Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

Question for newer kpop fans.

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by RedVelvendetta, Sep 12, 2018.

1. RedVelvendetta

By newer let's if you became a kpop fan 2016 or later. Which includes myself btw.

1. What groups had you heard about prior to becoming a kpop fan?
    2. Were there any groups you're surprised you hadn't heard about prior to becoming a kpop fan?
    3. Was there a group or song that ignited your interest into kpop?

For me:
    From the 2nd gen I had heard of SNSD and 2NE1. I even followed a couple f(x) title tracks back in the day. Had never heard of Wonder Girls until 2017...actually I still only know of 1 WG song. I'm a mess lmao.

From the 3rd gen:
    I had actually heard of Red Velvet first. Ice Cream Cake had a lot of buzz in my tumblr community (and they almost never talked kpop). Russian Roulette also got a lot of buzz. Who knew they'd be my ult bias 2 years later lolol.
    The one I'm surprised I had never heard about is Twice. I missed a whole Cheer Up and TT lol. First time hearing of them was when Likey came out actually. Shocking I know... also GFriend. I missed all of Me Gustas Tu. I actually didn't know anything about them until earlier this year. I had a lot of catching up to do lolol.

The song that started my serious kpop interest was 7th Sense, but I might actually credit Boombayah for really igniting my interest.

2. PrestonGarvey

PrestonGarvey Artist

Loyal Minuteman
    I got into kpop in early 2017, so I guess this applies to me too.

1. The only Korean song I had even heard of before getting into kpop was Gangnam Style
    2. In retrospect, I'm really surprised I had never heard of SNSD or BTS.
    3. The first group that got me hooked on kpop was Orange Caramel (and to a lesser extent the rest of After School). I think I listened to Catallena, My Copycat, Lipstick, and Abing Abing basically non-stop for about a month after I found them. But for a while I didn't listen to anything except After School, Orange Caramel, and a few f(x) songs. But sometime in August of last year I discovered Red Velvet, and that's when the floodgates really opened. I've been listening to more and more groups ever since.

3. lighterxx

lighterxx Legend

Full-Time Carat with low sense of humour
    in somewhere writing 10th SVT thread of the day
    tbh remembering my first song is really hard, all remember was it was some shinhwa song, after that i found tvxq and followed them as much as i can, because i was so very young i dont have very specific memories of remembering artists nor the groups, without meaning to i know all kpop artists lol

4. Alison13

Alison13 Rookie

BTS
    2. Were there any groups you're surprised you hadn't heard about prior to becoming a kpop fan?
    Girl's generation
    Blackpink boombayah and Bigbang bang bang bang

dooh likes this.
  5. Vikki

Vikki Married to @Girl_Crush

Time waster
    None of them

No not really, kpop isnt big here so there would be no reason for me to hear of them

Bang Bang Bang by Big Bang, Fxxk It, Loser, and Last Dance cemented me and pulled me into Big Bang. Lucifer by Shinee opened the door to multfandomness for me.

twentyfivedollar likes this.
  6. twentyfivedollar

I got into KPop this year in January
    SNSD really was the only one that popped out and kept coming back to me. I remember The Boy got so much buzz on the internet (because it was the English debut) also when they won Vidoe Of the year at the YouTube awards that was big too.I hated them so much like in American pop line distribution is already bad when you only have 3 girls so the thought of multiple girls in one group just wasn’t it for me it just didn’t make sense I remember reading about AK48 thinking it was SNSD and made me hate SNSD even more. It’s funny cuz now I can’t go a Day without hearing Gee.
    I’m really surprised I had no idea Wonder Girls existed like they really tried to break the American market through children they toured with the Jonas Brothers and had a Nickelodeon movie and I HAD IDEA ABOUT It. And let me tell you I was watching Nickelodeon EVERYDAY so like it really baffles me and Jonas brothers we so big when I was younger too so then not getting clout from that really make me wonder why didn’t I know these girls existed. I’m also sad I missed the Cheer Up/TT wave or the whole School trilogy Gfriend has 2016 must have been amazing for KPop fans also I wished I was around during the i.o.i hype too.
    One day I’m minding my business he next day I get recommended Bad a boy on Spotify and the rest is history. Like from the first listen it was an ear worm and unconsciously I was listening to it everyday but what was the nail to the coffin of my reveluvs stanhood was the music video like what really got my attention was EVERYONE SANG ON EACH VERSE like it felt like it was a group effort. Plus they were all so damn pretty and then I watch behind the scenes video and fell in love with there personalities. For a while it was just KPop and then my friend showed me Likey and at first I was obessed but the minute Twice dropped What Is Love everything made sense idk. Thus from then my mission was to learn as much as KPop as I could. Little did I know I was about hop into a bottomless pit. Also the Me Gusta tu video really was

soonayo and RedVelvendetta like this.
  7. SpicyChilis

SpicyChilis Artist

1) if gangnam style counts it was that. if it doesn’t it’s gee by snsd
    2) big bang, tvxq, wonder girls, 2ne1 and snsd
    3) overdose by exo

8. Laroucelle

Laroucelle Super Rookie

Shinee, BTS, Girl's Generation, Red Velvet, Exo

Not really? Maybe Big Bang?

