Okay so what would make a kpop group go 'mainstream' in the west?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by PLKP, Aug 26, 2019.

1. PLKP

PLKP ✧・:* ❤️ Official Chief of Jin's Cult ❤️ ・:*✧

Currency:
    Also, what is your definition of 'mainstream'?

See, I feel like people confuse 'viral' and 'mainstream' all the time.

imo...

Viral - one or two songs that exploded with short lived popularity but you're lowkey a joke or at least people wouldn't really pay to see you.

Mainstream - getting airplay, household name, being looked back as a pop culture representative for years but most all of people KNOW your music - even listing albums instead of songs they liked.

So one person that obviously springs to mind as undoubtedly "mainstream" is Ariana Grenade, who I think is the most popular artist in the world rn. And any kpop group who collabs with her (even if its not the most promoted single)... well thats a monster of a PR machine in itself. Like who even needs Buzzfeed anymore.

Also, I know some of you will say BTS/Blackpink are already mainstream. I dont care lol. I just want to hear your suggestions about how to achieve mainstream..ness (or increase it).

Btw I am focusing on the west because this is obviously a great breeding ground for business. There's no need for a pensive rant about how "everyone always focuses on the west nowadays. THINK OF THE BLOODY MUSIC. I do okay. But kpop is like at its peak atm" :D

Xoxo7 and NovaLuna like this.
  2. LokisHorns

LokisHorns Celebrity

Currency:
    Ariana Grenade

Carat129, Queeeenie, PLKP and 2 others like this.
  3. HardcoreBLINK

HardcoreBLINK A-List

Currency:
    Ariana Grenade.
    Lol to answer your question if a K-pop group is to become mainstream
    They have to start releasing original Eng songs
    Not Eng Vers..
    Also few current groups can truly go mainstream as it's not just about the language..
    Too many members group won't cut it here
    Lack of fluent English speakers is obviously a huge disadvantage..
    Follow the western way of releasing music...(single-single-album-single)

Joshy0714, Carat129 and PLKP like this.
  4. keyboardwarrior7

Currency:
    I think if we could answer this question, companies would pay us a boat load of money.

In the end, I think the main answer is the same answer for most music business success. Luck. Being at the right place at the right time with the right sound and look.

NemuriNezumi, PLKP and Xoxo7 like this.
  5. NovaLuna

NovaLuna Trendsetter

Currency:
    "doctor"
    a magical place where my favs will never come fml
    I literally don't have a faintest clue. The first thing they should start with is English songs. But with excellent pronunciation.
    There is still such an uncalled for hate against Kpop. Mostly from ignorant and loud people that influence others with their sexist and racist comments against Kpop.

Queeeenie, PLKP, Xoxo7 and 1 other person like this.
  6. queenmeiqisfan

queenmeiqisfan Super Rookie

Currency:
    Going mainstream is not that important in the west. You can be mainstream a.f and still can't sell arena size venues. Having audience for music the artist put out is more important. Fans are more important then GP.

Also radio airplay is not mainstream it is MONEY.

PLKP, HardcoreBLINK and myaza like this.
  7. myaza

myaza Public Figure

Currency:
    Yes. Lets not forget that all these ancient rock bands still make more money due to stadium tours than all the little mainstream pop stars. Having a loyal audience is more important than being mainstream.

8. sl784

sl784 Super Rookie

Currency:
    Well, not be a kpop group actually. To be mainstream you need the full support from a label and no American label is going to fully invest in a group that isn’t fully entrenched in the American market. You can’t do both markets so you’ll have to abandon one. First, they have to promote heavily in the US and that doesn’t mean going to a few shows either. You have to be really invested. Second, their image must be American not Korean in any way. That means they much dress and act a certain way. That shy extremely polite attitude that Koreans love will have to go and they will be forced to release music in English so they have to be fluent.

Queeeenie, HardcoreBLINK and PLKP like this.
  9. Cold_Wave

Cold_Wave Rookie

Currency:
    getting regular plays on radio i think is the key. talk shows, interviews and articles do almost nothing in comparison.

PLKP and HardcoreBLINK like this.
  10. Skinny_penis

Skinny_penis Trainee

Currency:
    america is seriously still a racist place
    i dont think anything that not white is gonna be HUGE
    in the US
    kpop is treated like a joke and it only use is the money
    and veiws i doubt that kpop is gonna be seen more then that ​

11. rebelheart

rebelheart Super Rookie

Currency:
    Accent-free English + trendy or groundbreaking music. Kpop songs sung in English seems like it would work in theory, but it really doesn't. For example, Red Velvet's Velvet songs would make good English songs, but their Red songs (and all the cute/girl crush songs that other groups do) are impossible to sing in English without it sounding cheesy and dated. It's the same reason anime songs are hyper cringe in English. The popular sound in East Asia isn't really what Americans want

Joshy0714, HardcoreBLINK and PLKP like this.
  12. Carat129

Carat129 Newbie

Currency:
    I think viral could be the way to become mainstream.

And viral I mean everyone knows the song - then comes parodies, crazes and media attention.

PLKP likes this.
  13. mashimaroluff0

Currency:
    Viral: really popular really quickly because of one thing (song, video, meme) Ex: Rebecca Black, Gangnam Style, Old Town Road (let see how the next one does)
    Mainstream: break out popularity + replicate same success for succeeding releases + increased in popularity + stats + buzz (gossip about)
    (Taylor swift, Ed Sheeran, Adele, Beyonce, Ariana Grande, etc)

To be mainstream in the US, there are two routes:
    1. Big push from industry + an angle/story that stuck with the public
    2. Breakout song + recognized by the industry who then decide to push you + tons of collab to get name recognition + finally release something that is catchy that capture the public and is supported by the fans.

So for a kpop group to go mainstream, they need a story, or an angle, and someone in the industry to push them. Then we will see how the public react, if they like it, you got a mainstream artist. If they don't, you are shelved and the next one take your place.

PLKP likes this.
  14. mparserz

mparserz Trendsetter

Currency:
    Going mainstream in the west? Hit song that transcends language. Collabing with a famous artist might help. Maintaining popularity with the general public probably means eventually making music in English. Promoting oneself and doing interviews in English is significant as well.

HardcoreBLINK and PLKP like this.
  15. TwicePinkFriend

Currency:
    Beyonce and Hip hop are huge over here and they're not white lol. Just talking about music.......It's more like an aversion against any music that's not in English. There are exceptions of course (ai. Despacito, Gangnam Style, some Euro EDM, etc) but for the most part it's the English that's the barrier

PLKP likes this.