kids and the effort to look for lookalikes who were competent did not go unappreciated. The movie was surprisingly funny as hell. I think one of the things I didnt like from the first one was the exaggerated humor that sometimes wouldn't stick between richie and eddie but to the older actors it just came off as more natural. Eddies death I felt had the same impact as in the books, definitely made me shed a tear. I liked how they showed pennywise coming into derry as the cosmic being he is instead of just some random monster. I had heard that It ch2 broke records for most blood used in one scene and I was hoping it wasn't gratuitous and they didn't disappoint. Bevs scene with Ben was awesome. All their individual scares were cool too. The Adrian scene oh my god I loved it soo much. Played out exactly like the book. They didn't hold back on the brutality when it came to killing the kids which I thought was important. In the book they never hold back(it tearing apart a 2 yr old and ripping off the head of the corcoran kid). The Chinese Restaurant scene and the Paul Bunyon scene were well made too.

Things I didn't like
    The actor who played Mike, like I don't mind the guy himself and I don't know if its because of the dialogue that was given to him or just his acting. In the book Mike is very much like "you have to come to derry to hear me out because you swore but after that its your decision if you stay" and in the movie he was more like "YOU HAVE TO COME TO DERRY YOU HAVE TO STAY I WILL TIE YOU DOWN MF IF I HAVE TO" So I didn't like the direction they took with his character. This one, its not that I dont like it its just that I don't get the point, why the Eddie x Richie love plot? In the book the point of Adrians plot is that it shows that not only kids are targeted but adults too and even if they're not being eaten by pennywise his influence is so big on them that they murder and attack each other. Pennywise is chaos and the source of most if not all bad in derry. And they didn't show that in the movie. They made Henry into a 2D villain. He had depth, he wanted his fathers love and affection. Pennywise used that to drive him insane and Henry felt remorse over his friends deaths. Its belch who drives henry around and in one of those driving moments he spends the car ride apologizing to him. Stanley getting some bs excuse about why he killed himself was also not it. He was scared and he was weak and that was the point. Pennywise is scary, and the losers are not invincible. Thats what that is supposed to represent.

small things they took out but I understand why (book is too fucking long to make a proper movie)
    -the real ritual of chuud
    -the other and maturin
    -derry imploding
    -bevs husband and audras subplots
    -smoke club scene
    -eddie and patricks chapters
    -any of the interludes

But yea overall I can understand why some of the negatives were done. And the positives far outweight the negatives thats why the rating is so high. 10/10 would watch again in theatres~