NEW FORUMS OPEN HERE

New Girl group debut, Lyra "Lyra"

Discussion in 'Asian Entertainment' started by bzzz, Oct 7, 2020.

1. bzzz

bzzz Rookie

Currency:
  2. TheManBug

TheManBug Rookie

Currency:
    Ren's Hypemans
  3. nobody4444

nobody4444 Trainee

Currency:
    Lyra is a sub-unit of the Thai Idol girl band BNK48 (Bangkok48).

The style of Lyra looks badass mature.

I am really curious how popular this group is going to become in the future.

If Lyra becomes really popular, might there be a chance that the other sister groups of the AKB48 Group might create their own bad ass mature sub-unit ?

Do you think that it might help the Vietnamese Idol girl band SGO48 (Saigon48), the Indonesian Idol girl band JKT48 (Jakarta48) and the Filipino Idol girl band MNL48 (Manilla48) who are not doing very well ?

Indonesia has a population of about 267 million people.
    Malaysia has a population of about 32 million people.
    Indonesian and Malay can understand each other mostly so if you combine the numbers it makes about 300 million people.

The Philippines has a population of about 109 million people.

Vietnam has a population of about 96 million people.

Thailand has a population of about 66 million people.
    Laos has a population of about 7 million people.
    Thai and Laotian can understand each other mostly so if you combine the numbers it makes about 73 million people.

The Chinese Idol girl band SNH48 (Shanghai48) has already 2 bad ass mature sub-units called 7Senses and Demoon.

6 April 2017 :
    SNH48 7SENSES Debut MV《Girl Crush》 :

26 April 2017 :
    SNH48 7SENSES TITLE《7Senses》MV :

6 December 2017 :
    SNH48 7SENSES《Like a Diamond(闪耀)》MV正式版 :

20 April 2020 :
    SNH48《KiKi's secret(秘密)》MV正式版 :

25 September 2018 :
    SNH48 7SENSES 中秋特别版《Moonlight》 :

19 December 2019 :
    SNH48 7SENSES《New Plan》 戴上我的皇冠 摧毁那些不堪 Got A New plan ▎ MV正式版 :

12 September 2019 :
    SNH48 DEMOON《Fox》官方版MV全网上线 :

The Filipino Idol girl band MNL48 has financial issues due to a bad management team that you can clearly see with the poor quality of their music videos especially if you compare them with the versions of their sister groups :

[MV] KOISURU FORTUNE COOKIE | AKB48 - JKT48 - SNH48 - BNK48 - MNL48 - SGO48 | COMPARISON :
    JKT48 was pretty big in their first 3-4 years (appeared a lot on tv and cm) then it's start going downhill. They seem still to have loyal fans to keep them relevant though. I can say there's definitely a lot more K-pop fans than Japanese pop culture, the weebs are vocal though and there's quite a lot casual who like Japanese stuff despite not being otaku.
    It was huge around late 2011 to 2013. Starring in many commercials, got the theater fully occupied, and appeared a lot on TV.

Perhaps, the reason of why they were so popular back then was because Indonesia experienced a boyband-girlband boom during the late 2000's to early 2010's. The number of boyband-girlband during that time was huge. Entering 2013, the boom has ended and the number has been diminished, with JKT48 as the only surviving remnants of that boom, thanks to them being a local 'subsidiary' of AKB48 which has been popular for quite a long time.

Now JKT48 is crumbling. Their most famous members are graduating one by one, and perhaps their most popular idol, the 'face' and 'icon' of JKT48, Nabilah Ayu just resigned from JKT48 4 days ago. I can see them disbanded in 1 year.

The another new talent has came. Now, the trends of girlband boyband or singer idol has faded away. Now solo artist has been new trends in Indonesia. Isyana Sarasvati, Rizky Febian is one of them.
    A lot of stuff in Indonesia are based on a ‘hype’ system. This applies not just to JKT 48, but also other stuff, such as restaurants, movies, events, music, etc.

When your friend starts to talk less and less about JKT 48 then you will do the same too. So it’s a chain effect. You add that with a newer and sexier pop group in town and people will move on and ditch you.

