Official 2020 digital thread

Discussion in 'Achievements' started by Juanlag, Feb 11, 2020.

1. MassiveKpopFan

MassiveKpopFan Married to @njsjyghsjmthjk

Currency:
    Student
    Idol groups have grown to take over, why it's harder for groups to succeed digitally. too many vying for the biggest portion of the userbase

Juanlag and njsjyghsjmthjk like this.
  2. stan12345

stan12345 Trendsetter

Currency:
    It's also indicative of the users Melon is losing not being kpop fans as their (kpop groups) share of the platform/absolute followers number is moving in the opposite direction of the platform itself. It's becoming less and less representative and you wonder if Spotify will finally end it (though rights to songs will be a massive issue around this)

3. Juanlag

Juanlag Star

Currency:
    njsjyghsjmthjk likes this.
  4. njsjyghsjmthjk

njsjyghsjmthjk Married to @MassiveKpopFan

Currency:
  5. stan12345

stan12345 Trendsetter

Currency:
    I know it's not digital but any kind of similar update on the below data?

Jang Beom Jun's OST which has been doing stupidly well longevity wise seems to have been in the top 3 for the last few months (the song does sound like a prime karaoke song). Seems to correlate pretty well for non idol songs.

[​IMG]

6. Juanlag

Juanlag Star

Currency:
    I remember to see those around, but i'm pretty sure who makes these charts just do it with idol songs, if not we'd see songs like Yoon jong shin's Like it or Jang beom jung now completely destroying this chart.
    Anyway you can always check it week by week in Gaon's karaoke chart, but it's a bit boring and long yeah :/
    http://www.gaonchart.co.kr/main/section/chart/karaoke.gaon?nationGbn=T

7. stan12345

stan12345 Trendsetter

Currency:
    Yeah I was actually just curious about idols mainly a ithas been so rare in recent times for them to hit top 10 in it (though having an overall view of the records on that chart would have been interesting as well for all songs, just to see another facet of impact)

8. Juanlag

Juanlag Star

Currency:
    Talking by memory but i think no idol charted in the top 10 in the last year at least, unless you consider N flying an idol i think they charted some few weeks. I guess we won't get a decent update until some group release a really big hit that can chart for a while and they'll bother to update it.

njsjyghsjmthjk and stan12345 like this.
  9. stan12345

stan12345 Trendsetter

Currency:
    Cherry Blossom Ending back in the top 20 on Melon daily

Wonder how high it gets this year

njsjyghsjmthjk and Juanlag like this.
  10. Juanlag

Juanlag Star

Currency:
    I think it will peak this week, the other spring songs are still rising too so it might go a little higher, but i don't think more than top 15.

11. Juanlag

Juanlag Star

Currency:
    My girl Yuju recharting again :lover1:
    I think at this point it's almost confirmed it's the biggest 3rd gen idol solo song? I can't think of any other as big as this one, only Solo and and Don't might come close but the fact that Spring is gone by chance keeps recharting all the springs, being probably the 3rd biggest spring song just after Busker busker's and IU's (Maybe Bol4 too but i think this year is charting over Yuju because it was released just last year, it was close to the top 100 before spring) is insane.
    upload_2020-4-6_15-32-59.png

12. Juanlag

Juanlag Star

Currency:
    Updated! It seems MC the max will win March's song of the month easily, they just have to surpass Itzy that have average points, honestly MC the max released the only hit of the month. April is pretty empty for now too, Winner is rising but i don't think it will manage to top, MC Mong is releasing a collab tomorrow so we'll see how it goes.

Also we had 0 PAKs and roofhits since IU's OST which is a bit sad.

Also i realized about something related with streams so i'll make other post for it tagging some people~

Haolat and njsjyghsjmthjk like this.
  13. Juanlag

Juanlag Star

Currency:
    @njsjyghsjmthjk @stan12345 @MassiveKpopFan Just tagging some people more or less active here, feel free to ignore me LOL

Anyway i just realized, did any of you see these charts where they show what part of the market each stream service have? If i'm not wrong the last i saw said Melon had around a 30% of the market i'm not sure if any of you have seen it.
    The thing is, one of the few things Melon is transparent at is the daily streams since they show the ULs, in the source of the OP you can see the streams of Melon songs. But if you compare them with Gaon streams (the 100M certification) it doesn't make any sense. Blueming for example is at 59M streams in Melon now but it doesn't have the 100M certification yet. Same for songs like Fancy or Taeyeon's OST that are around 60ishM streams in Melon right now but they don't have the 100M certification in Gaon, this would be impossible if those charts are true.

So what do you think, is Melon lying about their numbers? Is Gaon lying about their numbers? Or are the charts lying (or maybe who makes them aren't doing it properly without any bad intention) and Melon still have most of the digital market?

