Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

[POLL] Should Big Hit do this to totally and finally crush it

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by K_Pop_Captain, May 25, 2018.

?

Should BTS release English version

1. YES - It's the natural next step for act like BTS making waves internationally

8 vote(s)
    10.8%
  2. NO - I am not a visionary like you

66 vote(s)
    89.2%
  1. Chaittra

Chaittra A-List

But they can never own it and say hey I did the entire thing... They really express themselves in Korean and it will be really difficult to do that when 6 members are not even fluent... Yes, we can have someone write it for them but the whole identity of I DID THIS will be lost.

randomstrang3r and Fsfsksf like this.
  2. K_Pop_Captain

K_Pop_Captain Leader

The danger is the translation being bad, so the quality of the Western lyricist is critical to this idea. Don't want some pop arsehole, need some poetic shit going on.

You bring a great song + great lyrics that mean something then the critics will wake up as well.

3. K_Pop_Captain

K_Pop_Captain Leader

That's true, in that case you would have to translate their entire work but make sure it's a high quality translation (with changes made if necessary to make it work in English).

Chaittra likes this.
  4. Chaittra

Chaittra A-List

Did you see the amount of heat the international stans threw at Teddy for Lisa's rap in AIIYL for the word FINNA... They will rip BTS if they ever do an original English song and try to stylize it or make it a little complex... in that case, they will have to go for easy songs and that will just be MEH

Again so many factors will go into it so I say BTS should stay away from this for a while... or like do one English song in each album to just test the waters

Fsfsksf, Zehila, botmy and 1 other person like this.
  5. Infire707

Infire707 Married to: Surprise_bitch

CLC and WayV promoter
    no english albums

6. K_Pop_Captain

K_Pop_Captain Leader

Yeah maybe start off slow with one English song in an album see what the reaction is

Chaittra likes this.
  7. K_Pop_Captain

K_Pop_Captain Leader

Yeah but look at their recent release, it's done so well in Korea AND the West.

Vikki and Chaittra like this.
  8. AmmaAffa

AmmaAffa Public Figure

I don't really care about the reaction of kpop fans, the hate is nothing new and its natural that with change even the fans would become nonfans and vice versa.

But what I do know is that Yoongi is the lyrical master mind with the rest of rapline and his lyrics would not be as complex and compelling in English if he would write them himself as his vocabulary is not developed enough or if a western write the lyrics for them then we would not get another personal gem like 'tomorrow'.

So I want them to write in a language they are comfortable in, they don't want to be western stars but global ones and they have ambitions but they are not going to bite off more than they can chew just because an opportunity arises.

Oh and I don't really care if they become more EDMish, 'westernized' or mainstream, whatever kpop fans mean by that, as long as they do it on their own terms and are happy with it. And songs in English is not something rapline would want to do according to their interviews.

#28 AmmaAffa, May 25, 2018
    Last edited: May 25, 2018
  9. Fsfsksf

Fsfsksf Trainee

crying
    If they wanted to sure, but I doubt they do bc of some of namjoons past replies to questions about doing a song in english. But tbh, I wouldn't want an album in english, maybe just a song or something

10. Zehila

Zehila Idol

Not necessary in my opinion, for the moment at least. They aren’t familiar enough with the language to have a full song in english. And every act that did it in the past is nowhere to be found atm, korean is part of the originality they give us, and GP is slowly but steadily listening and bopping to it

11. Nia_NCTZenlt3

Nia_NCTZenlt3 Super Rookie

Being a NCT trash can
    Oh Please no I actually like BTS and if they do an english release they would go pretty mainstream if they aren't already

12. Fyla

Fyla Rookie

French ARMY
    No way !!!!

They say it and repeat: they do not want to sing in English!

randomstrang3r and K_Pop_Captain like this.
  13. K_Pop_Captain

K_Pop_Captain Leader

Ah ok do they actually personally state this

14. illumination

illumination Trendsetter

But BIGBANG did release an all-english album back in 2008...? They remade all of their hits in English (including Lies, Last Farewell, and La La La) and also their first album released in Japan was a mix of original English and Japanese songs (including Always). Not to mention all of their individual collabs with international artists in English...so...
    [​IMG]

But I agree with everyone here - BTS should stick to releasing primarily songs in Korean because that's what all Kpop artists are best at, and why people are really interested in them in the first place :) Besides, have you seen the English lyrics to Mic Drop? Oooof, not their best moment...

K_Pop_Captain likes this.
  15. AmmaAffa

AmmaAffa Public Figure

Them being fluent in Korean instead of English and refusing to make a whole English album is not because they are kpop idols but simply because they are citizens of Korea who never learnt advanced English, except for RM.

PS: At least a majority of ARMY do not stan BTS just because they speak Korean. What's even the logic in that statement? If the members were fluent in English along with Korean there would have been much more variety in discography and bigger global reach.

Even the 'ooof' moment got them their first top 30 BB100 and a kickass performance. So hardly a waste.:cool:

randomstrang3r likes this.
  16. illumination

illumination Trendsetter

What I mean to say is, Korean is the native language of every BTS member (and of the majority of Kpop stars), so they're going to perform best with and feel most comfortable with Korean lyrics by default. Like I said before, BIGBANG made an entire album with English versions of their biggest earlier hits, but the majority of international/western fans still prefer the original Korean versions by a landslide because they quite frankly sound better. It's not that people are stanning Kpop idols because they're Korean - it's because they're making great music in Korean instead of forcing themselves to sing entirely in (sometimes uncomfortable, sometimes sub-par) English to appease global fans.

I actually really like BTS' Mic Drop (it's catchy af and I play it multiple times a week), but I cannot listen to the English version because the lyrics are just objectively not good in English - they flow better in Korean. Half of it isn't even in proper grammar and just sounds awkward in English :( This isn't to shade BTS or anything - lots of other groups struggle with pushing English lyrics, so I don't think they should do it unless they actively want to, not just in an attempt to expand.

Hopefully that clarified my stance from earlier. Again, not trying to shade BTS - sorry if it came across that way!

AmmaAffa likes this.
  17. 3RACHA

3RACHA Public Figure

ateez's annoying lesbian manager
    they're always participating in english speaking interviews and they'd flow alot more naturally and it'd show the boy's fun side more if they could speak english however some ppl are obsessed with the thought of "uHHHH thAtS tOO WeStErNiSeD"

18. risingtaeyang

risingtaeyang Super Rookie

No, oh just no.

They're doing fine singing in Korean, why mess things up. If anything, it'll just open them up to more criticism and it'll force the members who don't know english to do EVEN MORE than what they're doing right now...which is pretty much exhausting at the moment.

randomstrang3r likes this.
  19. JJBaker

JJBaker Trendsetter

I dont see them doing a full album but i could 100% seeing some members maybe full group doing 1 full english song collab but not a full album
    but it would be with someone big no small collab
    like Justin bieber or taylor swift kinda person

20. ListenToBadMusic

ListenToBadMusic Celebrity

they should at least learn to speak it if they are serious about making it in the US like their fans want. It'll only help.