I don't honestly remember. I just casually heard a few kpop songs on youtube, while browsing, and added some catchier songs to my playlist. It just slowly happened over the years, you see.

9. Kimotsi

Kimotsi Rookie

I had heard snsd,2ne1,big bang,bts and BP from some girls in class.First song that i enjoyed was dope-bts.

10. soonayo

soonayo Super Rookie

None. I didn't even know what kpop was back then, we used to call them Korean Songs (just like Korean Drama).. I watched 2 songs of Big Bang (LLL and WBT) for my dance practice. I genuinely loved them, got obsessed for more and finally became a kpop fan..

Girls' Generation. I came into Kpop world through BB but GG were the first group I actually stanned. Then, discovered 2NE1 and so on..

Big Bang's LLL and WBT.

11. BeeForTheHani

BeeForTheHani Entertainer

Trusting in Loona
    Late last year, I was watching a lot of streamers, and songs like Peekaboo and Likey were played a lot on SK channels (and even on some US ones, though mostly as a meme), so I knew those groups existed, and of course everyone knows Psy.

Nope, even now, no group has really made me think, wow, they should have been so big even I would have heard of them as someone mostly into 60s and 70s music living in the US who basically ignores social media.

They weren't solely responsible, but I would give a lot of credit to Red Velvet. I stumbled across Automatic, Be Natural, and I Just pretty early on, so they were a big part of convincing me that kpop had a lot more to offer than just cute bubblegum pop. They're the first group where I thought, I would have these songs on my playlist even if kpop wasn't a thing.

12. RedFlavor

RedFlavor Super Rookie

1. Psy gangnam style and gentleman, hyuna ice cream
    2. Snsd, maybe I heard them but I did not know it was them tho, I have no memories
    3. Pristin first mini album (even tho its still been debated a lot I like it very much)

13. deza7744

deza7744 Super Rookie

Gangnam Style was the first kpop song I ever heard. Didn't really get into kpop just hopped on that trend. After the first MV I watched was Russian Roulette since some of the people at my school were kpop fans and hyped for it. Also heard name dtops of groups like SNSD, EXO, BTS, Super Junior, TVXQ, Miss A
    Surprised I didn't hear TWICE.
    Was just talking to some friends one day and they were talking about a new girlgroup debuting under YG and the company hadn't had a girlgroup for a long time. So that peeked my interest in a company + the hype around it , so basically I truly got into Kpop when BLACKPINK debuted, August 2016. Kinda liked the feeling of getting into kpop when a group debuts then you follow them through.

14. much_trash

much_trash Artist

crying
    What groups had you heard about prior to becoming a kpop fan?
    none

not really ??

blackpink and red velvet
    and then girls generation really got me into stan culture

15. Raphyun

Raphyun Super Rookie

Media Arts Student
    I've heard of SNSD, Super Junior, Wonder Girls, BigBang, BlackPink, Got7, BTS and Twice. Most of my classmates were
    big fans of those groups, they were always blaring their songs during class breaks.

Not really? Since my classroom was full of chatter related to K-Pop, so I was pretty updated even though I had no
    interest in K-Pop whatsoever. lol

I actually listened to K-Pop just for the lols, I was just finding music to study too since songs of the language I could understand were really distracting and I can't focus on studying. So I listened to Twice since they were the first group to pop up in my head, and some of my close friends were fond of them. But I actually liked Signal so I continued to listen to more groups. But what really hammered my interest in K-Pop was when I listened to Spring Day by BTS.

#15 Raphyun, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  16. DrunkNova

DrunkNova Rookie

1. Heard of Big Bang, SNSD, PSY and thats about it.
    2. Uh i was shocked that i never heard of BP or BTS.
    3. The group was twice - cheer up. I got it from a game where they did the shy shy shy dance, and I was interested and i found out it was from twice. and from there i discovered other groups and stuff :)

17. histrionicbitch

histrionicbitch Super Rookie

BTS, Girls Generation, and Psy (he's not a group, but still... I'm putting him down.)
    Blackpink and Twice
    "Russian roulette" by Red Velvet