My Top 3 Red Velvet performances of their 'Power Up' comeback era: a journey across performance vids

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by Zenning, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Zenning

Zenning Public Figure

Lol, didn't know it'd get so long (or take up so much time) when I started , but here we go :)

I'm not really that much into watching music show performances. Maybe 1 or 2 performances, but that's usually it.
    But I asked myself a week or so ago: what kinda fan am I, that even antis, haters and other-group stans will scrutinise a group's performances in order to find a few seconds to bash the group with until oblivion, twist the truth and shade their reputation - and I can't even bother myself to watch the live performances of the groups I like?

I mean, when I can idly browse K-pop sites for hours after a stretch, it shouldn't be a big thing to watch a string of kpop performances in far less time than that. I thought...

So… I watched (and rewatched, and slowed down parts) all Red Velvet's Power Up performances up till now. I didn't stop there. I also watched fixed cam videos I could find of RV's performances, and in order to get a thorough overall impression of girl groups, I also watched music show performances, concert performances and special performances of the past year of groups like TWICE, Black Pink, Mamamoo, GFriend, CLC, G-Idle.

I admit, I took a deep dive. But after watching like 50+ performance videos (a lot of them multiple times, all of them on a a very large screen to see details better), I think I've gotten a decent impression of each group's (incl Mamamoo's) strengths and weaknesses in performances.
    That's not what this thread is about though. Like the title says, here follows the Power Up performance videos I liked best.

I tagged you because you like Red Velvet (I think?), hopefully enough to be curious to read further and to learn about how Red Velvet really did this comeback. Because - at least to me - it looked like RV got shaded and trashed excessively and above average with this comeback and maybe even before by antis and other-group stans, for stuff that was almost always unjustified and untrue.

Incheon SKY Festival, September 2: "The real summer queens"
    That's how Red Velvet are announced as introduction, and they show it. With a very diverse range of song performances they show why they're among the top hottest and most talented girl groups of the moment.

Incheon K-pop Concert (INK), September 1:
    they wear sports outfits and sneakers here. Kinda funny, only after this performance, I realised how often they're performing in (high) heels, sometimes even stilettos, from what I saw more often than a lot of the other groups. I think sneakers makes dancing easier than high heels, because there's extra spring and sharpness in their moves.

Music Core, August 18:
    Irene in pigtails. I can talk about how the RV members all look and perform great, but I'll just admit it plain up front: Irene in pigtails and styled up like here is a revelation. I'm not even a real Irene stan, but when she smiles in her trademark style and puts on her full charm, she blazes up the performances and blows everyone else away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course, that's my own top 3. If you've seen RV performances this comeback, which ones did you like best?
    And if you haven't seen them, you can find other Power Up performances behind the spoiler.
    Music Bank, Aug 10: the great decor automatically creates a funny intro, because Wendy almost pulls it down (also, lol at Wendy's reaction ^_^). and they even do it on high heels and stilettos.

Music Core, Aug 11:

Inkigayo, Aug 12: I love how in the first comeback week the decors are always extraordinary. This time too. Camera work, I thought it was great the first time I watched it, but found it hectic the 2nd time around. I love their summer outfits here, they're great.

Show Champion, Aug 15:

Music Bank, Aug 17:

Music Bank, Aug 24:

A-Nation, Aug 26: Ah, so many RV performances at this festival. No Korean music show-style moving and switching cameras this time (thank God!), but multiple fixed cameras. Besides Power Up, they also performed Cookie Jar. Add to that adlibs, great performances. (The video I saw got taken down, so I included another one)

[​IMG]

Soribada Best K Music Awards, Aug 30: the black and white outfits are great, and I love the general feel to the performances and how RV give the songs each the vibe to them that fits them, femme fatale to Bad Boy and bright and energetic to Power Up.

[​IMG]

Overall:
    it has been an amazing ride; after watching 50+ performance videos of Red Velvet and other girl groups, I think it's fair to say that the increased bashing of Red Velvet of the past months about all kinda stuff - including their performances and stage presence - has been nothing more than an extended hate campaign by organized antis and other-group stans.

Members not in sync, dancing less energetic than other group members, serious faces not smiling brightly: seen as much (and often more so) with the other girl groups too. If RV are bashed for those moments, you might as well bash all other groups as equally if not more so. Overall I found RV performances to be solid, and in quite a number of cases even more powerful and impressive than the performances of the other groups I watched.

