Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

[NB] Hyoyeon opens up about never getting center

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by crispina_aguilera, Jun 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. crispina_aguilera

full time tiffany pollard stan
    Source
    [​IMG]
    Article: 'Secret Unni' Hyoyeon, "I was really angry during my SNSD days for always being the side instead of the center"

Source: Newsen via Nate

1. [+526, -35] Honestly, despite being the best dancer in the group, she was always placed in the back for her looks and had to suffer through weird nicknames for it. I get why she was mad. Other comments are saying she has no shame to be complaining about that but she never said it was unfair, just that it angered her. That's a totally acceptable emotion.

2. [+406, -38] She deserved center for her dance skills alone, she was that good

3. [+318, -27] Who wouldn't cover the center spot...? Hyoyeon's just being honest. It's great that they shared though ㅎㅎ

4. [+121, -89] She's a lot prettier now but her nickname used to be Hyorc back then. She has no right to be mad.

5. [+65, -5] I remember she talked about this on 'Happy Together' a long time ago. She said she was used to being famous since her choding trainee days for her dancing and she was confident in it... only to end up debuting and being treated as the side member while dealing with criticisms about her looks. That would upset anyone.

6. [+29, -19] Let's get one thing straight, Hyoyeon-ah... being a good dancer would make you a back dancer, not a singer ㅡㅡ

7. [+23, -5] She's not pretty like Yoona, not a good singer like Taeyeon... She needs the bare basics as a singer which is to sing well. A good dancer is just a dancer, not a singer. If you can't sing, at least be pretty like Yoona but she's neither this or that. Why would she deserve center?

8. [+17, -4] She should be grateful she got into SNSD at all, how could she say this... now that makes me mad. Why would she get center just for being a good dancer?

9. [+17, -23] They gave Hyorc a role as an SNSD member and now she's the one who's mad ㅋㅋ...

10. [+15, -3] Let's be real... if you were SM's CEO and your job was to make money, why would you give Hyoyeon center when you have a member like Yoona? There is no financially sound reason to put Hyoyeon as center over Yoona...

11. [+15, -4] Honestly, for girl groups, it doesn't matter how talented you are in singing or dancing, it's all about the visuals... visuals are 80% of center roles

12. [+14, -5] Center ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ she's greedy

13. [+13, -7] Didn't SNSD get famous for Yoona and Taeyeon? The other members had that homely, girl-next-door vibe... Sunny and Hyoyeon should be grateful they got into SNSD at all...

14. [+11, -2] Why whine about it when you were just never good enough for the position?

15. [+11, -2] Well her face back then looked very different from now... honestly, she wasn't fit for anything but the side... hmm..

mayaknows, Ramasson, aima_L and 3 others like this.
  2. Hayi

Hayi Married to @renjunnie

uwuing
    Some of the comments are why I dislike KPop, all people do is drag idols, no matter how hard they work.

3. Okaypop

Okaypop Rookie

11. [+15, -4] Honestly, for girl groups, it doesn't matter how talented you are in singing or dancing, it's all about the visuals... visuals are 80% of center roles

this applies to boy groups as well though

4. yeesam

yeesam Newbie

Kpop = pretty

Ramasson likes this.
  5. seungriseyo

seungriseyo Celebrity

honestly if i was sm i wouldnt give hyoyeon center position either. this is a business, not an NGO
    however if i was hyoyeon id feel kinda upset too
    so i can understand both sides

6. kimjisoo

kimjisoo Public Figure

Jisoo's bitch
    doesn't matter as long as blackpink is in my area
    Choke

Ramasson and Babybluehun0327 like this.
  7. choi_yuna_bias

Buddy
    That's the sad reality. At least she had the center position during dance breaks.

Anyone know how Hyoyeon did with her latest solo?

#7 choi_yuna_bias, Jun 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    kimjisoo likes this.
  8. I_am_scythe

I_am_scythe Trainee

A statement of how looks are so important for Koreans... (not all)

9. perpetualpotato

perpetualpotato Notable

1. [+526, -35] Honestly, despite being the best dancer in the group, she was always placed in the back for her looks and had to suffer through weird nicknames for it. I get why she was mad. Other comments are saying she has no shame to be complaining about that but she never said it was unfair, just that it angered her. That's a totally acceptable emotion.

And my faith is restored again, for a while at least lol
    Considering how long she was treated as the 'weird one', she's held her composure really well. It's not even that she was particularly bad looking, just that she was surrounded by a bunch of visuals.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now if SM had styled her in more flattering ways maybe she wouldn't have been seen as the ugly one, but they had to fill the token spot.

