Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

My Unpopular Kpop Opinions

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by BTS_FanboyGuy, Jun 13, 2018.

1. BTS_FanboyGuy

BTS_FanboyGuy Entertainer

Hello AKP users! Recently a lot of people have been making unpopular Kpop opinions, so I just decided to jump on the bandwagon. If you are a butthurt Kpop fan please leave. Hope you enjoy!

1. I like BTS’s old music a lot better

I got into BTS in 2014, when they had songs like Boy In Luv, Danger and War of Hormone. Their concepts back then were really bad boy and hardcore and I really liked their style. I loved their Skool Luv Affair and Dark & Wild albums. Their old music was something different from other Kpop boy groups. In 2015, their songs and style wasn’t as good as 2014 in my opinion, but they were still really good. But in 2016 and 2017, they changed their style up and I didn’t like their new music as much as their old music. I still like some of their new songs, but I wanna go back to 2014 when their style really cool, the rap line shined more and their music wasn’t as mainstream and generic sounding as their new songs.

2. Streaming isn’t that big of a deal

Whenever you go to a BTS music video or any other music video from a very popular Kpop group, 80% of the comments are talking about streaming. The comments usually go like this:”We have to stream! We need to get to this amount of views!”, “Guys we HAVE to surpass this MV!”, “It’s 4:00 AM and I’m streaming!”, “I have a big test tomorrow but I have to stream!”, etc. You get the point. I never really got why streaming is such a big deal. There’s nothing wrong with doing it, but people don’t need to take it so seriously. YouTube views aren’t everything. Groups like B1A4, Infinite and CNBLUE don’t get that much YouTube views, but they are some of the biggest Kpop artists in Korea. Stream all you want, but it shouldn’t get in the way of actual important things.

3. EXP Edition doesn’t deserve the hate they get

I have been saying this, and I will keep saying it. EXP Edition doesn’t deserve the hate that they get. I’m a big fan of EXP Edition. They are really talented and hardworking guys. Ever since the group was announced 3 years ago, they have been causing controversy around the Kpop fandom. I’m tired of Kpop fans calling EXP Edition cultural appropriation, racist and trying to make it look like they are doing something wrong when they’re really not. EXP Edition are trying to break barriers in Kpop which is a great thing. They’re not not stealing anybody’s spotlight, so stop saying that they’re, “Ruining Kpop”. They trained for 3 years and auditioned just like any other Kpop group and are under a company(IMMABB Entertainment).

4. 2nd Gen Kpop will always be the best

I think that 2nd generation Kpop was the best generation for Kpop. This was when Kpop was at its prime. The music was at its best and the fandom was peaceful. The groups at this time were the groups that paved the way for the new Kpop groups. These were the groups like, TVXQ, Super Junior, SNSD, 2NE1, SHINee, Miss A, Bigbang, Wonder Girls, 2PM, SS501, B2ST, 4Minute, etc. These groups made Kpop expand globally and helped Kpop become popular in the West. New Kpop fans shouldn’t disrespect these groups because if it wasn’t for these guys, groups like BTS, NCT, BlackPink, Twice, etc. Wouldn’t be here. These groups made some of the most iconic Kpop songs ever. These groups should always be remembered.

5. 1st Gen Kpop should be appreciated more

I think that 1st generation Kpop is very unappreciated. You don’t really hear many Kpop fans mention it and you only hear about the songs when a newer group covers one of them. These are the original Kpop groups from the 90s and early 2000s who started everything including fan clubs, fan chants, light sticks and the fandom culture in Kpop. These were the groups like Shinhwa, H.O.T, UN, S.E.S, G.O.D, Fin.K.L, Baby V.O.X, Sechs Kies and 1TYM. These groups made Kpop what it is today. They helped start the Korean Wave and Kpop phenomenon in Asia. They definitely deserve more recognition among Kpop fans.

6. BTS is overhyped

I honestly think that BTS is overhyped now. They’re really talented guys, but they get really overhyped. Don’t get me wrong, they’re good, but not THAT good that people should treat them like they’re the most superior thing in the world. They’re honestly not that different from most other groups. People need to stop acting like they’re legends because they’re not. They will be in the future, but for now they’re not. They’re a good group, but I just think that they’re really overhyped.

7. Shipping isn’t a big deal

I honestly don’t think shipping is a big deal. Just like streaming, do it all you want but don’t take it personal. Whenever a Kpop idol from a different group just walks past another idol, then the fans get all crazy and start making ships and all. I honestly don’t see why ships are such a big deal. Fans get so crazy over it and I never really see why. And it gets worse when shipping wars happen. Shipping wars are honestly one of the dumbest things in Kpop. At the end of the day it’s just some fake relationship that some fans made up.

8. I hate BTS memes

I don’t really like memes in general, but I can’t stand BTS memes. They’re so overused to the point that they’re super unfunny. I used to think that the whole, “You got no jams” joke was funny, but I’ve been tired of it for almost 3 years and it’s gets annoying when I see Kpop fans still making that joke. I’m also tired of memes like, “Infires” and, “Beach”, and I can’t stand when Kpop fans still put -eu at the end of a sentence. I just really hate BTS memes.

9. I don’t care for temporary groups

I honestly never really cared for temporary groups. I just don’t want to stan a group knowing that they’re gonna disband very soon or with a given date. That’s why I never stanned I.O.I, Wanna One or JBJ. I would rather stan a group that isn’t temporary and doesn’t have s given date for disbandment. It’s just easier for me personally.