Building a brand loyalty in a culture like Indonesia is god damn tough. We are a culture of herds. Like a bunch of sheep being directed by our shepherds to always move to a certain direction. Majority of the people lacks integrity and can be easily manipulated to some certain extent. People are easily convinced here. Hence why there’s a lot of frauds and deceptions, etc..etc. The fraud scheme ‘mama minta pulsa’ obviously still works after all these years being reported by various news portal.

But yea, JKT 48 is just another ‘duo serigala’, ‘sinta vs jojo’, ‘norman the police who can sing'. Their hype just happen to last slightly a bit longer than the examples I mentioned above.

I think it just a normal things happen in Indonesia. There is always a moment something really popular "lagi zamannya/lagi naik daun" and decline afterward.

People in Indonesia tend to really like something or just follow the trend "ikut-ikutan" and then get bored or not interested anymore.

Indonesia in general has this habit of following trends. They just consume what is popular because it is popular, not because they actually like it.

Interesting summation, as one thing in common both countries have is a strong affinity towards K-pop, its extremely pretty members, and their equally large fanbases.

The difference between MNL48 and JKT48 is that the former is experimenting with a completely radical method of selecting would-be members through online voting, and the local TV broadcaster (and media partner ABS-CBN) has taken to see it as a "talent search" (much to the offense of the small fanbase) rather than what one friend called "talent development"; the prevailing view towards MNL48 is rather lukewarm, largely because asides from strong K-pop bias, the concept of an "idol" here in the Philippines is traditional as in talented in high-pitched singing ala Whitney Houston.

Is MNL48 popular? I went to their exclusive event (Seitansai) to see how well known they are!

In order to know the popularity of MNL48, I participated in their “Birthday Festival” or “Seitansai” last October 2018.

Last January 2017, I saw a billboard about “MNL48 START” at the airport in Manila.

It took time to recruit but it finally started this year.
    In Japan, some people say “MNL48, Philippine version of Japan’s AKB48 has many ugly members.”
    Also in China, people there say “Ugliness of MNL48 is one of popular topics in Japan”.
    So how do the Filipinos react to this all girl group?

Finally, they started performing on TV, radio, and Youtube,
    I went to the birthday festival or “Setainsai” last October 2018 to see MNL48’s reputation, popularity, and what lies ahead for them in the future.

To conclude, MNL48 is still “a rising star”. Let’s see why as I summarized the points.

Let’s see the ticket sales situation through this post on MNL48’s official Facebook page.

October 5, 22:00: Announcement of the birthday festival (October)
    October 12, 22:39: Post that VIP Tickets are sold out!
    October 13, 20: 28: News about few regular seats remaining.

·VIP ticket sold out was a fact.
    ·The regular seat was almost empty during the event.

Selected members (Senbatsu) also decided to appear.

The selected members are 16 of the 48 TOP members.
    Sheki, the number 1 member would also appear.
    But why did they only announce at the last day of the event?
    If it was announced that popular members would come at the event earlier, don’t you think that more people would come?

By the way, these are my guesses as to why the announcement was late:
    · Delay in notice due to mistake by the management of MNL 48
    · The schedule of the radio and television program etc. might have been hurriedly canceled.
    · Celebrants (members that has birthday in October) did not attract guests so they decided to include the other members in the program.

Whether the delay of the announcement had an impact or not, we got a disappointing result.

As mentioned above, there was a statement that says that they will start accepting at 9 o’clock” in the e-mail, but at 9:23 am…

It was still closed. It is Filipino time. (^ ^;;)
    But there were about 23 people waiting.

Since the total number of fans was 68 during 12 o’clock at the start of the event,
    A third of them comes before the start time, it means that fans were really enthusiastic to see MNL48!

The VIP seats were packed with about 60 people,
    There were eight people in regular seats where 72 people can sit.
    Moreover, although it is not written on the simple map on the top ↑,
    In the surrounding area there was a table that could accommodate 50 to 75 people.
    Because those tables were not used, the lights in that area had disappeared,
    It is a position where the stage can be seen, and it seems that it was available for guests as well.

It is supposed that there were 68 customers in the venue where 180 to 210 people can be accommodated.