14. MassiveKpopFan

Currency:
    Student
    ON was so damn close to a PAK the Sunday after it was released, but IU blocked them cause she had more ULs

15. MassiveKpopFan

Currency:
    Student
    I honestly don't know where the numbers are getting screwed up. I have seen those pie charts though. Interesting how Melon is losing a userbase to FLO. I wonder how Spotify is going to impact charting methodology if it does end up getting released there

16. stan12345

stan12345 Trendsetter

Currency:
    I reckon MC Mong will all-kill/PAK considering how his last release went and how empty the charts are. He's always been incredibly strong digitally

Haven't see the UL's of Winner yet but I agree, they will probably struggle to get to number one on Melon at night time because of BTS/EXO fans and during the day because of MC the max/MC Mong so no all kills.

Melon at 30% - is that an updated figure?

Last I saw was the November figure and they were essentially at 40%:

[​IMG]

But you're right - the certifications have been weird as hell for ages, groups getting 2.5m downloads before 100m streams is also odd. And honestly, without more context on how each app works it's difficult. Like do Koreans use a certain one to download music, and therefore even though the user base is high, it is proportionally skewed towards downloads and not streams? Therefore Melon is proportionally more of the streaming market relative to what the user-base %'s actually say? (i.e. people for some reason buy on iTunes but stream on Spotify)

What would be interesting (I'm not sure how you look at the stats/if they're even available) - is to compare the Unique Listeners to something like Zico's Any song which would have done well on all of them and he has no massive fandom, and see how much they differ between Melon, Genie and Flo. Then see if it works out similar to the market share numbers.

I don't want to just blame BG stans as GG's probably do the same, but Korea's market is extra stupid due to how many fans probably have accounts on all of them, with international fans trying to get in on the action as well. Melon has been the one kpop fans have always talked about so there's probably a load of dud accounts in there.

And I can't fully remember, but Melon do "alter" their streaming numbers and they never said how. If you remember Monster being the most streamed song on Melon and Genie in 2016, yet it was 60th on the Gaon year end digital chart and 55th on the Melon year end chart. So how numbers translates into what they provide Gaon, and then what Gaon does with those numbers, is a mystery. I think they're all wrong to an extent, with Gaon being the worse offender and least transparent

#76 stan12345, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  17. Juanlag

Juanlag Star

Currency:
    My bad it was 40% not 30%, but anyway it's the same, these songs with 60M streams in Melon should be at 150M in Gaon if the proportion is real and they aren't even at 100M.

Any song is currently at 50,7M streams in Melon (with streams i mean, adding the ULs of each day which is what they should report to Gaon, and which is what this page does https://xn--o39an51b2re.com/melon/yearly/2020/) So it should have reached the 100M streams in Gaon too, and be at around 120-130M.

All fandoms are the same dumb imo LOL, but yeah bg fandoms are bigger so they have bigger influence. I thought that maybe the ''market share'' is the number of users of each streaming service, and since a lot of idol fans have accounts in all of them just to stream eventually to their favs that makes the ''market share'' closer, but most of the gp is still using Melon so even if they've just a 40% of the users proportionally they could still have a 60-70% of the streams.

And about that Monster thing, i think it was that it was the most streamed song in the realtime chart, but not with the ULs. That was before Melon not counting the charts during night, so EXO-LS streamed Monster 24 times each day, but each user just counts once to the ULs and ULs is what they give to Gaon and what they use for the other charts, so a song can be streamed way many more times than what the charts show when they've a big fandom listening to the song each hour to make it chart higher in the realtime chart. If i'm not wrong the streams Genie show are these streams, and not the ULs, that's why Kokobop was the most streamed song on Genie for a long time too.

stan12345 and njsjyghsjmthjk like this.
  18. baejoohyunniee

baejoohyunniee Super Rookie

Currency:
    yea ikr! like take the example of psycho which probably has around 38 M (2019 8 days which were 650 to 700 k ULs which is around 5M added) on Melon and 34M on genie thats a total of 72 M and we dont even know about FLO or the other charts which r smaller but still. Like if a song like psycho which did well and charted well is reaching high numbers and probably should get 100 M very soon, then what about the rly big hits like meteor and blueming (50M on genie alone) and anysong as well obv. i think its probably due gaon not counting every stream or some bots or smth that they have that detects that sort of usage but we can never know. also fishy about bad boy being the first idol group title to reach 2,5 M dls without 100 m streams (doesnt make sense even with a very streaming non focused fandom as reveluvs) its just odd to me lol. also do u think 2020 can get better or is it a slow decline till spotify comes over and reigns supreme lol. the charting this year is so bland and even 2019 had smth by this point lol (gotta go 4seasons ktl bwl bom etc lol)

Juanlag likes this.
  19. njsjyghsjmthjk

Currency:
  20. njsjyghsjmthjk

Currency: