Official 2020 digital thread

Discussion in 'Achievements' started by Juanlag, Feb 11, 2020.

1. MassiveKpopFan

MassiveKpopFan Married to @njsjyghsjmthjk

Currency:
    Student
    it got like 946 million

baejoohyunniee and Juanlag like this.
  2. worldlove27

worldlove27 Leader

Currency:
    I kinda want to see an updated Version of this list. But gosh spring day is impressive considering that those digital points are all 2018 and later and none from 2017........

Juanlag and MassiveKpopFan like this.
  3. MassiveKpopFan

Currency:
    Student
    BTS has actually crossed 12 billion digital index points as a whole. As of last week I think

Juanlag and worldlove27 like this.
  4. stan12345

stan12345 Trendsetter

Currency:
    The lack of transparency around digital points and how they're calculated, and Gaon in general, is pretty ridiculous.

The gaps in certifications are too large for any meaningful look

A song with 2,500,001 downloads will have the same certification as one with 4,999,999. It's stupid.

Juanlag likes this.
  5. worldlove27

worldlove27 Leader

Currency:
    Thats actually so true....

Juanlag and MassiveKpopFan like this.
  6. MassiveKpopFan

Currency:
    Student
    I'd prefer the idea of after every 1 million downloads, a new certification should be given. More accurate

baejoohyunniee and Juanlag like this.
  7. stan12345

stan12345 Trendsetter

Currency:
    Exactly - it doesn't even need to be a certification per se if they deem 2.5m and 5m as significant milestones so they keep official certifications for that. Just the acknowledgement that a song has reached a million increment is all they'd need to do to make it much more useful and transparent.

Because I assume showing downloads numbers in its entirety is never going to happen again which I reckon it was due to the labels issues with music services and how much they were getting paid. Usually when someone is paying you royalties there'd be a clause in the contract that the person giving a license to someone to use their product can audit the numbers of the licensee whenever. I wonder if that's a thing in SK like it is in the US/UK.

8. Juanlag

Juanlag Star
    Moderator .

Currency:
    Buddy gang
    Refering to this again, i'd like to mention that this fandom streaming is not possible to stop, if 50k people want to keep listening to a song everyday, even if it's not a hit, the numbers will show otherwise, the charts can remove the realtime charts but the ULs are the streams that the charts report to Gaon and that can't change. And i guess the worst thing about this is that it's impossible to measure it exactly, the biggest fandoms have reached a point that are powerful enough to do almost what they want tbh. I thought that Genie ULs could be a good reference but thinking about it a lot of ULs could be of people checking the song because it was in the chart but they don't really listen to it more, it's impossible to get an accurated review of the streams right now.

Which lead us to, until when are fandoms are going to keep growing? Because it's insane at this point, they've been growing non stop for like 15 years, when Snsd released The boys it seemed no one was going to beat that, then Exo came and it seemed they were the strongest fandom ever, but then BTS came and now we have a lot of fandoms as strong as Exo-ls back then. I doubt any group will be stronger than BTS in terms of fandom, but the overall power of the fandom has to reach a peak sometime, and it's taking way longer than i thought tbh.

I remember when they said they were going to give just the 2,5M certifications, for reference in that moment i think we had like 6? songs with more than 2,5M downloads after the price change. If i recall correctly Friday, The meaning of you, Not spring love or cherry blossom, Some, Wild flower and finally Cheer up that reached it after it was announced i think, with the 2017 yearly chart. Not even huge songs like MGT or Bang bang bang had 2,5M downloads lmao. The market kept growing after that so downloads rose in 2018 and they confirmed songs that reached the number even after stop charting at least, it's still tragic but better than what i thought at first.

shiki01 and baejoohyunniee like this.
  9. Juanlag

Juanlag Star
    Moderator .