The October 2018 birthday festival had few sales. (Approximately 68 people attendance at the venue where 180 to 210 people can be accommodated)
    · Management has room for improvement.
    · Performance and members have shown professionalism. MNL48 has a potential to become a popular idol group.
    · Members and the management have a vision or goal to perform in the world’s largest arena.

Sources :
    https://www.quora.com/Is-JKT48-actually-popular-among-indonesians#!n=12
    https://www.quora.com/Why-has-JKT48s-popularity-declined-since-mid-2013
    https://philippinity.online/mnl48-reputation-english-240

The Vietnamese Idol girl band SGO48 (Saigon48) is not doing well at all because Vietnamese groups are not popular in Vietnam.
    The Vietnamese prefer solo singers.

Here is the last music video of the number 1 Vietnamese singer M-TP :
    5 July 2020 :
    SƠN TÙNG M-TP | CÓ CHẮC YÊU LÀ ĐÂY | OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO : 104 million views

Here is the last music video of the number 1 Vietnamese group UNI5 :
    15 September 2020 :
    UNI5 | NÓI DỐI CẢ THẾ GIỚI VÌ EM | Official MV : 3 million views

Here is the last music video of the Vietnamese Idol girl band SGO48 (Saigon48) :
    18 September 2020 :
    【Official MV】Shonichi - Ngày Đầu Tiên | SGO48 : 163 000 views :

Here is the last music video of the number 2 Vietnamese singer Jack :
    22 September 2020 :
    Jack | Hoa Hải Đường | Official Music Video : 63 million views :

Some Vietnamese fans have commented on Facebook that they think that the quick poorly cheaply made Shonichi music video of SGO48 has been made as a "tribute" for the first generation of SGO48 and probably the last generation of SGO48 as they think that SGO48 is going to end soon as their company has not announced a date for the audition for the members of the second generation of SGO48.
    Do Filipino prefer solo singers over groups now ?

I have heard that the Thai Idol girl band BNK48 is doing pretty well in the past but is BNK48 going now ?

I have heard that the the Chinese Idol girl band SNH48 is doing pretty well in the past but how popular is SNH48 going now ?

#3 nobody4444, Oct 8, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  4. bzzz

bzzz Rookie

Currency:
    I don't have high expectation for Lyra. It has a serious irrecoverable flaw, its member lineup. Members do not have cohesive image. Cute New looked out of place in this concept with her absence of fierceness and Pun was outstandingly tomboy-ish. Also, they are 2 problematic members, Jennis who believes being sincere means saying everything in her mind regardless how controversial it is and already turned some fans to former fans due to political expression, and Niky, who is pessimistic and short-tempered. I'm also iffy about the main promoter of this project, Paul from Universal Music Thailand. He's been so proud of all things about Lyra and believes the group can sell internationally. He should be proud of the fruit of his effort but, he did not seem to see that it was a big room for improvement in many areas and the performance of the group still was way below K-pop standard.

The group has received fair interest from local K-pop fans community but, the impression is not strong enough to turn them into fans of the group. Likely because the group is "good for T-pop" and not K-pop standard. The group still is mainly supported by BNK48's wota. It is laughable that BNK48's fans talked down on Ally saying she got only 23 million views and her public recognition was poor despite heavy promotion but Lyra, with equally heavy promotion and Youtube ads buying, likely will get only half of Ally's views (~10 million) and even poorer public recognition.

Anyway, Lyra already has more releases in store. The song it feat with a foreign Asian artist will be dropped by the end of this month and the group's second single by the end of the year.

MNL48's Baby Blue unit already is the sign that sister groups will get their non-J-pop-idol-ish units regardless of Lyra. Both MNL48 and BNK48 already have had plans to debut more units. Only effect Lyra may have on other sister groups is to encourage them to release more/to invest more on units. Even the popularity of AKB48 or the lack of it does not have strong impact on oversea sister groups.

Indonesia and Malaysia don't get along. I guess this is why JKT48 has never properly promoted in Malaysia. Also, if I understand correctly, rarely any famous Indonesia singer get massively popular in Malaysia.

The Laotian population is poor and small thus, negligible market. You have to take purchase power, not population size into consideration.

I read that SNH48 had changed its policy and disbanded its units. Demoon might have been disbanded as I saw nothing after its debut single released over a year ago. 7Senses must have been disbanded as 4 members have graduated from SNH48.

