Mamamoo Hip MV feminist imagery and concept?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by crystal105, Nov 27, 2019.

1. crystal105

crystal105 Super Rookie

Currency:
    Hip is clearly a self-empowering song just based on the lyrics directly addressing the hate comments Mamamoo got. But I came across an interesting observation on the MV today, just thought I'd share.

Mamamoo chose the professions to play themselves. Aside from the roles fitting their personalities, 2 things stood out to me. Moonbyul's roles were usually male-dominated (director, choreographer, CEO). Hwasa as a mother is unexpected since most companies won't even touch the idea of idols dating. I just appreciated how she chose to highlight motherhood as important.

Former 9 Muses Sera also talked about seeing Mamamoo as feminist icons in Korea and leaders of the corset-free movement. At the end, she shares her interpretation of the album and concept.

Adecasc, Hallybell, Menean and 4 others like this.
  2. Angela_Cao

Angela_Cao Hwasa's Alt allkpop Account

Currency:
    As they say, music is a universal language/form of communication and it’s nice that MAMAMOO took this as an advantage for themselves to not only portray their own thoughts about being in such a current situation in their own job (being ridiculed for what they do (especially Hwasa, being in the spotlight for SK’s “It Girl”)), but also a social theme/issue that has been in taboo in a conservative society like South Korea. Hwasa’s job as a mother might be seen as oppressive by most feminists (since in a patriarchal society, it’s a primary (and often at times, the only) job that a woman can have), but she took it the job as an empowering role, as OP has said, to poke fun at an equally-oppressive rule of idols not allowed to date.

Hallybell, crystal105 and bananamilk like this.
  3. bananamilk

bananamilk Idol

Currency:
    I love HIP's message

crystal105 likes this.
  4. Hallybell

Hallybell Married to @misoni

Currency:
    The first time that I saw the mv, I thought that they were exploring different sides of womanhood and were encouraging women to be themselves.

bananamilk likes this.
  5. bananamilk

bananamilk Idol

Currency:
    I think that's right

Hallybell likes this.