NEW FORUMS OPEN HERE

Of all the Kpop inspired groups debuting in Southeast Asia...

Discussion in 'Asian Entertainment' started by Uni909, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Uni909

Uni909 Trendsetter

Currency:
    Guardian of the WJSN system
    Only SB19 has gained success. Why is that they are doing so good while the rest kinda flops?

[​IMG]
    For years, South Korea’s pop music scene has been the buzziest in Asia, with K-pop acts regularly charting internationally and touring worldwide. Now, Filipino boy band SB19 is hoping to bring P-pop to the rest of the world, and taking some pages out of K-pop’s book to do so.

The company behind SB19, ShowBT Philippines Corp., is the local arm of South Korean company ShowBT, founded by Seong Han Geong (also known as Robin Geong). Formerly a comedian, Geong shifted his career from being an entertainer in South Korea’s media industry to entrepreneurship over a decade ago, and has been integral in attempting to apply the K-pop paradigm to SB19 in the hopes of the group achieving major impact across the globe.

“When I first visited the Philippines for market research five years ago, I noticed the Filipino fans' enthusiasm and energy for K-pop,” Geong says. “That, plus the advantage of them being fluent in English, opened an opportunity and possibility for overcoming K-pop’s weaknesses. Although the K-pop model is already well established, I wanted to create a new culture mixed with P-pop. So, SB19 is a new idol group with a unique style that is a result of localization.”

The group that ShowBT eventually formed handpicked its five members from among Filipino star hopefuls, many of whom were fans of K-pop artists. SB19 trained for three years, then released their first single “Tilaluha” back in 2018. They have been growing steadily since, with a handful of songs under their belt, including their coronavirus-inspired comfort song, “Ikako.”

“We have a sense of universality and we take something and utilize it to make something better out of it,” says SB19’s Sejun, about the group learning from K-pop artistic training and promotional elements. “What they have been doing in Korea, the K-pop idols there, they have this intensive training where you have to make your moves synchronized, you’re singing while you’re dancing and it’s really hard. To utilize that here in the Philippines is really great, because there are lots of talented Filipinos that are not given opportunity, so that we can show the talent of the Philippines all over the world.”

Though they’re run by a Korean company and draw inspiration from K-pop, SB19’s identity as a Filipino act is important to them, and they hope people recognize how distinctly Pinoy they are and not just an imitation of what a K-pop group could be when singing in another language.

“People have misunderstood us as a K-pop band, not a P-pop band,” says Josh. “But I think what’s more important is how our soul gets into our music. That’s what I think is the most important thing, how we express our music into the P-pop industry. There are a lot of Filipino talents that are under the radar, not just us, but there are a lot of Filipinos who deserve recognition. Maybe we can be one of the stepping stones where we can present Filipino talent to the entire world.”

Localizing the K-pop model isn’t necessarily new, with many South Korean entertainment companies launching acts aimed at the Japanese and Chinese markets over the years, but SB19 is the first based in the Philippines to see success, in part thanks to its social media presence, which has made them a regular on Billboard’s Social 50 chart, which is nowadays dominated predominantly by K-pop acts — and SB19. To maintain their buzz in social media spaces, the act regularly shares new content on their social accounts, and borrows from K-pop’s mention parties, or menpas, on their Twitter account, where fans can interact directly with them during a given time.

They’re still in their early days, but SB19’s already struggling, and the members have even spoken about breaking up at times. But they’re determined to move forward together, with the hopes of achieving their dream of bringing Filipino music and culture to the global media mainstream.

“Every country has their own culture of pop,” Sejun says. “What differs us from other countries is the soul we put in it. Everything that we’ve experienced in life, everything that influences us as an artist, our culture, our language, that’s what we [as SB19] put into our music, and we want to show that to the world.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/tamarh...orld-utilizing-the-k-pop-method/#3df1aec4cec5

taehyung-hobi likes this.
  2. dong-thefirst

Currency:
    yeah no i dont think it's that deep
    most communities with cult following of kpop especially females like it for the visuals specifically of koreans

3. JiminieKookie

JiminieKookie Professional ATEEZ and A.C.E stan

Currency:
    Park Junhee-stan| Stan A.C.E stan talent!
    yeah no.... you literally forgot about Produce 101.... I mean a whole ass JO1 exist in Japan. They do really good tho. Their debut single sold over 380K times, their second single was produced by Hui from Pentagon and they recently released a lighstick and soon bring out their first album and they seem to be so sucessfull in Japan that they promoted Nike-shoes and were invited to events of some brands like Gucci. Also both of their singles scored #1 on Oricon and Billboard

[​IMG]

Uni909 likes this.
  4. Lubby00

Lubby00 Worldwide Star

Currency:
    LYRA may apply to this too

They are BNK48’s new GG who have a Kpopesque concept, and they picked up some traction. Already 5M+ views in just a week of release

Peejay408 likes this.
  5. Lubby00

Lubby00 Worldwide Star

Currency:
    They’re talking about SEA. Japan is in EA

heartstar4812, shiki01 and Uni909 like this.
  6. bzzz

bzzz Rookie

Currency:
    5m with 3m+ of which through youtube ads? The MV gained less than 400k views in first 22 hours but skyrocketed to 1m at 29th hour and, the view plunged to less than 100k a day after a week. Also, peoples had shared screen cap of Lyra ads.