And if it wasn't obvious to some in the peekaboo/bad boy era, then it should've been made abundantly clear in this comeback period: RV's expressions and vibe are linked to the type of concept they perform. This becomes even clearer in their festival performances: you can see them have a femme fatale/girl crush vibe and wear serious and fierce expressions in 1 Bad Boy performance, while only a few seconds later smiling brightly in the next Power Up performance.

Not only are the shade crusades and bandwagon gang bashing of RV's performance talents and stage presence unjustified, it's especially insulting and a disservice towards Seulgi, Wendy and Irene.

[​IMG]

Seulgi has proven to be a performance beast and chameleon on stage. With her perfect killer combination of strong vocals, versatile stage presence and great dance skills, she's currently 1 of the best performers of this gen.

But even more is it a disservice towards Wendy and Irene, whose growth and how they're shining with this comeback (and even before), are practically completely ignored.

Wendy:
    [​IMG]
    as the top vocalist of this gen, Wendy has already shown to own the stage in vocal performances with her powerful vocals, wide range and soulful feel as seen in her Doll and Immortal Song performances. But lately she has shown much more than that.

In a recent interview she mentioned how she has started to really enjoy dancing, and it shows in her performances. Wendy also always has shown little fear of embarassment or shame, up to the point that sometimes even her fans equally found her adorable as felt 2nd hand embarassment when she went overboard again in variety :p

I'm not sure, but it seems that this fearlessness and her rediscovered, enhanced joy for dancing has also translated onto stage, because nowadays Wendy has become explosive on stage. Her confidence, her energy, her versatility, she's killing it on stage. At first I thought it was because the Power Up concept suited her, but she's slaying in other performances too, and in hindsight it looks like it's been the past year she has really been blossoming up and evolving.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wendy was already 1 of the top vocal performers on stage, but if her growth continues like the past year and added with the typical RV versatility (in vocals and concepts), Wendy might become 1 of the top performers that dominate the stage in this gen.

Irene:
    [​IMG]
    what makes her so different? Something I wondered about, because there are a lot of pretty girls in kpop, but there's more to it with her and I think I figured it out: it's her extraordinary expressiveness. When you see RV in variety, interviews and other moments, you can frequently see Irene's expressions flit like quicksilver over her face. Her expressions have a wide range and are subtle and rich in nuance, and with how lively and powerful her expressiveness can be she has shown to be a real queen of expressions, one of a very few. It makes it fascinating even mesmerizing to see her in action, and I think if she had such aspirations she could make a great actress.

Added to that, Irene has really blossomed up the past year: she was so shy, but she has loosened up, become livelier and more confident. You can see it in variety, in meets and on stage as well. When her face lights up as she performs it's like watching her 10 seconds of Havana again, but then the extended 3 minutes version.
    We're talking charisma and aura on a nuclear level: other idols on stage next to a fully unleashed Irene become like wildfire next to a nuke.
    A magnetic, powerful center indeed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tbh though, I'm puzzled and somewhat disappointed with Reveluvs and other RV fans. I hadn't expected them to fold and yield so easily and let antis and other-group stans control the narrative around RV.

Maybe it's because I've seen 50-100 performances straight which makes it easier to compare. Or maybe it's because I've been years into kpop and know all the tricks how the shading and hater game is played. But I had at the least expected RV fans to see through the cheap 'fake concern' bashing attempts of haters, or to see the change and blossoming up in members like Wendy and Irene, off and on stage. But that happened far less than I'd expected and far less than they deserved.

After everything, I enjoyed the performances binge trip: I learnt a lot while doing it, and it made me look deeper, better at performances and all the things that contribute to them. I think I'm gonna do the same with the performance videos of the lesser known girl groups. I've also watched several recent variety shows with RV, it was so hilarious, I plan to turn it into a binge trip of 2018 RV variety :D

:sweatr:(finally finished it...)
    :cool:

#1 Zenning, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  2. RedueBelbet

RedueBelbet Public Figure

Anticipating Dreamcatcher’s comeback
    Woowwwwwwww :p I live for red velvet appreciation post. They’ve been shat on wayyy too much recently

3. Kura2654

Kura2654 Rookie

4. PrestonGarvey

PrestonGarvey Married to @Sory

Loyal Minuteman
    I don't watch live performances very often, and when I do, I basically only watch Red Velvet. I'm just not that into live performance videos. But, I feel like I've at least seen enough to say that Red Velvet doesn't deserve all of the criticism they've been getting this comeback.

