Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

Melon 2016

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by Person24, Oct 22, 2017.

?

Do you believe exo got robbed

1. Yes, bts didn't deserve it, sorrynotsorry

2. No, bts deserved it they need to calm tf down

3. Even if they did who cares its 2017

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Person24

Person24 Artist

So exols are still on about this lol

I personally would let it go but I understand why they would behave like that last year but it been a years guys

Anyways some people here believe that bts didn't deserve their daesang honestly if you do let's have a nice discussion.

I just wanna talk. If you look at it both ways they have a good reason to get mad(although they handled it badly and were being disgusting) but that was a year ago.

I really wanna know if anyone believes that melon robbed exo of their daesang, if you truly believe so let's talk I won't change your opinion I just wanna know your point of the story and all. No fighting please, let's all be civil

2. Kpop_Nerd101

Kpop_Nerd101 Legend

Wasn't it proven that even with the internal data released some fans weren't counting everything that was for BTS album?

Oh_Kill_Em and Person24 like this.
  3. _CLeO

_CLeO Star

I mean the receipts are there so they do have a reason to be upset about it...

4. Person24

Person24 Artist

I have honestly seen a lot of versions of the same receipts so idk which one is real.

_CLeO likes this.
  5. Juanlag

Juanlag Artist

That award should be now for BB4 - Red planet with a huge difference with Bts and Exo, but this is what happens when you do the awards of a year in november when there're songs still charting really high and with that huge fandoms nominated.

Cutecocoa21 likes this.
  6. Kpop_Nerd101

Kpop_Nerd101 Legend

7. Oh_Kill_Em

Oh_Kill_Em Legend

A melon staff member even talk to some EXO-L about over the phone when they called to complain and said that "I-N-T-E-R-N-A-L D-A-T-A" is the reason BTS won, lol, that conversation was so funny

We're nearing 2018, it's time to let go already..

8. suzang

suzang Legend

The only reason this resurfaced is because another distrubutor (or whatever) just released official data that the most streamed song on Melon last year was EXO's Monster. But the excuse Melon gave last year for EXO no winning was that they were missing internal data. So no, EXO Ls didn't just start drama for the sake of it nor are have they been upset about this since last year. We had moved on only for this so called missing "internal data" to show up. So it's just something to make fans bitter over but that's it.

I do think EXO deserved whatever award but I don't think anyone should get their award revoked or whatever. They all did well. No need for any side to start drama.

blossom33 and sonemariam like this.
  9. rinah108

rinah108 Artist

srsly don’t even care if melon made up the ‘internal data’ reason
    young forever was 10 times better than ex’act, so no one should be pressed that quality won over quantity
    i’m glad that melon recognized the quality of bangtan’s album

ChocoCutiePie, Ayumi9, Yabie and 4 others like this.
  10. PopCandy

PopCandy Artist

For the millionth time, this is not the internal data that is missing since it's purely raw data, not the numbers melon has that look at stuff like longevity, age demo, filters to take into account mass streaming, etc.

Yabie likes this.
  11. balladlover

balladlover Entertainer

Is this done yet? BTS won fair and square. Why are people acting like the asteroid Apophis hit earth.
    I don't get it. If people are still complaining boycott melon, stop buying their streaming passes, focus solely on genie, monkey, bugs, etc. Even better create your own awards so exo wins everything You see there problem solved.

12. balladlover

balladlover Entertainer

If you're going to complain about votes and what not. Then EXO shouldn't have won it in 2015, rather it should have went to the other group. Every award in which EXO wasn't leading in votes for 2015 should just be returned to its rightful owner if this is the logic behind this group deserves this award cause they had higher number of votes and streams and what not. Learn the criteria. Melon doesn't count gaon. Talk the talk, walk the walk. Should I post the phone conversation too? Nah someone else can do it.

13. Lilac_Ace

Lilac_Ace Artist

Damn. Ain't you savage today?:siptear: :loverr3:

armink likes this.
  14. GoldenIdun

GoldenIdun Artist

Why do you assume that the raw unfiltered streaming data of one single title song is the same internal data the staff member was referring to? Is there something I don't know?
    :whatr:

The award in question was not SOTY, but AOTY. So streaming numbers of one song wouldn't even be an all deciding factor in that award. Especially when those numbers haven't been filtered by Melons internal algorithm that filter out mass-streaming and "zombie streaming".

freysan, ChocoCutiePie, Yabie and 4 others like this.
  15. suzang

suzang Legend

EXO's Monster album was the most streamed album on Melon in 2016 and Melon's album daesang counts (or counted) 70% Digital Sales & 30% Votes. EXO's album was #1 digital sales on Melon out of the groups nominated (and I believe overall for the whole year actually) and #1 on the votes. The award doesn't count physical sales and all these "raw data" talks don't make sense because it has nothing to do with anything. And that's the point, this internal data that was missing last year for the award (which is bogus) is no longer missing and shows that even when finalised, EXO still remains at #1.

