NEW FORUMS OPEN HERE

MCND- MCND AGE EP Breakdown

Discussion in 'Album Reviews' started by egb-musiclover, Jan 12, 2021.

1. egb-musiclover

egb-musiclover Married to @iwin

Currency:
    fuck you, none of your business
    MCND AGE
    Our boys have come back with another bang. The new EP portrays their fresh image with a lot of beautiful vocals and playful raps. The overall vibe seems boisterous and frisky with hints of hip-hop and EDM. I’ll be reviewing the tracks in this EP now.

[​IMG]

Crush
    A playful boisterous feel to it, the title track is well-done with its hip-hop influences which seems to be MCND’s signature sound now. We start off with the chorus keeping up with the group’s youthful image. I’ll take this chance to praise MCND’s rap parts, they always seem to kill it with the vibe they are going for. Castle J and BIC rap too well, grooving to the beat at the right moments and basically giving us a perfect rap. We have the pre-chorus, which fits the beat well, and transitions to smooth vocals well. Minjae carries of the falsetto very well, but the ending of each line as he transitions into his normal voice could have been smoother, as it is a bit jarring, but the end of the pre-chorus is well done. Next the chorus, which is too good and catchy, Castle J’s voice seems to fit it the best. Thankfully, it is not one of the overused instrumental choruses, we have some actual voices in there, which makes it even better. The 3rd verse shows their boisterous image perfectly, but it is a bit overshadowed by the other parts of the song, acting as a filler, and we move onto the pre-chorus and chorus once again. A well-done instrumental for a dance break, and we move onto the mainly rap-based bridge, which goes well with the hiphop image, and the chorus repeats. Ending with the outro, this song is a bit average compared to other title tracks, but still a good fit for the members.
    Rating- 6.5/10

[​IMG]

Louder
    An EDM track with summer synths and chimes, it is one of the best tracks in this album, showing off the vocals perfectly. We start with the first verse, Minjae and Huijun showing how well their vocals fit together already. We have some switching vocals with Win, BIC and Huijun, creating a perfect melody between the raps and the vocals. Minjae and Huijun come back with even better harmonisation in the chorus. The chorus is comforting, and yet frisky, with the vocals showing beautifully. We move back to a more chill beat for verse 2, which has the same melody as verse 1 for a bit, and the rap is carried out well. The chorus repeats once again, moving into the bridge. The bridge has the well-done mix of both rap and vocals, Huijun’s vocals shining more than ever. The chorus repeats once again, and ends with a small outro.
    Rating- 8/10

[​IMG]

KO OK!
    EDM beats and applause sound effects, this is a perfect track fitting their frisky confident hiphop vibe. The first verse gets our attention quickly, with the energetic rap and the vocals from Castle J, BIC and Minjae. The pre-chorus begins already, with the seamless vocals of Minjae and Huijin, their harmonisation showing once again. In this harmonisation, Minjae tries to go for rougher vocals, which could have been worked on a bit more to give that attention-grabbing effect. The chorus is one of your cliché hiphop choruses, overflowing with confidence, and carried by the rappers. They do the chorus too well, the emotions actually show in their voices. The second verse comes up, where the rap could have shown a bit more versatility and tone except for the small slowdown effect at ‘slow-ow-ow motion’. The pre-chorus and chorus repeat again. A short bridge from the vocal duo follows, with good vocal control and nice techniques. The chorus repeats and it ends with the outro of the hook.
    Rating- 6/10

[​IMG]

Player
    The dance and house EDM in this piece makes it a complete package for a rap-dominated song. The rappers show their tone better and the longer parts make it easy to differentiate between them. The first verse starts off, with a powerful rap from Castle J and Win, and the pre-chorus from Minjae. The chorus is a bit too loud to be honest, it makes you want to stop listening to it if you have listened to it too much, thus making it a one-time listen song, only for club music or so. Another verse with more raps from Castle J and BIC comes in, with a smooth flow and perfect delivery. We have the loud chorus repeat again. The bridge is a real treat, with the legendary duo’s vocals, Minjae and Huijin kill it. The slightly-edited chorus comes in once again, as loud as ever, and we end with the chorus. The only flaw in this song is the loud chorus which drowns out the vocalists themselves.
    Rating- 5.5/10

[​IMG]

Not Over
    Filled with whistle sound effects, and ad-libs, this song portrays their life and inspirational lyrics with their unique playful sound. We start with Huijun and Castle J’s verse. By now, you must have realized that I can never really criticize Huijun’s vocals, because he always does it right. Win and BIC deliver a perfect rap with switching vocals. The pre-chorus comes up with Minjae, Castle J and Win, creating an attention-grabber for the chorus. We have a switching vocals chorus, where some of the vocals seem a bit strained, which could have been worked on, but better nevertheless. We have verse 2, with switching raps again between Win, BIC and Castle J, it being quite powerful, and with different tones. Switching vocals again for the second half of verse 2, and we move onto the pre-chorus and chorus. A bridge with vocals and raps come again, and Huijun’s falsettos are perfect as always. The chorus repeats again with a sem-strained high note, and we have a bit of an instrumental as the song fades away.
    Rating- 6.5/10

[​IMG]

Rating of the whole EP- 6.5/10
    Overall, this EP was quite delightful and fresh, a great way to start off the new year, while staying to their playful concept. Though the vocals and raps seemed a bit strained at few parts, the delivery was perfect for most of it. I’d like to especially highlight Huijun’s vocals, he and Minjae gave some of the best vocals I have heard from them this time really. The structure of most of the songs were quite refreshing, with a proper intro and outro with beautiful switching vocals.
    [​IMG]
    XXX

2. egb-musiclover

Currency:
  3. atropos

atropos Super Rookie

Currency:
    I never knew this section even existed.

Mortis and egb-musiclover like this.
  4. egb-musiclover

Currency:
    lmao me a month or so ago, but once I started reviewing just started posting few of mine here >< it's fun for me xD

Mortis, yoongigloss and atropos like this.
  5. atropos

atropos Super Rookie

Currency:
    I was looking for something new. I'll check this out.

6. x-tra0020

x-tra0020 Super Rookie

Currency:
    I didn't check their EP, i might listen to it

7. egb-musiclover

Currency:
    hmm yea! listen to it! definitely worth a listen

8. yoongigloss

yoongigloss Rookie

Currency:
    angry boi
    NICEEEEE OMG I DIDNT EVEN KNOW THERE WAS AN ALBUM FJDSLJ GOTTA LISTEN LATER

x-tra0020, egb-musiclover and Mortis like this.
  9. Mortis

Mortis Trainee

Currency:
    Professional Lurker
    I should check it out later

x-tra0020 and egb-musiclover like this.
  10. egb-musiclover

Currency:
    lmaoooo go check bruh, it is perfect!
    yep! check it out!

x-tra0020, Mortis and yoongigloss like this.