Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

My take on KPOP and BTS and the correlation towards the two Has bts helped kpop or made it worse off

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by LuhanHobiarelife, Jul 12, 2018.

1. LuhanHobiarelife

LuhanHobiarelife Celebrity

This thread is actually inspired by something @mirella said which really got me thinking. She made a very true point which was that at this point in the eyes of many dudes and kpop haters BTS have basically become a meme and have infact raised the stigmatisation of kpop. And it's true I mean BTS are huge now but their slogan might as well be Chinese lesbian music for 14 year old girls. It's sad but unfortunately true. I remember @Infire707 saying she has many occasions been picked on for being an Army.
    And this brings me on to a main point which is that essentially in the eyes of non-kpop fans BTS is essentially kpop. They don't really know any other groups but they know BTS and are dishing out shit out on them cos they are easy targets. But this has resulted in a backlash from Army. That backlash being : BTS is not normal kpop. I mean you see at pretty much every kpop reaction video (especially the bandwagon jumping greedy ones). I like BTS I don't like kpop. BTS are different they write they're own lyrics they aren't manufactured etc. Now saying this is fine but at the same time I think it's somewhat unfair. BTS are easily one of the most unique groups but they were manufactured. And they aren't the only group that writes their own lyrics. And they don't have the only great rappers in the industry.
    And what this results in is a backlash from the other parts of the kpop community for obvious reasons. And I think we've seen enough threads to know what that looks like.
    So what I guess I'm saying is that maybe Army should embrace the kpop factor of BTS. Like yeah they're a kpop group with fantastic rappers and the write their own lyrics. There are other groups that also do this. Yes they were manufactured by a company but they had to work extremely hard to get to where they are. And yes they're a bunch of good looking Asian boys who have makeup on. You got a problem with that? Maybe this ain't the right music for you. As for the stigmatisation it can't be removed but maybe it shouldn't be. Kpop will always be a niche thing.....I just wish it was more accepted amongst dudes.
    Anyway don't really know why I made this essay but hope some people find it aa goo read. Lemme know what you think. Hope it isn't to boring lol

So this is what is said by @Silverfang719 and I agree with this however This may only be a case in a country like USA or China were the majority of men are Xenophic Insecure bandwagoning loser men with Really massive inferiority complex BTS has definitely definitely had a positive impact on Kpop and breaking the norms In Hungary,India,Germany,Australia,Canada Fangirls have definitely doubled and multiplied but There has been a huge increase in the rate of fanboys too People In general now are actually not stereotyping and giving bts's music a try And it is working A lot of my guy friends have become fanboys and I've noticed fanboys are increasing in plethora and in general I've been noticing this plus no one has ever looked down upon me for listening to kpop literally no one.People are liking the hip hop side of kpop too which people would have never imagined in Kpop I.e BTS,BAP,Block B and surprisingly monsta X is also one of the groups which has gained fuel since there is an entire community of Monsta X fanboys in Hungary.So It has done it in both ways However I do think bts has really destroyed some common norms and steryotypes of kpop Now its quite often to see an Army now and then it is literally become common plus the countries which I've stated above have noticed a spike in fanboys and streryotyping which I've noticed from my eyes myself.

Yup so that was my reply and if Anyone by chance did look down upon me for listening to kpop I would legit destroy them in a counter argument if they listen to modern day hip hop which is straight up garbage the only someone decent modern day hip hop rapper is Now dead anyways.

Plus fanboys usually accept bts when they're more mature at the age of 15 16 + My little brother who is 13 hates bts (At that age tho everyone has insecurities) But a lot of men have been really accepting of bts in general

And BTS IS DEFINTELY KPOP THERE IS NO BTSPOP Bts comes under the kpop category so lets embrace and promote other Kpop groups too instead of only focusing on bts lets this maximise the use of this opportunity with boys groups like BAP and Block B are absolutely shocking and the exact opposite of kpop stereotypes Could promote musically superior quality groups like Exo or pentagon too

Kaikat, egw, bbyseoul and 19 others like this.
  2. LadyS

LadyS Icon

Botmy
    Agreed... doe you could’ve just commented on the OG thread dndnsmcnc

Kaikat, Blabluegree, Coco and 2 others like this.
  3. LuhanHobiarelife

I wanted to explain a elaborate response which more users could see

Coco, mirella, LadyS and 2 others like this.
  4. LuhanHobiarelife

@Angelyna_Frost you're a veteran kpop fan from the second gen what have been your observations towards kpop for both boys and girls and their image which they paint

5. Angelyna_Frost

Angelyna_Frost Influential

#1 EXALTED VIP AND TOBIKKO
    Oh @LuhanHobiarelife I have no relevant GG experience with the exception of 2NE1. Is that okay? You can kick me out of the discussion if necessary. I understand.

6. pokemon_master

pokemon_master Trainee

exactly every newbie army needs to read this carefully

legendjekki, 89TIFF, Coco and 2 others like this.
  7. Silverfang719

Silverfang719 Married to @mirella

Maaaaaan you made my thread defunct lmaooooo. I got such deja vu when I started reading it lol. But still I agree with you.

