My ears vs. Twice's choruses

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by Rural_Juror, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Rural_Juror

Rural_Juror Newbie

Currency:
    I love Twice as a group. They're good performers, with catchy songs, pretty visuals, eye-catching choreography, and really likeable personalities, performances and songs aside.

But often when I watch their performances or MVs, my ears hurt when they sing their choruses, to the point that I have to turn down the volume for relief. This hasn't been the case for any other artist I've listened to.

This honestly isn't a bashing thread, I'm just looking for someone with more musical knowledge to explain why so many of their choruses hurt my ears. Cheer Up, HeartShaker, Yes or Yes, and Fancy's choruses all sound to me like they're straining their voices, and it's painful. Nayeon and Jihyo are the main culprits, since they sing most of these choruses. But I like most of their voices the rest of the time! It's just some of their title choruses sound like they're straining to shout lines that are too high for them.

Is this the case? Or are they executing the choruses perfectly, and that's exactly how they should sound (and would sound if any singer were to sing those choruses too)? Is this just me disliking their voices in higher octaves for some reason?

2. Taeri

Taeri Married to @NBW

Currency:
    MD
    Good luck

3. Vance555

Vance555 Newbie

Currency:
    My eyes vs your post

4. demenshorts

demenshorts Rookie

Currency:
    DRAGON KNIGHT
    *your taste vs. twice's choruses

Cherrysoda23 likes this.
  5. LYNNinyourarea

LYNNinyourarea Public Figure

Currency:
    Because choruses like in “Cheer Up” , “Heart Shaker” (that one especially) or “Fancy” are simply too high for them. Jihyo is the best vocalist in the group and she supports up to .. B4. Nayeon doesn’t even support that high. So.. choruses with several C5’s/C#5’s/D5’s/Eb5’s/E5’s or even F5’s are out of their supported range - therefore the voices sound kinda piercing and tight. Choruses like “What Is Love” or “Signal” suit Twice more even though they are not sung by Jihyo and Nayeon. “TT” is the best song for Nayeon and Jihyo. Many people say TWICE’s songs are super easy to sing, but they actually aren’t. Especially “Heart Shaker” is a tough song which would also be out of the supported range of good vocalists like Wendy, Taeyeon, Yuju, Solar etc. The only ones who could pull it up with full support would be Ailee and Hyolyn, because both of them are able to support up to F5. Every other KPOP vocalist would strain as well. Yes, the vocalists I mentioned would probably sound less piercing because their voices are overall more developed, but.. they would strain.

#5 LYNNinyourarea, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
    monsieurmr, Zuko1, Man_Dao and 15 others like this.
  6. SusanWill

SusanWill Trainee

Currency:
    The most logical reply in the entire thread.

7. Taeri

Taeri Married to @NBW

Currency:
    MD
    Lmao
    :teeheek:

#7 Taeri, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2019
  8. RomanticNight

RomanticNight Rookie

Currency:
    Incoming 3 2 1....

9. Hallybell

Hallybell Leader

Currency:
    Except for Cheer up, I didn’t really notice that and even there it’s listenable at least for me.

10. Aelinaa_Maiyaa

Aelinaa_Maiyaa Public Figure

Currency:
    Taking care of other people feelings.
    Worth reading. :siptear:

11. SunnySun

SunnySun Super Rookie

Currency:
    The chorus is way to high for them and especially Nayeon scream all the time during it.

JYP simply don't know how to chose a good song suit for their vocals, here is where all "can't sing" come from. Momo is another victim of this, her voice in Sixteen wasn't that bad (she's a weak vocalist but she sounded decent) but they keep giving her all the high parts.

monsieurmr, Rural_Juror and vaahiny like this.
  12. vaahiny

vaahiny Trendsetter

Currency:
    eating ants
    Cause it's too high for them !
    They strain to achieve this, they push on their throat that's why it's so unpleasing to hear.

monsieurmr and Rural_Juror like this.
  13. Rural_Juror

Rural_Juror Newbie

Currency:
    Thank you, this is exactly the technical explanation I was looking for!

14. aryaprasetya

aryaprasetya Super Rookie

Currency:
    I cant stand momo and sana voice actually at this point, i listen to fancy and everytime i hear both voice i fast forward it lol

cute-as-ducks and monsieurmr like this.
  15. Lubby00

Lubby00 Icon

Currency:
    Your post vs any sense of relevancy

Twice earning a bag out of making Thrice “ears hurt” & other stuff to make them this bothered, is good in my book

#15 Lubby00, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2019
    Kpopaesthetic1 likes this.
  16. LYNNinyourarea

Currency:
    Thank you so much guys <3 :loverr3:

Rural_Juror and Aelinaa_Maiyaa like this.
  17. LYNNinyourarea

Currency:
    No problem. I like TWICE and I don’t even feel like you were trying to bash them as hard as some people thought you were.. but I guess what you’re talking about, especially during live performances. If a chorus is in your comfortable range and maybe contains one/two notes that are out of your supported range it shouldn’t sound too bad.. but if a chorus contains a bunch of phrased C5’s and C#5’s for example.. and even some Eb5’s and F5’s.. your voice will also get tired easily. And usually you have to sing the same chorus at least 3x in a song.. so with each chorus it will sound more tight and piercing because you try your hardest to push your voice to the limit. On top of that TWICE has to sing the same songs over and over again - especially during the promotion period.. so.. the voice suffers a lot. Unfortunately companies often give songs to artists that aren’t the most suitable for their artists. Do you still remember “Heart Attack” by AOA ? The live performances were horrific. The song was way too high for them.. and in general also a song that isn’t really fun to sing,. This super breathy and high chorus.. I feel like not even Ailee would sound great while singing it. Singing with so much air in a high register is a torture..

Even technically solid vocalists can suffer a lot due to songs that are too high for them. Taeyeon is a great example. After the promotion period of “Twinkle”, her support dropped from C#5/D5 to B4/C5. She recovered from it, but you can tell.. her voice got slightly damaged due to all those strained F#5’s.

#17 LYNNinyourarea, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Man_Dao and Rural_Juror like this.
  18. Rural_Juror

Rural_Juror Newbie

Currency:
    Yeah, I wasn't trying to bash them at all, and I have to roll my eyes at people who call me a "Thrice" for posting a genuine question about their songs, even when I prefaced my question by explaining all the things I like about them (which is basically everything, except for those choruses). I guess my title was a bit clickbait-y, and maybe that rubbed some the wrong way. I want to get even more into them, but it just kept bothering me every time I'd watch a performance, get to the chorus, and be like "This again?". Anyhow, your answer gave me some peace of mind because the question had been bothering me for a long time, I wasn't sure if it was just all in my head.

And yes, I remember hearing Heart Attack for the first time and hating it immediately! Never understood how that was such a hit, other than AOA being popular.

Why do companies keep doing this to their singers! Sorry to bug you with another question, but why do you think companies keep giving their singers songs that are too high for them? Is it to maintain the integrity of the original song? Could they just change the key (or whatever it is...again I have no musical knowledge lol) so the song is more manageable for their singers? Like would the integrity of some of these songs really suffer if the companies changed the key to be more suitable for its singers?

19. Nana100000

Nana100000 Public Figure

Currency:
    I listen to Twice on my phone or laptop with headphones on at full volume and my ears never hurt, I’m not deaf and I don’t have tinnitus...yet!

Man_Dao likes this.