Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

Main/lead vocalists and line distribution

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by nicfanz, Apr 22, 2018.

?

Why good vocalists don't get lines?

1. They are not cute

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  2. Their voice is not stable

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. Their voice doesn't fit the song

17 vote(s)
    43.6%
  4. They are not popular

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  5. The company plays favorites

9 vote(s)
    23.1%
  6. Other

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. nicfanz

nicfanz Artist

I've been looking at line distributions for different groups and I noticed that a lot of the times the main or lead vocalists (who have the strongest voices in the groups) don't always get the most lines.

SUPER JUNIOR

[​IMG]

Yesung is considered the main vocalist along with Kyuhyun and Ryewook in Super Junior. But Sorry Sorry he got only 4 seconds less lines than Sungmin, Donghae and Siwon. I like Siwon but is his voice stronger than Yesung? Hell no.

[​IMG]
    Another song Yesung received less lines than Donghae, Siwon, Leeteuk, Eunhyuk, and Sungmin. I'm not putting Ryeowook and Kyu because they are main vocalists also. Again why is one of the main vocalist (Yesung was ranked 2 in SuJu best voices) singing less than sub vocalists?

EXO

[​IMG]

Fans put Chen, Baekhyun, DO and Xiumin in the vocal line. Xiumin is classified as lead vocalist. But his lines are always towards the bottom. He should be fifth in line distribution at worst.

The only exception I can think of is BTS in which Jungkook is the main vocalist and gets the most lines and everyone agrees because he has the most stable and versatile voice. But 90% of the time the top vocalists in the group don't necessarily have the most lines. Do you agree with that and why do you think that happens? Is it because the best voice is not very good looking or unpopular? Is it because their voice don't fit the song?

sonemariam and ItsMilly43 like this.
  2. mirella

mirella Artist

rapline enthusiast
    Hmm, interesting. Yesung and Xiumin definitely deserve more lines from the examples you showed, though they might have more lines in other songs so I'm not entirely sure.

However, I think that for the most part, companies know who has the strongest technique. Generally, main vocals are supposed to be main vocals, lead vocals are supposed to be lead vocals, and sub vocals are supposed to be sub vocals.

There are very few cases where lead vocals are better than main vocals, and even fewer where sub vocals are better than main vocals.

Take Red Velvet's Wendy for example. She is one of the least popular members of Red Velvet, yet she's still the main vocalist for her outstanding vocal skill. It would be ridiculous if a more popular member (Irene or Joy, perhaps?) were a main vocal.

3. Cutie888

Cutie888 Legend

It’s understandable if a group has a lot of members but if they have 5 or 6 members and the good vocalist still don’t get lines...... then I don’t know what’s up.

Of course there are a lot of times where their voice doesn’t fit the song but it’s not always the case

4. ItsMilly43

ItsMilly43 Artist

I can't speak for SuJu, because I can't figure it out.

But with EXO, Baekhyun, Chen and DO have arguably the strongest vocals and widest range. Although I wish Xiumin and Lay got more lines because I love their vocals. I would like equal line distribution for them (or as close as possible).

sonemariam likes this.
  5. nicfanz

nicfanz Artist

But in CMB, Xiumin got less lines than Sehun and even fans admit Sehun is the weakest vocalist. Obviously SM don't based line distribution on pure talent

ItsMilly43 likes this.
  6. ItsMilly43

ItsMilly43 Artist

Xiuminie always gets screwed over with line distribution though. And I don't understand why.

sonemariam and SleeplessNight like this.
  7. nicfanz

nicfanz Artist

Do you agree that in most cases, the best voices don't always get the most parts? Do you think companies look at other factors instead of pure vocal talent? Do you think that line distribution should be based on who's the best singer or should there be other factors (e.g. popularity, looks, dancing, charisma)

ItsMilly43 likes this.
  8. ItsMilly43

ItsMilly43 Artist

I think it depends on the band. I know in EXO, DO, Chen and Baek have the strongest voices so they get the most lines (It sucks, but when there are more than 5 people in a band, some of them are going to be screwed over).

But in other bands I do think it's a popularity thing over talent.

I think line distribution should be as equal as possible. The members are in the band for a reason, they obviously have some talent and they should be able to showcase it.

sonemariam likes this.
  9. nicfanz

nicfanz Artist

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do you think of BTS line distribution? Do you think it's fair. Majority of BTS fans think their line distribution is good because JK is the main vocalist which means he gets the most lines every time and Jin is the weakest vocalist so he gets least lines. But then you have groups like Super Junior where Yesung gets less lines than sub vocalists and EXO's Xiumin always ranking towards the bottom of line distribution.