Kaikat, mirella and LuhanHobiarelife like this.
  8. LuhanHobiarelife

for boy groups Im asking for how reactions towards kpop have changed from before

mirella and Angelyna_Frost like this.
  9. LuhanHobiarelife

Yeah I should have just pmed you this and you could have added this to the original thread xD didn't think about it too much

mirella and Silverfang719 like this.
  10. Silverfang719

We should ask for some sort of Collab thread. Like a fusion thread. The opinions of two akp fanboy's with too much time on their hands

11. LuhanHobiarelife

Yeah lol probably It's today I called sick for Work We could do a full fanboy thread with the others in the future Maybe later We both are literally tired right now from writing these long ass essays but I legit genuinely wish all fans were like us And exo L's and army united instead of having these pointless civil which result in nothing in the bigger picture these could help kpop significantly if these two fandom stopped fighting eh but we can't forget that a majority of kpop fans are immature thirsty pre teen fangirls to unfortunately I just wished both fandoms mature a bit

Kaikat, mirella and Silverfang719 like this.
  12. Angelyna_Frost

Angelyna_Frost Influential

#1 EXALTED VIP AND TOBIKKO
    I think that the climate has changed a lot. Kpop is so big internationally now where it wasn't before. So much more mainstream and bigger in the west- in LA where I am, it's considered a staple. I work a lot in clubs and concerts and it's just not considered to be a novelty. It's in regular rotation.

13. Silverfang719

Yeah ikr. I spent so long writing that.

14. LuhanHobiarelife

15. AyanEva

AyanEva Trainee

My only issue with this is that A LOT of BTS fans are like me: We legit don't really care for the kpop industry/genre (what is it exactly?) as a whole but we've found that we do like BTS. And pretty much only BTS. We've listened to other groups and we just don't really care for them. So it's difficult for us to say "We like kpop" when we genuinely only like BTS. I'm here on AKP because I'm curious about other groups and I like to see what's going on in this kpop world from which BTS comes. But I don't like any of the other groups. I'm ambivalent about the whole scene, really. I had two years of regular exposure to kpop to learn to like them and I just don't.

It doesn't make sense for me, and other fans like me, to promote an entire industry+groups that we don't actually like or really care much about. A Twitter mutual and I were just talking about something semi-related because of ongoing tensions with ARMY Twit stan. Within ARMY, there's is a definite culture clash between Western stan culture (people like me) and kpop stan culture. We're all ARMY but I guess maybe we're different breeds of ARMY? Anyway, there are several points of conflict and tension between these two segments of the fandom and I think this question of how BTS relates to the rest of kpop is definitely one of those issues that's causing friction.

I think you made really good points in your post though. It's just that for many people coming from Western stan culture, the conclusion of embracing all kpop just doesn't make much sense unless you do actually end up liking all kpop. I don't really have any solutions for particular issue, tbh. I just wanted to add this perspective in, as well.

16. Coco

Coco Rookie

My brothers (19 and 22) used to dislike kpop a few years ago. Whenever I would play a song by my faves (which I won’t name) they would get so damn irritated. They hated their voices lmao.

However, since BTS’ huge breakthrough in the West, they completely follow them now along with me. They’re such fanboys; I thought I’d never see a day in my life where I could see my brothers jamming to kpop and here we are now dancing along to the latest album, baepsae and ddaeng. :)

sequana, mirella, rairte and 5 others like this.
  17. LuhanHobiarelife

see as boys get older and more mature their insecurities lower and they become more open

mirella, Silverfang719 and Coco like this.
  18. annoyed

annoyed Notable

I have to agree with you. Especially your point with the hiphop side of kpop groups. I think the reason to this is that back then in the second gen, you still had access to kpop, people saw PSY and some probably got interested, but i think the styling and the music for a lot of 2nd gen groups kind of scared the regular people who just wanted to see what it was about kpop away.

19. Coco

Coco Rookie

That’s natural. When you see “perfect” looking boys, your pride really hurts haha. It’s same with girls :) however, my brothers are fans of hip-hop and rock, they don’t like pop music/mainstream music. Somehow BTS became an exception but to be honest they do have a very large and diverse discography, including the Japanese albums. BTS really is the IT group honestly.

20. mirella

mirella Married to @Silverfang719

rap enthusiast
    Add me to that too, lol. I spend too much time thinking about these things.

@LuhanHobiarelife I brought up the meme thing because it reminds me of how guys treat One Direction (although BTS>1D but irrelevant whatever), except on a larger scale because they're Asian, speak another language, do stereotypically "feminine" things like wear makeup.

Despite Western media's attempts to praise BTS for being "unique" and "special" from other groups, the negative stigma will still follow them because they still are K-pop. I'm glad they're out there because they're one of the better groups, but BTS has been shoved everywhere that it's easier to hate than appreciate.

But another good point: BTS are unique, but they didn't invent songwriting, good rapping, good music in K-pop. That's existed with a lot of groups. The fact that Western media puts down other groups as "manufactured" to bring up BTS is what is harming K-pop's image even further. Even then, people think that BTS fit the stereotypical flower boy image, so still don't take them more seriously.

I'm trying to type this while in class so yeah, it's not very cohesive. I'll revisit this thread in a bit.