10. BritishSone

BritishSone Memorable

Seulgi & Taeyeon fanboy
    I went on a rant last year because their former stylist was a fucking bitch to Hyoyeon throughout the years saying that Hyo wasn't as nice to style as the others.....
    This was something that Hyo cried about when SNSD appeared on Happy Together last summer

11. realangel

realangel Public Figure

Gassing my faves tf UP
    She had legend dance breaks but not enough... smh Hyo of corse deserves better

mayaknows, legendjekki and rindal123 like this.
  12. choi_yuna_bias

Buddy
    By the way this really caught my attention

5. [+65, -5] I remember she talked about this on 'Happy Together' a long time ago. She said she was used to being famous since her choding trainee days for her dancing and she was confident in it... only to end up debuting and being treated as the side member while dealing with criticisms about her looks. That would upset anyone.

You're appreciated for your talents as a trainee because you have to prove yourself in order to debut but after you debut is really a different story.

13. Soulless_Senpai

Soulless_Senpai Celebrity

Sana eobsin, Sana mana
    Even in the rare times she was in the center leading a dance break or something, the camera never focussed on her much. Hyo has every right to be pissed.

I also don't see how she's ugly. She's sexy af.

14. yeesam

yeesam Newbie

15. WhiteWadeWilson

Neverlander
    Its normal to be upset about it but then again props to her as well as SM tbh giving her chance to be a soloist, and she did great so far

mysteric_16 and ThisGuy like this.
  16. anat4ever

anat4ever Notable

shortest AKP user
    Are they telling her to have gotten PS from the start or are they pretending that Yoona didn't get PS and Hyoyeon just didn't work hard enough to be pretty?

17. kimjisoo

kimjisoo Public Figure

Jisoo's bitch
    doesn't matter as long as blackpink is in my area
    i agree with the styling like sometimes they made her look so terrible. Also tbh some of the surgery was so not needed and the constant blonde hair is kinda over to me. like she looked fine during the gee era al she had to was fix those eyebrows

18. Peaches_Rose

Peaches_Rose Public Figure

Professional daydreamer
    although i see her point. after so many years it must hurt. but one time hyoyeon said sth like i dont care where i stand- front, back, centre or side as long as i can stand on stage and do what i love. the two statements are contradictory.

#18 Peaches_Rose, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    ThisGuy likes this.
  19. ychofficial

ychofficial Notable

During her part in Hoot she is the center part. Now stop crying

Peaches_Rose likes this.
  20. SowonderfulBlue

I can kinda get where Hyoyeon is coming from but what does she expect being in a group with 8 other members? I feel like Hyoyeon's position throughout her career was alright for her in the group, it's not entirely true that she NEVER got center. There were quite a few times she was and even given the spotlight/dance break. And while the comments are unnecessarily nasty, the point is that Hyoyeon really doesn't really excel at anything else to be highlighted more than any other member. She's not as ugly as they claim, but there's just a gap of the visual level between her and most of her members as well as her vocal ability. She's not a great rapper and while she has good charisma, it's nothing beyond outstanding for a main dancer when you compare her to other mains who stand out in their own group.

This is quite an unpopular opinion, but I personally don't find Hyoyeon appealing as an idol and SM never really had a reason beyond her one outstanding talent to push her beyond the other members who had few to several more reasons. That is the toughest thing about being in a large group, you have to compete with your fellow members. BUT, I will say this. SM and their employees hardly helped her case. I feel like they could have tried harder in giving her opportunities (which they are making up for more recently with all her activities) and especially her styling. She always got the worst styling and it seemed like the stylists could never conjure up anything for her like they could for the other girls. That plays a huge role in how she's looked at and perceived, but even so, it must be tough having to figure that out.

While how SM handled her is a huge factor in her popularity or lack thereof, I feel like the biggest thing that people don't look at is just plainly being put in a large group filled with other beautiful and talented women who not only have just as much to offer, but for some, even more. SNSD would obviously not be who they are without any of the members, but I feel like Hyoyeon might have thrived and done better either in another group or just another career path. But she's also lucky to be a part of something huge and helped create that. It's natural for someone in her position to harbor all that anger and resentment, but I also feel like she really needs to let it go because I feel like it's too often now that I see an article about how all that anger and resentment and it just makes one bitter to hold on to that.

emanresu, _Venus and kimjisoo like this.