Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

[POLL] Should Big Hit do this to totally and finally crush it

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by K_Pop_Captain, May 25, 2018.

?

Should BTS release English version

1. YES - It's the natural next step for act like BTS making waves internationally

8 vote(s)
    10.8%
  2. NO - I am not a visionary like you

66 vote(s)
    89.2%
  1. AmmaAffa

AmmaAffa Public Figure

MDR in English was cringy to say the least, the delivery as well as the lyrics. But wasn't criticised by muggles too much because they were not even aware that BTS was singing in English . That should tell us that BTS is not ready yet.

Sorry if I came across too harsh. :oops:

illumination likes this.
  2. illumination

illumination Trendsetter

We're all good fam :D

3. randomstrang3r

randomstrang3r Public Figure

If it is for a single or collaboration project, I don't mind. But not a full on cb with an english album. rfKdylo.gif One of the reason why we love them is the story, the message they tell in their song. With 6 members not fluent in english, I don't think we can get the same quality as in the language they fluent and comfortable of. I don't want them to lose that essence.

I can't found the one when the members themselves said it but there were a couple interviews last year when they were asked about it and RM doesn't seem to want it anyway. But here what Bang PD stated: "I'm not a believer in releasing full English songs to the U.S. market, like many K-pop artists have," and "There’s no rule that they have to use English. Even though they sing in Korean, foreign fans like it.”

Source: https://www.soompi.com/2017/12/11/bang-shi-hyuk-talks-bts-sings-korean/
    https://www.billboard.com/articles/...g-hitman-conscious-k-pop-cross-over-interview

K_Pop_Captain and Juliabuhuhu like this.
  4. zedi

zedi Trendsetter

it will sell yes but there something wrong with US and Asian artist
    i mean armies who go and say "not the are sharing their lyrics with their own language" are just nonsense and played dead when BTS released Japanese singles

5. Juliabuhuhu

Juliabuhuhu Married to @Minyoongimin

It's not that people don't agree but they have said that they won't release something in english. If they do they would get a shit lot of hate. I think the best for them is to have something like mic drop in the future. There was an ok distribution between english and korean.

K_Pop_Captain likes this.
  6. sandrayang

sandrayang Super Rookie

only people rooted in the old kpop thinking would think like this. it's like missing the whole point of what they are trying to do and who they want to be. love yourself: tear is about to become the first korean language album #1 on BB200. a first time for any asian artist to place #1. and the first foreign language placing there since 2006. and that's just the american market, the album already placed its highest on uk, german, swedish, japanese and australian charts and the rest is about to come out still.

bangtan doesn't have to do anything differently to crush it. they don't need to conform to any language market to crush it. their global success isn't based on conforming to the biggest language on the market, quite the opposite, them keeping their korean authenticity is one of the cornerstones of why their fans have an extra love and respect for them.

bangtan is in the special place of being someone who can break language barriers. who is currently doing something no other asian and only very few foreign artists had done before in music history -- influencing the global music market with a foreign language. they are doing it already. crushing it. it's not a future tense hanging on any english version.

K_Pop_Captain likes this.
  7. Vikki

Vikki Married to @Girl_Crush

Time waster
    I know they're trying, I wasnt using that to bring them down at all. Other languages are hard, I admire them for at least trying, since I dont even speak my first language well anymore (and I know English of all languages is not an easy one to learn, especially as you get older). I mean, people from my bias groups have dumb english moments too, and I dont think of them any less for it, theyre singers and dancers, the fact that they know or try to learn another language is just a bonus at that point.

Yabie likes this.
  8. aima_L

aima_L Public Figure

起承轉結
    They'd flop like Wonder Girls

But seriously, if they did that, people would start hating them and ARMYs leave the fandom because our pride is they don't NEED Western Validation, they can just rise up in Korea and we get more fans. If they did that they'd seem too try-hard and have a slow and painful downhill and get stuck in the place they were before: They have fans but no one notices them, so they have to keep going because they can but it gets them nowhere almost to the point of where they don't have enough to do anything and they go on forever hiatus and the next comeback they make is a flop... everyone forgets who they were and wonders why in the hell their older shit had so many views and so many people like them... only true ARMYs will stand by them and other ARMYs will leave for other fandoms like BTS (Seventeen, NCT, etc)
    Till eventually they disband all because they tried to get Western Validation

And my kings SEVENTEEN and NCT will take their place as the k-pop groups of America, Seventeen moving up from 2nd place and NCT moving up from 3rd/4th. If BTS flops old ARMYs will just run off to SVT and become CARATs, and they'll get all the western hype in place of BTS, though Joshua and Vernon might have success releasing English songs because they are from LA/NYC

*sorry for the rant but..

9. Karla

Karla Super Rookie

I disagree with 2 and 3 but I would like to see the members apart from RM to get better at speaking English.

