Mamamoo's Starry Night puts them as a top girl group

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by songqion, Mar 25, 2018.

1. zodiark

zodiark Star

JJ
    Thread about MMM but all I see is people trying to downplay BP success? And people say blinks start shit..

KpopLoverEurope likes this.
  2. magito

magito Celebrity
    . Awards Team

Your mother
    Why? I mean the purpouse of the blackface is different from mamamoo‘s purpouse. They’re not making fun of black people‘s features. They’re doing a song parody. That’s why I think it’s not a blackface. What’s your opinion?
    It was just example to show that they’re not racist because blackface is associated with racism.

songqion and ThisGuy like this.
  3. KawaiiSamii

KawaiiSamii Trendsetter

"Blinks ain't start shit"
    But yall did start shit? I am not sure if replies got deleted but Blinks invaded

4. KpopLoverEurope

Blinks started nothing, someone metioned that the top ggs are Twice, Blackpink, Red Velvet, Mamamoo and Gfriend and then people started saying Bp aren’t in the top 3 cause they don’t have an album and they have a 10 month old “stale” song (Which is YGs fault not Bps)etc and so then Blinks started simply defending their favs as an fan would do, which led to things getting abit more messy and a few argumentative comments later here we are. I hate arguments :(

kmdhyn likes this.
  5. astraeapop

astraeapop Celebrity

I think for me, even if the intent isn't racist the action remains racist. That's why they needed to apologise and I'm so glad they did, and with sincerity because most Kpop artists don't bother (I mean, I stan G-Dragon so obviously this level of ignorance isn't a deal-breaker for me). Obviously they are not racist people (Stan Twitter regularly likes to claim they're everything from Nazis to KKK members *eye-roll*). They don't despise Black people nor are they using their power to institutionally oppress Black people or anyone else. But the act itself was troubling and ignorant so I'm glad they fully addressed it and apologised to the fans it did hurt.

Different people obviously have different readings about these kind of situations so it's cool if you disagree though.

Coelacanth and magito like this.
  6. magito

magito Celebrity
    . Awards Team

Your mother
    I disagree because the intent behind the action makes the action completely different.
    Idk if this is a good example but:
    Itachi attacked Sasuke, to make Sasuke believe he had killed their clan without provocation and for selfish pursuits of power(to test his abilities ). He claimed Sasuke was too weak to even bother killing. Itachi encouraged Sasuke to embrace vengeance in order to get stronger and to come after and kill him to avenge their family.
    True to Itachi's intentions, Sasuke's sole motivation over the following years was to become strong enough to kill his brother. After S succeeded he enjoyed a brief moment of believing he had avenged his family at last, but was shortly afterwards approached by Tobi and informed of the truth behind Itachi's actions.
    Itachi knew that his clan is planning a coup d‘etat to overthrow the leadership of the village. Itachi witnessing the horrors of war knew that a coup d’état would start another Ninja war (his village will be weakened and another villages would attack it) was against it.
    Itachi painfully accepted the mission and killed his entire clan, to protect his village from war and the Uchiha name.
    I know this is a fictional example but there are some in real life too.

But I respect your opinion and that you stated it calmly. Most kpop fans are horny af :D

Maybe I think that their action is not racist because I’m not American and I don’t fully understand the American culture and what it does mean to African-Americans (but this is sth like cosplay). Where I live racism is not an issue...

astraeapop likes this.
  7. funkycucumber

funkycucumber Trainee

Sigh.. for those of you who think mamamoo has racist intent, please watch this, which happened before their unfortunate blackface incident.

Do you really think someone who's racist against black will hug a naked black woman on the streets of new york?

I'm from Asia as well and I will say that this is really not part of our education. We aren't exposed to what Americans learnt about black culture etc. I'm 100% certain mamamoo did it with pure intentions to just mimic bruno mars as realistically as possible without knowing the meaning behind it.

songqion and meister92 like this.
  8. popsupremacist

what's that
    When i first listened to it I didn't like it much, but I love it now, Mamamoo's concepts are always great :) Definitely one of the best girl groups out there, stop sleeping on them

9. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Celebrity

Dancer
    Damn this thread started out so innocent and now you have blinks being very hostile.
    People claiming they are racist...........
    And people playing victim.

Y'all bitches need to shut up cause the top 3 is still.
    Twice
    Red Velvet
    Mamamoo

EazyC and Carolinesmoo like this.
  10. songqion

songqion Public Figure

Wheein enthusiast
    also, they're one of the few female idols that name artists such as beyonce and rihanna as direct influences for their careers

11. songqion

songqion Public Figure

Wheein enthusiast
    i hope so too...but for the moment

meister92 and EazyC like this.
  12. ilovechickenwing

KOREA:
    1. TWICE
    2. MAMAMOO
    3. RED VELVET
    4. BLACKPINK
    5. GFRIEND

INTERNATIONALLY:
    1. BLACKPINK
    2. TWICE
    3. RED VELVET
    4. GFRIEND
    5. MAMAMOO

astraeapop likes this.
  13. songqion

songqion Public Figure

Wheein enthusiast
    quick update:

- Starry Night just got a triple crown on Inkigayo!!! 9 music show wins and still counting :cool: Congrats to these hardworking queens

Music show wins so far:
    - You're the Best x 8
    - Decalcomanie x 1
    - Yes I Am x 7
    - Starry Night x 9
    《Total Wins: 25》

- Currently still holding #2 on ichart despite the tough competition.
    - Currently holding #1 on Billboard Korea top 100

[​IMG]

- Almost 100k likes on melon.
    - Monthly chart (march):

#1 Mnet
    #2 melon
    #2 genie
    #2 Soribada

- 20M views on youtube. Which is a big achievement considering Mamamoo is not that popular internationally.
    - Everyday's CF single debuted at #19 on melon.
    [​IMG]