10. Groups with too many members aren’t a very good idea

Even as a huge fan of Super Junior, I think that groups with too many members aren’t a very good idea. I think it’s not a really good idea because not all the members can shine in a song. There’s some members who barely get any lines or screen time in a music video because there’s too much members. Take for example Seventeen. Members like The8 and Dino don’t get that much lines in their songs. Their line distributions are becoming fairer, but they still need more lines and screen time . And it’s not just Seventeen, it’s many Kpop groups.

11. Kpop is getting worse

I still love Kpop, but I have to admit that Kpop is getting worse and worse. Even though Kpop is getting bigger globally, the music and fandom is getting worse. If you compare a 2009 Kpop song with a 2017 Kpop song, you can tell the sound Kpop is becoming more Westernized and less original. Even though I love American music almost as much as Kpop, I’d rather have Kpop sound like Kpop. It’s sounding a lot more just like American music especially with the tropical house trend in Kpop. And I also think the fandom is getting worse. The fans have become less mature and more annoying. Especially with fandoms like ARMY and Exo-L

12.(Bonus) Oppaologists need to stop

I’m sure all you guys have heard of the term, “Oppa didn’t mean it”. It’s really ridiculous. Kpop fans need to stop defending Kpop idols whenever they do something wrong. Kpop idols need to own up to their own mistakes. Whenever a Kpop idol says something like, “nigga”, gets in trouble with the law, etc., Kpop fans are always defending them and using the, “Oppa didn’t mean it” excuse. Idols are human beings. They make mistakes like us to so stop trying to cover up for grown idols.

Anyways, those were my unpopular Kpop opinions. I hope you enjoyed it. Thank you for reading it. Please share your thoughts below.

#1 BTS_FanboyGuy, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Elrichishable, Sory, ZYC and 4 others like this.
  2. Rolex

Rolex Star

BLINK
    I thought there's already a thread for that~

Blabluegree likes this.
  3. Yseki

Yseki Star

Fan Boy
    I agree with most of your points :yesr:

BTS_FanboyGuy likes this.
  4. ListenToBadMusic

ListenToBadMusic Super Rookie

In terms of overall quality of artists, 2nd gen is definitely still on top.

MissAIsLove and BTS_FanboyGuy like this.
  5. LuhanHobiarelife

add J hope is a much better vocalist than Jimin

6. BTS_FanboyGuy

BTS_FanboyGuy Entertainer

I know, but I’d rather just make my own.

MissAIsLove likes this.
  7. soshilovelife

soshilovelife Legend

I agree with you on some of your opinions as I think the same. Others I don't have enough background to agree or disagree.

Too bad kpop is becoming toxic by the minute and anything that will require a few more brain cells in real life is a reason to stoop really low here.

8. Sailor_Uranus

Sailor_Uranus Rookie

Luhan's Lesbian Girlfriend
    Agreed, especially on the point about kpop music quality decreasing
    The quality peaked in 2015 and hasn't gotten any better since (except for a few songs)

9. Plushieless

Plushieless Artist

Honestly, for me 2nd gen is overrated (lol going to get hate for that), I believe neither 2nd or 3rd gen are better than the other, nor 1st gen. There are good songs, memorable groups from both gens.

But I do believe 2nd gen was kinda more "iconic" than 3rd gen. If you look at a 2nd gen video, you will immediately say "this is kpop", as in the genre was more recognizable. However, in my opinion that does not make it better or worse...

10. Angelyna_Frost

Jagermeister Spokesbitch
    I 100% disagree with you about the benign nature of shipping. It's unbearably cringeworthy and it inevitably crosses a line into completely inappropriate territory in like...nanoseconds. People who obsessively ship real people, especially those hell bent on pushing their own desires onto idols who more than likely don't share them is just bizarre.

And add the tragedy that is aegyo to this list. Ban it. For life. And ever after. Then after that.

chickseli, Sory and Silverfang719 like this.
  11. colorfulteardrop

I agree with your points. For me they aren't unpopular opinions

12. LuhanHobiarelife

They deserved it during wings/YNWA THEIR MUSIC WAS SO FUCKING GOOD THAT TIME BST LIKE WOW their will probably never be a song as good as that Plus not today and spring day were also top tier songs. DNA and LY:HER was where it went completely downhill Luckily with ly:tear they recovered A bit and BAP,Block B,BTS,BTOB are definitely Much More talented than all the other boy groups th

Silverfang719 likes this.
  13. Silverfang719

Silverfang719 Artist

I'm honestly starting to think that to be a great boygroup you need to have B in your name lmao. (Although there are exceptions ofc)

LuhanHobiarelife likes this.
  14. kKaliko

kKaliko Star

crow destroyer
    v and jin sound much better than jungkook and jimin.

15. steph_ch

steph_ch Artist

Most of these aren't actually unpopular opinions especially "i like Bts's old music better" hell that's probably the most popular opinion since shit breathing ain't half bad. Most of the unpopular opinions are repeats of the same thing.

16. LadyS

LadyS Star

Botmy
    More like “”””””””””””” Unpopular “”””””””””””””” Kpop opinions

17. ZYC

ZYC Super Rookie

I agree with you except for 9 and 10

18. steph_ch

steph_ch Artist

I was actually epecting some real unpopular opinions like, weme I don't like your girlfriend is not a bad song, or all award shows should come to an end or even something slightly controversial like idols should have dating bans. Instead it's the tried and tired opinions that are actually more popular than ever.

19. RedFlavor

RedFlavor Rookie

20. Yabs_Trash

Yabs_Trash Legend

B1A4's hoe
    Agree with almost all your opinions except the temporary groups one bc i loved jbj TT but tbh it's the only temporary group that i cared about lol :yesr::yesr:

also can these butthurt armys leave the thread pls? let op express his opinion ffs