[Rant] She Sure As Hell Ain't Useless

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by emanresu, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Chikkin

Chikkin Super Rookie

Currency:
    Because intellectuals

emanresu likes this.
  2. Komori

Komori Newbie

Currency:
    The majority of people who do that are just trying to glorify their favs tbh, others just have affinity to vocals more than visuals etc.

But is really silly to disregard idols like that, "uhh they have no talent they're only famous cause they're pretty", bitch, attracting and keeping the atention of an audience while being among other 8 equally gorgeous and well produced kids IS talent.
    In kpop likeability is very important, just ask all those groups that had good music and powerful dancing but never made it cause they lacked the charming part.

Chikkin, emanresu and MonstaXisLife like this.
  3. Flyingpetals

Flyingpetals Leader

Currency:
    Apple
    Okay I agree
    take Somi for example
    she's popular because she has a lot of charm
    if she didnt
    not that many people would have supported her

4. emanresu

emanresu Icon

Currency:
    Haha... Yea... That's about how long it takes until I just gotta get it off my chest.

KookiesAndTae and MonstaXisLife like this.
  5. emanresu

emanresu Icon

Currency:
    Well both.

Visuals/charm are praised continuously but at the same time it's they're derided by a lot of people, usually in the form of calling them simply a "pretty face" or the more extreme useless or talentless.

soshilovelife and MonstaXisLife like this.
  6. emanresu

emanresu Icon

Currency:
    Yes.

I don't really know the girl that well, so I don't know what her skill level is. She seemed to be okay in Produce 101, but I haven't followed her since.

But what put her to the next level and made people consider her in the first place, is that she was charming and visually attractive.

7. kpopenthusiast12

kpopenthusiast12 Celebrity

Currency:
    Ehh, idk. This is a really controversial topic because the world "useless" can have different meanings to different people depending on the context that you're looking at from. To say that group members like Sana and Tzuyu are useless would be hypocritical because there are some people who do watch variety shows and pick out the most charming (sometimes attractive) person as their bias. (I'm an example of one of those people).

Do groups members like Sana and Tzuyu provide much musically to their group? Ehh, not really.

Do they help market the group? Yes. If you noticed what happened with Signal, the song did start hitting no. 1 all because of our one and only cuteness expert Sana and her "Cheechee kimbap".

I do think that it depends on the person and how they decide their standards for a group.

Mynty, emanresu and soshilovelife like this.
  8. soshilovelife

Currency:
    This is your second thread with the rant disclaimer in less than three months so you have exceeded your quota:p. I couldnt help it, I checked your thread list, I just thought an official rant every six months was beyond human capability. Sorry:oops:

Jokes aside, I like to think that every person chosen to be part of a group contributes something even if it is not visible to the people on the other side. As a person whose UB is still dragged to this day for being the visual of her group, despite showing improvement, all I can say is that you cant never have it all.

I agree, and even if you have BOTH people will still find reasons to drag you down. It happens even in real life.

This has been an interesting thread.

emanresu likes this.
  9. kddicted

kddicted Married to @Icy68446

Currency:
    ♡Taeng stan♡
    Like Taeyeon..so she's a great vocalist so what. She gotta have the personality and visuals too. It's useful so people will like you better. It's business.
    Tzuyu is talented. I mean, her voice in signal is what saved it for me. Talk about improvement and nice voice colour

emanresu likes this.
  10. emanresu

emanresu Icon

Currency:
    I am this type of person too. The only reason I got into TWICE was due to my love of Tzuyu. And then later my love of Sana. I've come to really dig their music as well, but what got me to consider their music were visuals and personality.

This is why I never understand the useless argument. They bring people to the table and keep them interested. Just as Sana has.

People are more than welcome to define their own criteria for assessment. But they must realize that that's their reality. That's not the reality of the music business.

Claiming that the members who gain attention and popularity for their kpop groups via their visual/charm are useless is a position that doesn't mesh with reality. Sure go ahead. Restrict "value" to talent only. The rest of us will be here in the real world where what you look like and whether people like you matters, and actually translates into increased sales/success.

*Note I don't mean you as in "you". It was directed at the types of people my rant was directed at.

kpopenthusiast12 likes this.
  11. Lubby00

Lubby00 Icon

Currency:
    Anyone who thinks that vocal is the only thing that matters in the idol industry, are clearly delusional

You need a group who offers everything from talents/skills to visual to charm to variety sense and more. Overall you need star quality

Even Mark from NCT said that being an idol isn't just about singing and dancing, because that is a known fact

And they along with the other 7 were choosen due to having said star quality. And all 9 of them having it is why they're the top GG now

If vocal was the most and only important factor, Spica would've been huge

There are many people who can pull a high note, but having an iconic line like Shy Shy Shy and being a non-Korean it girl in Korea is something only a handful of idols can say they have

Plus Tzuyu and Sana are better than people give them credit for

emanresu likes this.
  12. takit

takit Trendsetter

Currency:
    Researcher
    Ha!Ha! Koreans has always put visual over talent. Many talented girl groups has been relegated to this form of treatment. Though the visual aspect was lost on the better singer she became second string. I cannot remember the Korean male singer who had a very beautiful voice but was not allowed to go on stage to sing, he had to sing in shadow because he was not visually good looking. He sang with a famous singer I think NY with his back slightly to the stage. Over the years he has had so many plastic surgery because he was so self conscious of his looks and how people portrayed him and ugly.

emanresu likes this.
  13. emanresu

emanresu Icon

Currency:
    Oh shoot. You caught me lol! :D

Yes!

I think in most cases there's something they contribute.

I have a feeling I know who your talking about...;)

:D

soshilovelife likes this.