I read that a factor to JKT48's quick fall was the quick loss of top members. Almost all top members left within 3 years. The group also has been hammered by Islamic squads. I don't think JKT48 will die soon. The group has managed to hang in there for years because its agency is an affiliate of a giant Japanese media agency, Dentsu. A million dollar a year to conserve JKT48 is nothing for the size of Dentsu. Dentsu may find its way to lay its hand on Cool Japan money. The group also may get some support from SKE48, who has announced a partnership with JKT48.

It's more accurate to say that Philippines has no concept of "idol" that they just see idol as singer and judge them on the same standard.

Has SGO48 not already done audition for River senbatsu? The new recruitment makes no sense considering SGO48's current situation. I won't think much about the absence of it.

The Filipino doesn't prefer soloist over group now but always. Only group that got popular in years is SB19.

BNK48 has been clearly in a decline state. The size of its fandom shrinks after every election. Its must have not fallen this fast have the quality not been this poor, poor music production, poor qualities of merchandises, poor performance levels of members, poor MV, poor customer services etc.

I don't know much about SNH48. I guess it has a sizable niche market but not really interested by the public. In a Produce knock-off survival show, a top member of SNH48 member said she joined the show because, however big she was in SNH48, the group was simply a small pond. The response from fellow contestants in We Are Blazing suggested the public knew a girl group of so many members called SNH48 existed but knew nothing about the group beyond that. The group must have been more popular after much media exposure but, I don't know how much.

nobody4444 likes this.
  5. VVisual

VVisual Super Rookie

Currency:
    I like that BNK48 is experimenting with new KPOP-style subunits. Something that SNH48 did early on with 7Senses.

SNH48's popularity in China is probably greater than AKB's in Japan these days, especially after the YWY2 and Chuang 2020 shows. Star48 also has a drama division that puts a lot of their girls into public limelight.

[​IMG]

6. VVisual

VVisual Super Rookie

Currency:
    7Senses is going with 5 and just put out a pretty a pretty well-recieved EP "The Shadows" recently. They might even be better known now with members on The9 and the Bon Bon Girls.

7. nobody4444

nobody4444 Trainee

Currency:
    The Vietnamese Idol girl band SGO48 (Saigon48) have made a new show called "Senbatsu Battle" where the members of SGO48 have to compete to be able to appear on the music video "River" which is going to be released in the future.

After that, the selected members have to compete to be selected as the center of the music video "River".

The show has been completed and the winners who are going to appear on the music video "River" and the winner of the center selection have all been revelead during the show.

I hope that the sub-units with a different style could make those groups more popular but I really doubt that it will make them a lot more popular.

17 September 2020 :
    [MV Full] Sweet Talking Sugar / Baby Blue :

The music video of the more mature looking sub-unit of the Filipino Idol girl MNL48, Baby Blue, looks very cheap especially the last scene where it looks really more like cheap a dance practice video. If they don't make music videos with a higher quality then I doubt that It will ever get popular.
    Lyra need to change some things but I have more hope into Lyra than in Baby Blue.
    I would be be very curious to see sub-unis with a more mature style for the Vietnamese Idol girl band SGO48 (Saigon48) and the Indonesian Idol girl band JKT48 (Jakarta48) just to see how the Vietnamese and the Indonesian public is going to react to it and to see if it will be popular or not.

8. bzzz

bzzz Rookie

Currency:
    I already knew crappy "Senbatsu Battle" existed.

XXX48 is not where you should lay your hope for a more badass and skilled group on. The person more performance/music driven would not import 48 format in the first place.

The name "Baby Blue" should already tells you its concept is not mature and the song sounds teeny pop. MNL48 is a desperate group. Of course, everything out of it is cheapass.

Definitely, neither SGO48 nor JKT48 can launch a kickass dance oriented girl group half as good as K-pop so, it won't be well-received.

Everything in the spoiler still is loaded just like unspoiled one. So, please refrain from posting too much in spoiler.

Dance practice video to celebrate the success of ads buying and to show off crappy choreography and lame dance skills.

#8 bzzz, Oct 10, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    nobody4444 likes this.