Mamamoo NEW 4th Universe Video and Photo Teasers

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by crystal105, Nov 8, 2019.

1. crystal105

crystal105 Trainee

Currency:
    Of course, I'm back here spamming Mamamoo content. Sorry but that'll continue until the 14th lmao. But here are today's teasers! Strongly feeling we're getting more than 1 MV. Watching these feels like watching a movie trailer. Indie artist Wheein, CEO Moonbyul, President Hwasa and Rock star Solar. What a world that would be.

VIDEO TEASERS

CONCEPT PHOTOS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So Ten Nights is going to be a ballad, sounds a bit like Good Bye.
    I'm really digging Byul's vocals in rEALITY.
    Hip is definitely sounding like a proper diss/empowerment song, let's get it.
    Did Solar just give us an iconic BRRA 2.0 and 'Destino'? We better get the rock breakdown in Destiny they did on Queendom!

Moonbyul took over RBW as the CEO and that's why we're getting fed.

If you wanna know what they say in the teasers, here (cr. ch0sshi):
    Wheein - Ten Nights
    all ten nights pass
    counting each thing to let go
    i'm closing my eyes again
    after today and tomorrow passes
    i'll make a promise to separation like this
    i'll try letting go

Moonbyul - rEALITY
    make meeting me like this a secret
    rubbing my red eyes

Hwasa - HIP
    attention, reflection
    there's only one you in the world
    but why are you spitting on your [own] face

Solar - HIP
    all i wanna be is cool how i want to be
    head, shoulders, knees, everything, hip

Hallybell, Pixels, PeachZeze and 7 others like this.
  2. YujaJinsoo

YujaJinsoo Married to @Multi_Smile

Currency:
    Eating
    im getting more excited each time , just hurry up

crystal105 and bamboozled_61 like this.
  3. salem9

salem9 Public Figure

Currency:
    “Hip” still sounds like a pre release to me. I’m not feeling it

I might be making conclusions way too soon but i really feel like they lost their musical essence as a group. Which seems weird considering their solo releases are still super cohesive

:sweatr:

vaahiny likes this.
  4. Ash_and_Thorns

Ash_and_Thorns Trendsetter

Currency:
    A Lazy Manager of Something
    Our savior :waterr:

I'm so excited for Rock Mamamoo :angryr:

5. dududu4

dududu4 Newbie

Currency:
    Hip sounds better and better each teaser.

whipped, crystal105 and bamboozled_61 like this.
  6. bamboozled_61

bamboozled_61 Trainee

Currency:
    I am in love with solar's 'hip' verse in the last teaser

crystal105 likes this.
  7. crystal105

crystal105 Trainee

Currency:
    They never really stuck to one sound/genre or at least stick to it for too long. Their concept is just based on their personalities and voices. It's like the transition from Piano Man > UOAY and Yes I am > Starry Night. I think we're just entering a new era :)

astraeapop and Angela_Cao like this.
  8. salem9

salem9 Public Figure

Currency:
    I disagree. Their retro sound was super unique and they had some signature elements too like the funky synths you can hear on “Yes i am” and their previous title tracks

Now I’m just lost. They’re trying to be something that they’re clearly not. What makes it more ironic is that they didn’t seem to understand people’s complains during Queendom. There was a whole issue with the ethnic hip thing and they just happen to call their title track “Hip” ... okay, i guess

I blame this on rbw anyway. I just don’t see any of the tons of money they’re making after milking these girls to the last drop. No new producers, no higher budget for the mvs, no quality. Everything seems rushed. I can somewhat understand why a lot of people still don’t take them seriously as a group. It feels like they’re still stuck with the “comedy” gimmicks of 2015

Sorry if i sound too harsh but I’m kinda tired of putting my money on them and get disappointed every single time since the 4 season project. I know some people might enjoy these songs more than me but this is just my subjective opinion. I know it’s too early to say this but i don’t think i like them as a group anymore

vaahiny and Angela_Cao like this.
  9. whipped

whipped Trainee

Currency:
    Here’s a fan remix of the hip teasers we’ve got so far and i gotta say it sounds amazing! We’re gonna get a full bop

crystal105 likes this.
  10. crystal105

crystal105 Trainee

Currency:
    What? That issue didn't even make it to Korea though. If it did, (G)I-DLE will be in a controversy right now instead of trending. It only blew up on stan twitter. I don't see how the title being Hip relates to that in any way. I just mentioned in the last post we're getting new producers on this album too. The MV budget? They've gone way up since 4 seasons. Comedy? Out of the 4S title tracks, only Gogobebe was fun.