This group has nothing but budget to succeed, foolish boss, members of attitudes. It will flop, mark my word.

This thread is late. It's said the hype around that cheap boy group had been fading.

7. Uni909

Uni909 Trendsetter

Currency:
    Guardian of the WJSN system
    Groups in Southeast Asia.

8. haliya

haliya Newbie

Currency:
    law student
    lol they got successful because they're actually talented since they trained for 3-4 years

they're very in-sync, has stable vocals and humble, filipinos would choose talent than visuals any day plus when i've checked all other southeast asian boy groups, not one of them are in-sync and choreo so simple, so why would the locals support them if they can support kpop boy groups instead that are way more talented and in-sync

i've seen so many boy groups rise and fall in philippines because they're half baked but sb19 proved that locals will support if you actually give a kpop level performance live

so if other southeast asian groups want to get big in their country, then they better be as good, in sync and stable in vocals as kpop groups because kpop fans are the most demanding fans, they can see a half baked group a mile away

9. bzzz

bzzz Rookie

Currency:
    Lol.
    How do you know ALL boy groups in SEA though? You don't even know all groups in Thailand.

10. haliya

haliya Newbie

Currency:
    law student
    i do follow boy groups in thailand lol (the one i like the most is trinity but their dancing is not kpop level lmao) but they're not in sync at all, equivalent only to a 1st to 2nd yr kpop trainee, and a few of them are bl actors turned pop groups (training for years to be in pop group whomst?? lmfao) to milk in cash from bl fans, thailand boy groups go for visuals and mediocre dancing

#10 haliya, Nov 8, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  11. haliya

haliya Newbie

Currency:
    law student
    Anyway i think for southeast asian groups to actually penetrate their local market is that either:
    - they should be as talented as kpop groups (stable vocals + in sync dance + good choreo) or
    - they should provide something new that kpop groups dont have

if none of those options match then I am afraid they will never penetrate their local audience because why would the fans support them when they can support kpop groups instead that gives their fans 100% all the time. All these SEA groups would only have niche part of the entertainment market of their country and fade away after 1-2 years (or live longer but has no significant impact in their country)

this goes for trinity, d1verse and un1ty to name a few

--

another way to look at this too since i've noticed a lot of people in this site really thirsting for validation lol

i think it's way more important to build local fandom than international fandom, if you have solid local fandom the international fandom will eventually follow suit, look at japan group such as arashi whose been in the industry for years because they are loved by their local fans (japanese fans) and dont need validation from outside

this is what i like in supporting sb19, they aim to go globally in the future but their main focus is within the country and attracting local fans loyal enough to stay with them, it took awhile but they did gain and turn mainstream in ph, so whether they become big internationally or not, they have a big local fandom behind their back and that's enough in my point of view

#11 haliya, Nov 8, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  12. bzzz

bzzz Rookie

Currency:
    So, you only know Trinity and few Thai BL boy groups and you claimed you knew every single boy groups in Thailand? :teeheek:

You clearly didn't know these groups.

They needed only a year to outdance your guys.

Members of this group were trained for 1-2 years

This group was trained like 10 months. (They sounded pretty bad live though.)

Neither you knew these groups from Myanmar.

By the way, 4nologue's incubating some boys. Dancers in this video were 4nologue's trainees.

#12 bzzz, Nov 9, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  13. hardcorebj

hardcorebj Public Figure

Currency:
    Ending your Delusions
    I'm really shocked to see how SB19 could chart on BBS50 tho, like I only know one person in our school who is a fan of SB19

14. kimhamin

kimhamin Celebrity

Currency:
    It's actually amazing how great they're doing even when people make fun of them all the time.

They actually have talent compared to most popular boy groups debuting here so kudos to them.

15. haliya

haliya Newbie

Currency:
    law student
    lol they're not even in sync, needs more practice in dancing lol

16. haliya

haliya Newbie

Currency:
    law student
    try to watch BINI too, will debut next year, they're crazily in sync

hardcorebj likes this.
  17. bzzz

bzzz Rookie

Currency:
    Neither SB19 was so?

18. haliya

haliya Newbie

Currency:
    law student
    sb19 still better than all the thai pop idols when it comes to synchronization lol, even the two myanmar pop boy groups are better in dancing than thai pop groups

19. bzzz

bzzz Rookie

Currency:
    They aren't. You sounded like you were blind.