10. Purplelavender97

Purplelavender97 Super Rookie

When they came last year for the AMAs, an interviewer from ryan seacrest's show asked them why wouldn't do english songs when they do it in japanese and RM was clearly annoyed with that question and it was so difficult to watch how he tried to dodge the question in a nice manner as possible. So clearly they are not comfortable using english fully for their albums and probably wouldn't want to do that in the future too.

11. Hopkinz

Hopkinz Trendsetter

I think part of their appeal internationally is their struggle with English and Rap Monster getting irritated at them

12. Lulita

Lulita Newbie

Student
    I dont want them to release an English version if any song tbh (especially not an album in English) because anyway majority of the fans like them regardless of them speaking English. I know that most Kpop fans are ok with watching videos without subtitles and still smile (maybe whine a little bit just because we really want to engage with them). A song in English would do well In USA as in they can perform it on Ellen's show etc. but fans would not like it as much (esp Korean fans) and Im kind of worried about them getting hate from knetz if they do that. All Armys are able to sing along to their songs (with bad Korean but whatever)

13. AmmaAffa

AmmaAffa Public Figure

Rest assured, western stans who turned into ARMY, are not going to abandon BTS and join other kpop fandoms just because BTS start to sing in English, millions of us are not invested in kpop just BTS and after them will say bye to kpop. They will not 'flop' and nobody is magically going to take their place even if one day they comfortably start making music in English.

So no, Seventeen and NCT have a verrry long way to go before they can even come close to BTS and start attracting muggles into stanning them like BTS did with ARMYs.

Sorrybae39 likes this.
  14. Znewie71

Znewie71 Celebrity

I dont see why not, i mean its like some said that kpop idols put out japanese and maybe chinese versions. Even western artist do that too. I think if anything if they release an english album it should be english versions of their songs rather than an whole english album of new songs, if they do well with their english versions, then hey go from there. But you also dont want them to alienate their korean fans, i mean they are a kpop group first, and the worst that could happen is all the hate they will receive, international success is good but domestic success is better, because if it happens that their international success dies down at least they have their success domestically. And kpop fans tend to stay loyal for a long time especially korean kpop fans.

15. aima_L

aima_L Public Figure

起承轉結
    kpop groups mostly rely on korean fans, since EPs/Mini Albums are all in Korea only, and 90% of kpop idols albums are EPs so it wouldn't matter to Korea if they were popular internationally. Look at 2015/2016. They were still flops in Korea's eyes till first win with BST. If Korea doesn't like them, Korean Entertainment will just decide to take BTS down and then people in Korea will focus on newer idols more like NCT and Seventeen. I mean, SEVENTEEN's 'Ideal Cut' sold out in like, a second or less. Remember, they aren't in American market. It's Korean. that's why they are KPOP. Not POP. If Korean industry and population doesn't like them, then bts will get taken down. But unfortunately, that's where they are heading, so they better make a new girl group or boy group quick

:teeheek:

16. 89TIFF

89TIFF Super Rookie

multifandom stan
    namjoon and bang si hyuk have both stated they’re against that idea. they say they don’t want to “adapt” into the western charts and “morph” into something different than their original vision was, which was to spread korean music with a good and positive message. i also think creating full version english songs is a bad idea, they’re not here to fit in and get american people to like them. one more thing, k armys and international armys don’t need english songs to love them, even seeing one glance of bangtan makes so much of them sweat and scream.

don’t forget that there’s a ton of other producers, lyricists, and composers bts can work with who are in the k music scene. i highly doubt they will even need anyone else except for namjoon, bang si hyuk himself, supreme boi, and the other accompanying producers and lyricists of bighit.

baejoohyuns likes this.
  17. propanda

propanda Very Important Panda

I think they should eventually. Half of my countries artist sing in English to aim outside of my country the rest singing in Finnish are just aiming for Finnish market. Its same around Europe, so I dont really get the distaste of kpop group singing in English. Its pretty normal thing for artist to do and bts should at least try it out.

Please get them a good lyricists though english kpop songs tend to have awful lyrics.

18. rinah108

rinah108 Trendsetter

never

english lessons are ok tho

19. LacriMosa95

LacriMosa95 Super Rookie

No, armys won't make a petition or asking something that they (RM and BangPD) already said a few times that they will not make a full English album. To go against their will and force them to do something they're not comfortable with is nonsense.

They wanted to become artist that stay who they are, they wanted to spreads their language and culture with pride. Besides, HER album debuted on 7th and with their new album TEAR is predicted to debut on 1st or 2nd place on Billboard Hot200 album US main chart (not under kpop category).
    If that really are true then they don't really need to fit in and make english album to "finally crush it", cause they already did well with their full korean album alone.

20. rairte

rairte Rookie

Gardener
    People react negatively when change is introduced suddenly. I feel like its gonna backfire when they decide to crush it. It feels too heavy-handed. I liked how they approached the US market last year with a remix of Mic Drop. And I also liked how they learned the Japanese language gradually. Hobi, RM, and Taehyung communicated well with J-armys during this year's Muster and it was nice to see their improvement over the years.