That's what I'm saying. Mamamoo has their eras, it's been 2 years since they did retro stuff. We've had 4 mini albums since then, they're clearly not going back. With their skills, versatility is one of their strong points. They're getting more involved in production as time goes by and to me, that seems more authentic because that is the sound they actually want to put out, not what RBW just gave them. Compare the composition and writing credits from debut to more recent albums. But tbh it's ok to unstan too, every group has their evolutions and maybe their current music style isn't your taste anymore.

11. whipped

whipped Trainee

Currency:
    Mamamoo have always been a group that don’t feel the pressure to keep themselves from goofing around to keep up a pristine and perfect image like most idols do, so if you think this is them “stuck with the comedy gimmicks from 2015” or “trying to be something they’re clearly not” then i have bad news for ya bc this not-taking-themselves-too-seriously attitude is exactly how they are as people lol and will continue to be in the future, and you might as well leave rn to save yourself the disappointment later on when they inevitably do something that doesn’t fit the skewed vision you’ve forced on them, the former of which you’ll label as them not being themselves like you know them better than they do again

Besides i fail to see how this particular cb is them “stuck with the comedy gimmicks” at all when they’re just expressing themselves as independent women doing what they like without caring about what other people think. How is that comedy? It’s more empowerment than anything, and the more light-hearted moments also fit perfectly in line with them feeling comfortable sharing their real personalities despite being idols - a profession that’s notorious for preventing them from freely doing so, so again there’s like nothing particularly funny?

also i can’t at you condemning them for naming their song “hip” which is obviously only a coincidence with the ethnic hip incident lmao, and you do know that the backlash ethnic hip received was entirely on the international side of kpop while koreans weren’t even aware there was anything going on right? So you expecting rbw a very korean-centric company that’s almost allergic to international advancement to be on the know on every little petty stan twitter fight in order to avoid backlash from even the tiniest detail like the aforementioned coincidence is just lolll.....

#11 whipped, Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Angela_Cao likes this.
  12. PeachZeze

PeachZeze Rookie

Currency:
    I never felt so excited for a Mamamoo cb
    Solar and Wheein concepts... wowowowowowowow wow woooww :waterr:

13. salem9

salem9 Public Figure

Currency:
    I've been following them since 2015-2016 and i've been probably the most hardcore fan they have on this forum. I know them. I know they love comedy but from the teasers i keep getting back to the cringy comedy gimmicks of UMAY era (which felt cute at that moment but now feel awkward af, same thing which happened with the gogobebe MV)

We know they are not standard idols; we know they don't give a fuck. But it feels too forced to me when you try to remind that to the public over and over and OVER again. They made a statement with their 'Good Luck' performance. It should be enough

Also, yeah, they obviously want to produce and write more lyrics, but let's be real. They DON'T have time for that. The fact that they hire good producers, at least for one time, it's not going to make them less organic as artists. I prefer them to perform great songs written by another person rather than hearing some rushed and uninspired song who came from the few minutes they have on their free time.

RBW is promoting the group outside SK too. Their obligation as a company is to know what happens with international fans. They had a major scandal in the past due to ignorance and they should make an effort to try to avoid that again in the future. Even more when their performance of Good Luck was also criticized for a similar reason

Angela_Cao likes this.
  14. whipped

whipped Trainee

Currency:
    Basically they staying true to their personalities doesn’t align with what you deem enjoyable bc it’s too cringe for you right? Which is why like i just said you should most probably leave rn to spare yourself more suffering in the future since mamamoo will most definitely continue to act the same way and be as unapologetically themselves as can be even more so from now on. It’s ironic bc you said you don’t want them to “try being something they’re clearly not” when in fact they actually are being who they are, it just doesn’t fit what you want them to be lol

Regarding the last point, all these years being in kpop and you still believe that korean companies, especially small ones like rbw, will ever be “woke” enough by the english-speaking community’s standards or expect them to be on stan twitter all the time to keep up with what’s the next woke thing with westerners hnnn.. It’s one thing to hope that they’ll improve their dealing with sensitive matters but it’s another to fully expect kpop entertainment companies of all things to demonstrate huge leaps in understanding of social issues like racial insensitivity etc. that are way more prevalent internationally than in korea any time soon. That’s just the truth about kpop as a whole whether kpop fans like to admit it or not.
    But even if they did know about the ethnic hip incident, what in the world does that have anything to do with them naming their song “hip” lol it’s clearly a harmless coincidence, there’s nothing wrong with the word hip itself and no one in their right mind can criticise a song for being named hip lol. Condemning them for that is just too silly imo even stan twitter can’t be that out of touch can it

#14 whipped, Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  15. Angela_Cao

Angela_Cao Public Figure

Currency:
    Professional VAMAMOO stan & mathematician wannabe
    TAExas (The Everlasting Radish Farm, TAETAELAND)
    It seems from their teasers so far that they’re trying new waters and going for a variety of genres, not just one specific one-probably even more so than their 4seasons project (going to be way different from their earlier releases when they stuck with jazz and jazz-influenced genres). It’s going to be more interesting to see how it will turn out.

crystal105 likes this.
  16. Hallybell

Hallybell Leader

Currency:
    They are definitely going to explore different sides of womanhood. I am really excited by this comeback. :loverr3:

crystal105 likes this.
  17. astraeapop

astraeapop Celebrity

Currency:
    This is quite a baffling post to me.