10. ItsMilly43

ItsMilly43 Artist

I've always thought Jin deserved more lines (Awake is so beautiful!). V as well.

This is why I want it to be more equally distributed. Each member has a fangroup that wants to hear more of them.

sonemariam and nicfanz like this.
  11. nicfanz

nicfanz Artist

Sadly Armys still think Jin is not talented and doesn't want him to get lines. They think 1-2 seconds is good enough since Jin "can't sing." :(

12. Kawaii8

Kawaii8 Entertainer

I think BTS is one of the better groups in terms of line distribution... they've been giving a lot more lines to Jin and V lately

13. nicfanz

nicfanz Artist

[​IMG]

ItsMilly43 likes this.
  14. LYNNinyourarea

I think it also depends on the song. Sometimes the voices of the other members just fit a song better than the voice of the main/lead vocal, just because of their different timbre.
    2nd - If the main vocalist sings the most parts in every song they release, it’s also pretty hard for them, when they hold a concert. If a song doesn’t require plenty of high notes, it’s completely okay for me, when some lead or sub vocalists sing more than the actual main vocalist - they also need some time to shine and easy songs are perfect to showcase their ability :)

In BLACKPINK Jennie (main rapper/vocalist) sings just as much as Rosé (main vocalist), while Jisoo (lead vocalist) gets less lines. Whistle, Boombayah and Stay were okay, but in AIIYL or Playing With Fire it seemed like Jennie is the lead or even main vocalist. But for me. It’s okay. Those songs were quite powerful and I think Jisoo has more problems hitting higher notes than Jennie, so.. it’s fine. I still hope Jisoo will have the chance to sing more in the future - they should let Jennie rap again :)

sonemariam, nicfanz and ItsMilly43 like this.
  15. Kawaii8

Kawaii8 Entertainer

QUOTE="nicfanz, post: 2726733, member: 87672"]

[​IMG]
    that was an ad. that was cute, you tried. I was talking about an actual and recent comeback they've made this month.

In Let go, Jin had the third most lines right after the two main singers... and in Don't Leave me Jin had the second most lines while V had a decent amount

#15 Kawaii8, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    ItsMilly43 likes this.
  16. LacriMosa95

LacriMosa95 Artist

I don't think comparing other group with BTS line distribution with only 1 song sample from each group is enough to compare how their line distribution is..

images (7).jpeg images (5).jpeg images (4).jpeg images.jpeg images (2).jpeg
    And a lot more songs, so no..
    Main vocalist not always get more lines including BTS (i don't agree with you on that).

About OP questions, i can't speak for other groups but for BTS, i think it depends on how well the voices matches the flow of the song, so they can deliver it perfectly, i don't think it's always based on popularity or visuals because in the end they are all groups of singers and rapper that want to reach and attract people with their music and voices, not solely of their looks..

Also for jungkook, he's also dance line and good stamina and stable than the others, that i agree and those might be things to be considered as well, but after watching burn the stage i think it became backfired to have more lines especially on concert, you get more overwhelmed, more pressured and more exhausted to the point he passed out..

I think that's the reason why in recent albums, they slowly cut back Jungkook lines and give more to the others to balanced it out.

Attached Files:

17. nicfanz

nicfanz Artist

Thanks for your insightful response. It's the most logical answer I've seen whenever I ask this question. Usually I get "IDK but it sucks though." I guess you're right that if a song is easy enough, the sub vocalists can take over and give the main singers a break.

18. Chaittra

Chaittra Star

Jennie is ALSO the lead vocalist though:whatr:

LYNNinyourarea and Treya like this.
  19. Kaikat

Kaikat Artist

different members get different amount of lines for different songs based on their skills, though I agree some of them such as jeongyeon, jin are deprived of lines but that's how it is because, for bts, even the members themselves participate in song producing and line distribution so who are we to complain? I don't get these fans always complaining about line distribution because this ain't gonna lead to anything, the parts will be given to those who suit the song better and when the artists themselves agree to it then we should respect whatever they came up with

20. nicfanz

nicfanz Artist

I think fans have the right to complain if their bias continually gets shafted in line distribution department. If their favorite member gets a lot of lines of course they don't have a problem. If your bias isn't getting the least lines I don't believe you have a right to tell what other fans can say or don't say. That's why I have a problem with Armys telling Jin stans to calm down and respect Big Hit. Their favorite isn't Jin so they don't understand.

sonemariam likes this.