Also, I'm not saying BTS should have their album revoked or whatnot. It's passed and what has happened has happened. Album award or not, the boys still took home Artist of the Year and that's the biggest honour for them.
    Also from what I have seen on my feed list which is filled with EXO Ls, fans aren't causing drama to have the award revoked and whatnot. People just want Melon to stop being so shady and get their game straight. Every year they're causing problems for one group or the other and they don't even try to hide it. Instead they make up dumb excuses only to be exposed later on.

sonemariam likes this.
  16. Fxckit

Fxckit Entertainer

AKP is on it's way to turning into OneHallyu.

armink likes this.
  17. GoldenIdun

GoldenIdun Artist

Whether it's passed and fans aren't causing drama anymore like last year, it's still pretty bad to be accusing someone of not fairly having won an award. And while Melon definitely is shady like the rest of the Korean awards, it's also pretty bad to be accusing them of foul play, when there's really nothing to go on. Which is why I wish people would understand a few things.

1. Melon keeps most of their numbers, chart counting systems and award criteria details secret, both due to the sheer size of that database, but also because they don't want fan girls trying to manipulate the results, if they knew how Melon specifically counts data. Therefore we only have Gaon numbers to rely on when it comes to digital sales, and they're likely not the same as Melon's. So when you say they had the #1 digital album sales and streams on Melon, that's not a fact, that's a speculation. Because those numbers aren't public, only Gaon numbers are. What Melon releases to the public are it's charts, and their yearly top100 digital songs list.

2. What we do know however, is that according to the Melon staff from last years' infamous telephone calls, unique listeners and longevity plays a far larger role when it comes to the MMAs, than #1s on charts and mass streams. We also know that Melon to some degree filters the raw streaming numbers on their charts, to weed out mass streaming during comebacks. Therefore whether data is "raw" or "filtered", is very much important. Because one better reflects unique listeners and the other does not. The importance of filtered streams and downloads become clear when you look at Monster's digital rank on Melon yearly top100 from 2016 (#55). That obviously makes no sense with the new streaming numbers presented, unless Melon filtered all the mass streaming out for that chart.

3. BTS had 900K more digital album downloads according to Gaon, when all of the albums 23 song downloads from the nomination period are counted. According to the same Gaon numbers, for the nomination period Exact + Lotto had 28M more streams than HYYH1 + HYYH2 + HYYH3. How exactly Melon translates streams to sales, or even if they do, is somewhat uncertain, but it's common for streaming services to count 100 steams = 1 download. According to that metric, Exact + Lotto's total downloads would be 2.28M while HYYH1 + HYYH2 + HYYH3's total downloads would be 2.9M. The numbers only count the Gaon downloads that took place from November to November and that are featured on HYYH3. The actual Melon numbers are unknown however.

So I really wish people would stop accusing or implying that BTS did not fairly earn the award, as if it was a fact. These new streaming numbers for a single song play a very small role in the AOTY criteria judging, and are not the same internal data mentioned by Melon a year ago. There's many unknown factors, including how they specifically weigh different components of the 70% digital album sales criteria (streams, downloads, longevity, charting, different language ver. etc), but that's not a reason to make these accusations.

#18 GoldenIdun, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    freysan, ChocoCutiePie, Yabie and 4 others like this.
  18. IgotExosBangtan

So was the two versions of HYYH combined for these sales?? Because from what I'm seeing people are posting the overall sales for the HYYH part 1 vs Monster. Which is why so many people think that Monster is album of the year.

Anyway, this is all just an attempt by melon to cause drama. It's been a whole ass year, so if BTS wins a daesang this year, it'll just be another "charity win."

Genuinely, I believe that the exols currently raging about this are gonna call foul play until melon says "it was exos award." Melon could give every detail and explanation possible and it'd STILL be BS to a lot of people. It's a no win.

#19 IgotExosBangtan, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    freysan likes this.
  19. rglover641

rglover641 Artist