Currency:
    Buddy gang
    Damn i didn't expect to write this much sorry, i start writting about charts and i don't stop :nervousk:

baejoohyunniee likes this.
  10. baejoohyunniee

baejoohyunniee Trendsetter

Currency:
    just a local :mad: advocate
    i mean on is underperforming everywhere except on melon just like all the bsides etc

Juanlag likes this.
  11. Juanlag

Juanlag Star
    Moderator .

Currency:
    Buddy gang
    Yes but it will be around 10 in the Gaon digital yearly chart, so who's going to deny it being a huge hit? :whatr:

12. baejoohyunniee

Currency:
    we- LOL
    also idk how its gaining such a high index?? like is it cuz of streams cuz it got like 16 or 17M, and is outcharted by psycho on every chart except melon which is only getting like 11.5M rn its kinda weird tbh and ig it shows that they count total streams not uls, which makes me question how weak other boy groups are in fandom streaming cuz their digital index doesnt match this at ALL..

also imo the yearly download rate is way more accurate in terms of how long ago a song has been released in relation to its position,, and idrc about what mass twitter chart accs think lol

Juanlag likes this.
  13. baejoohyunniee

Currency:
    i rly like reading ur long analyses about charts :nervousk::nervousk:

Juanlag likes this.
  14. ronnietp

ronnietp Trainee

Currency:
    Yep, who are we to even tell twitter fans that it’s not a huge hit. If they say it’s a huge hit then it’s a huge hit!!!

Btw, I remembered there is a post about prediction in twitter about who will have a better chance in winning SOTY April, it answered “Nonstop”.
    But then one of the reply suddenly said: “Nah. It's Dumhdurumdum, they achieved all kill!!!”. And the next second, I was rolling on the floor laughing like a crazy person hahaha. Best joke I have seen in a while. It’s even better that it got so many likes...

15. stan12345

stan12345 Trendsetter

Currency:
    Dance Monkey has slowly been moving up Melon for months it feels like. 18th now.

Must be one of the slowest and longest inclines I've seen on Melon

Juanlag likes this.
  16. Juanlag

Juanlag Star
    Moderator .

Currency:
    Buddy gang
    I think a lot of international famous songs do more or less similar, i remember Havana for example, and last year 2002 but it was faster and peaked higher due to the performances in korea i guess. I'm not sure why in Korea they're always late for international hits, it's like if they start listening to them months after they peaked in the rest of the world.

17. baejoohyunniee

Currency:
    that is literally nothing dude LITERALLY

so like in 2018 i saw this post about soty rf vs signal and someone made a fake chart where they listed signal as having 1 BILLION GAON INDEX??? and they listed red flavors correct numbers (300M at the time) and then they were like haha look at this the numbers dont lie, for a second i actually believed him but i mean there was like 40 messages on that post alrdy saying what i was gonna say lol twitter stans are just...

but at the same time most of the chart accounts are best on twitter idk about u guys but i usually get my charts data from twitter and/or the official streaming websites and gaon lol

Daneyed and Juanlag like this.
  18. stan12345

stan12345 Trendsetter

Currency:
    So I saw that Lay from EXO is releasing an album on the 1st June - does it go onto Korean platforms or is it a Chinese only thing?

Juanlag likes this.
  19. Juanlag

Juanlag Star
    Moderator .

Currency:
    Buddy gang
    If i'm not wrong and it's like his previous albums, only China, he won't face Twice dw :p

20. Juanlag

Juanlag Star
    Moderator .

Currency:
    Buddy gang
    So with Roy kim and Punch doing way worse than expected, i guess IU or the last OST will top the rest of the week. Then Twice will come on Monday, and i personally think it's a good moment for the comeback at least for the first days. The song topping should be around 600k ULs which is decent but not something to block a big hit, and i have the feeling this Twice comeback will have a lot of anticipation because their hiatus was longer than expected, so i think they'll do pretty good this time. Longevity is a bit harder to predict specially with all the big comebacks we'll have in June and the Treasure solo debut, we'll see, it will be an interesting month for sure.