And I appreciate the Red Velvet appreciation and especially the Wendy appreciation. :)

Also, not gonna lie I stopped reading for a minute because I was so mesmerized by the Wendy gifs lol. She really killed it this comeback!

5. Milk

Milk Celebrity

Rv can have 1000 perfect performances and people will bash them and shit on them for a hand full of not so goods but any other group gets any and all excuses.....
    They’ve worked so hard lately and they’ve definitely grown more comfortable and confident. I can’t wair to see what our girls bring in the future!!!
    [​IMG]

6. sonemariam

sonemariam Star

Idol
    This is such a beautiful thread.

7. cornyrapline

cornyrapline Leader

This was an impressive amazing post
    [​IMG]

8. kyutiemir22

kyutiemir22 Arya and Gendrys 3rd Wheel
    . Moderator

Woo that was a long read but I enjoyed it :3 Thanks for tagging me

Yea its much easier because your calves aren't tight. Just walk on your toes for a bit and you'll feel the muscles tense up. You can obviously master dancing with heels but there is a change between heels and sneakers.

Its a narrative that I can't control though. I remember this one argument with a person who just would not accept that RVs dances were not easy. So I can either choose to continue arguing with a wall or ignore them. Also a lot of times I choose to ignore it because it just isn't worth it. I know they're good, I know antis are exaggerating, I know they'd never admit it even to themselves. So a lot of times I just choose to play it off or just not enter the thread at all because it makes my life much more calmer.
    I'm not gonna lie I do enjoy long discussions that can sometimes be argumentative but I don't enjoy repetitive arguments, where we circle back and forth.
    Coincidentally those 3 you posted are also my favorites. But also the inkigayo aug 12 and show champion aug 15 performances. Although I gotta admit I watch the With You performances way more, I just love the song a lot.

9. kyutiemir22

kyutiemir22 Arya and Gendrys 3rd Wheel
    . Moderator

Omg this so much ^^^ I forgot to mention but in those gifs you posted its mesmerizing watching her perform. She just kills it dancing and she looks so bright and happy.

10. Zenning

Zenning Public Figure

Thanks, much appreciated :)

I noticed that too, they've grown a lot more chill and confident/comfortable in variety and on stage, their variety scenes are getting more and more hilarious and entertaining, and I've seen members like Wendy and Irene make some serious growth. I can't wait to see what their upcoming comebacks will bring, RV keep surprising and evolving :cool:

11. Zenning

Zenning Public Figure

Heh, thanks, I was dissatisfied with the gifs I could find, it took some serious searching for the right apps to create the gifs that managed to capture the vibe and spirit of the RV performances I got them from, I'm glad I succeeded :D

And yes, nobody should tried to sell the lie anymore that RV are deteriorating, because from what I've seen of their performances and live acts this year, it's the opposite: Red Velvet members are starting to become explosive on stage. Seulgi's growing more and more into a stage beast and ace performer, but Wendy's making major strides and starting to catch up.
    I've always found Wendy 1 of the most mesmerizing vocal performers of the current generation due to her wide vocal power and versatility, and the way she manages to make you feel the emotion and soul she puts into her singing. But what I saw this year is that her stage presence and charisma also start to flow over into her other performances; she's starting to evolve into 1 of the strongest, most powerful performers on stage. I love seeing her grow more and more :cool:
    Even Irene has started to blossom up, up to the point that the potential she showed on moments like 'Havana' are starting to be fulfilled and show more and more into her other performances as well.

Watching RV's performances really made me anticipate their upcoming comebacks and activities, I hope they can keep surprising and evolving, in the way how SNSD kept surprising and showing us different sides in their peak years.