Their retro sound definitely set them apart but they have always dabbled in other sounds. By 'You're the Best' they were playing in pop territory and putting out hip-hop leaning songs like 'Taller than You.' They have never wanted to stay in the same lane musically. Retro pop / jazz was never their USP imo (unique selling point) although some may disagree. I personally love that they evolve, and that's what I prefer in my acts. I think it would be troubling if by now, five years later, they were still playing in the exact same musical wheelhouse. Particularly given how broad the girls' tastes are and how musically gifted they are individually.

What does the bolded have to do with this title track? Genuinely confused at what the issue is with calling a song "Hip"...? The word has many meanings including the body part. In this context it refers to "fashionable" or "cool", a word in teen movies of a certain era. I also hear a lot of funk in the guitar on Hip, akin to Yes I Am, just further evolved. But we'll wait and hear the full track, it could be a derivative song like GogoBebe, who knows.

If you look at the tracklist though, it's littered with new producers. 8/11 tracks are not produced by their core team (KDH/PWS), out of those 8, Cosmic Girl who has worked with them before only produced about 2.

I get the complaint on videos to some degree but at least from the teasers of this era I'm not feeling too negatively about it. I think quite a bit of budget went into this concept. But we'll have to see how the official video looks before I pass judgment. I also think their videos have improved in value over time to a large degree. Starry Night, Egotistic and Wind Flower are really solid videos but I get if others don't agree.
    I can understand if you dislike their concept. But their true core, the USP, the thing that truly was the beating heart of Mamamoo is their playful, open and passionate approach to music and performance, particularly distinctive vocals and expressiveness. That's what set them apart. Even the dude who formed them has said as much. It means that whatever genre they tackled, they kept shades of that at the core. They were never going to be making jazz retro music five years into their career. They retain some of their ties to that in some of their vocal delivery as well as B-sides (from what I hear of this album).

Definitely if they don't do it for you anymore, you should probably take a break from them or maybe not follow them any longer. I've done that with plenty acts whose output doesn't click for me anymore.

Random aside. This reminds me a lot of discussions Little Mix fans used to have a few years ago when the group shifted from more R&B-focused sounds to straightforward pop (Black Magic). And a part of fandom was really not here for it but it was also the era that was hugely successful and then opened the door to an even more successful era for the group with Glory Days and beyond. Now they do still make R&B (they did on B-sides even if the singles were more pop-friendly) but they also explore a range of genres (reggae, dance, pop, rock, alt etc.) and it's quite a treat for those who like variety. Especially because they've retained their USP, much like MMM imo, i.e. the focus on being a vocal harmony group.

18. Hermes1

Hermes1 Elite

Currency:
  19. salem9

salem9 Public Figure

Currency:
    I might be nit picking but to me Starry Night could’ve been soo much better without the obnoxious use of zoom on every single take. My frustration comes from a place where i see groups with wayy less interesting concepts but yet with so creative and playful music videos. I’m kinda tired of RBW relying so much on the comic gimmicks over and over again. It seems like the girls do all the work and it definitely seems like they don’t have time to breathe

It was not only the retro vibe which set them apart from the rest. It was the genuine interest from delivering something musically interesting; from the harmonies to the unexpected chords and rap segmets. You can still make great pop music without sounding like every single party music artist in the US (You’re the best being the biggest example in this case)

I love when artists evolve but their evolution has gone downwards in terms of musical quality. They rely on the same structures, formulas and elements of the mainstream from either the US or Latin America. Nothing new over the table. It just seems like they’re doing a little stop on every popular genre at the moment and doing something predictable with it. The only place where i definitely think they keep stepping forward is on the solos and concert arrangements

It is not a mystery that they became more mainstream in order to appeal more fans. And I’m not really into that. Heck, even JYP is doing more interesting music with Itzy than Mamamoo as a group

Yeah, it’s just my approach of how everything turned out for them this year. I didn’t enjoy gogobebe that much but i was genuinely happy with Twit and Goodbye so it’s a confused feeling. They are basically the only thing that keeps me into kpop so i think this might be my moment to let it go ^^

20. salem9

salem9 Public Figure

Currency:
    Okay, update here. I eat all my damn words, I’m really excited now !! That last teaser is everything. I really thought this was going to be a rap song and i felt kinda frustrated :sweatr:

astraeapop likes this.