12. SooYoung

SooYoung GG Trash

☼ Be a slave for Sooyoung, Kun and Hayoung ☼
    ☼ In the dungeon throwing a party with SMNGG ☼
    First i'm just amaze by how Joy looks stunning with her hair cut in the 2nd videos

and then many people criticize them because they think that Irene and Yeri don't smile so they look like they are bore, but i don't find this annoying and i find this even better, i prefer see a performance of a GG where they can also show their individuality, where you can see that Seulgi is the powerful one, Joy the one who always try to seduce the camera, yeri and irene the shy member etc..... more than a GG where all the members looks like copycat with 0 personality where they smile during 4 minutes like doll in plastic.
    Plus i like the fact that they don't smile all the times it add this mysterious aura around them.

And yes people will always criticize RV, they criticize irene for not being a good vocalist, when she show that she was able to sing they criticize her for be shy etc...
    Same with yeri they criticize her for being a bad vocalist, then she made some improvement and now they always try to find a way to criticize her, even when she cry.

Honestly i don't even try to defend them when i see people criticize them for their " stage presence" because it's honestly the dumbest argument i've ever seen in my life, it's like criticize someone for their visual -__-
    it's all about the taste of people and there is no definition of "stage presence"
    But hey , it's always a good ideas for the hater to always try to find a new argument to criticize someone

at the end RV become stronger each day and the hater are always proved that they are wrong
    and it's always my biggest pleasure to see all this hater and their depressed face when RV do things that they thought that they couldn't be able to do just like what they did when they had their PAK when all the haters claimed that they will never have one

13. zedi

zedi Trendsetter

i guess Wendy is the most "lively" one

and holy shit this thread is just really good

Zenning, sonemariam and Rand_Al_Thor like this.
  14. twentyfivedollar

twentyfivedollar Trendsetter

i love the effort you put into that post

15. Rand_Al_Thor

Rand_Al_Thor Leader

Great Post !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally I watch live performances and listen to the videos after a few watches(for all groups btw) unless i am showing it to someone.
    I evaluate based on live/comeback shows.
    Music shows, concerts, encores ect.
    I love the Rock Music guy with his 4k stuff (that would be a fun job and he subs at times) and a few of the others WA ect.

As to defending them i very rarely engage because of exactly what you found. They are great on stage, like really good, and folks who do not think so are not worth a second of my time.

My favorite nut cases are those who insist Wendy is regressing and is so much worse than happiness days.

Also i find Wendy and RV in general do not care if they go for a glory note in every song. Skilled harmonies are more important to them.

Like here. most vocals would try to over power this song to make themselves looks 'cool'.

I did recently over a ot4 stan cherry picking on Yeri like normal, but they are hopeless and i do not need the aggravation.

For more validation of how good they are, catch what that new vocal guy says about them. Wendy is one of a handful that he says 'she is so good' after her part comes up.

As to variety. Just watch Wendy and Seulgi on Battle trip to see how much they have grown. It is like you are hanging out with the good friends that they are.

#15 Rand_Al_Thor, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    Zenning, Theo35, sonemariam and 3 others like this.
  16. austen

austen Rookie

If they're a little off sync it's because they're tired. Lack of sleep from fulfilling their busy schedules. Appearances on music shows, rehearsals, appearances on variety shows, pop-up concerts, other events, photoshoots, etc. It's a lot for them and they get little sleep. That's what Joy was saying when she appeared on weekly idol or idol room? And now they're probably already preparing their next mini album release because they're coming back in November. Think of all the songs they must demo then record, then the dances, album jackets and concept photos.

Zenning, Rand_Al_Thor and sonemariam like this.
  17. austen

austen Rookie

This comeback was well received because it was a good, catchy song with a summery vibe. This is the most they have sold in Korea yet with over 155k in sales, which is quite impressive for them. I hope we will continue to see more of them as SM hasn't debuted their NGG yet and f(x) has not comeback in 3 years and SNSD has only 5 members signed with a new subunit

18. wellisjustme

wellisjustme Newbie

We need more thread like this that appreciated the girls. The members work so hard all this years.

19. RedVelvendetta

RedVelvendetta Celebrity

Much appreciated, and thanks for the tag :)

Their stage presence and stages are very underrated. I’ve kinda gotten tired of defending them, since antis really zone in on that and some antis just can’t be convinced. I found the majority of their Power Up stages to be great imo and I agree with everything you said.

20. Theo35

Theo35 Celebrity

an intellectual! great thread

Haolat, Zenning and Rand_Al_Thor like this.